Thread Rating:

EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 434
July 15th, 2012 at 6:16:23 PM permalink
Quote: Face

Come TEOTWAWKI, while we'd regress into the old times,.

The old times were the old times because of a
lack of knowledge and technology. We would
lose electric, not our minds and not our books
and not our educations. A small number of
people would run wild for awhile, but they would
be dealt with. We would use our intelligence
and reorganize and move on.

This makes really good movie fodder, however.
Dozens of years of worst case scenerio movies
have brainwashed us into thinking we are just.
a hairs bredth away from babarism. We aren't.
"It's not enough to succeed, your friends must fail." Gore Vidal
Face
Administrator
Face
  • Threads: 49
July 15th, 2012 at 6:46:02 PM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

The old times were the old times because of a
lack of knowledge and technology. We would
lose electric, not our minds and not our books
and not our educations. A small number of
people would run wild for awhile, but they would
be dealt with. We would use our intelligence
and reorganize and move on.

This makes really good movie fodder, however.
Dozens of years of worst case scenerio movies
have brainwashed us into thinking we are just.
a hairs bredth away from babarism. We aren't.

I wouldn't go so far to think we'd all go mad and regress to cavemen overnight, but there'd most definitely be SOME regression, at least by our standards. There'd be NO formal corrections, no formal police, no formal rule. At the very least, it'd be like the stereotypical "wild west". Law and order, sure, just a rougher version than we're used to.
The opinions of this moderator are for entertainment purposes only.
scire
scire
  • Threads: 9
July 15th, 2012 at 7:10:31 PM permalink
BOB you are limiting what might cause "the end" to an electrical disturbance (loss) only? is that what you are saying?
Tell me what you think about continuing huge solar flares overheating our planet disrupting everything for an indefinite period of time making it difficult or even impossible to go outside-ruining crops and all commerce. Or a reverse in the electomagnetic field of the planet or the moon or both what that might cause.

Just continuing here in thought for continuance. What about severe increases in the planet's temperature for indefinite period of time with no electricity?

Where would people move too if the planet had a 30-50 degree average increase & without electricity? Faced with a "bombastic castastrophy" I wonder what survivalist would do....forever in their bunkers as the internal core of the earth gets hotter"

Could this not "change" people into "ragers". I just don't REALLY know? Who could? Anyone? ....I suspect it could????

(of course I do not expect these things to happen- really -- I am not brainwashed anyway just hypothisizing (sic)?)

As I said in a earlier post ...we really don't know what an "end" would be like

I certainly hope many could overcome such a debacle - for extended periods of time with civility.
zippyboy
zippyboy
  • Threads: 2
July 15th, 2012 at 7:21:42 PM permalink
If some event wiped out half the populace, as well as all electricity, we'd be screwed. Sure, we'd have some knowledge of the way things were, and textbooks we could read, but remember the universities are closed now, and they won't be churning out any more physicists to reopen all the nuclear reactors that closed down. Or doctors, botanists, etc. Those reactors and hospitals were likely looted to bare bones anyway. Get enough smart people together and they can figure out steam power enough to get the lights on in a few years for a small community, but large scale power for cities is beyond their grasp, IMO.
"Poker sure is an easy game to beat if you have the roll to keep rebuying."
EvenBob
EvenBob
July 15th, 2012 at 7:25:43 PM permalink
Read Stephen King's 'The Stand'.
Face
Administrator
Face
  • Threads: 49
July 15th, 2012 at 7:36:05 PM permalink
Quote: zippyboy

If some event wiped out half the populace, as well as all electricity, we'd be screwed. Sure, we'd have some knowledge of the way things were, and textbooks we could read, but remember the universities are closed now, and they won't be churning out any more physicists to reopen all the nuclear reactors that closed down. Or doctors, botanists, etc. Those reactors and hospitals were likely looted to bare bones anyway. Get enough smart people together and they can figure out steam power enough to get the lights on in a few years for a small community, but large scale power for cities is beyond their grasp, IMO.

Cities are a condensation of mass residential and commercial areas. With commerce as we know it over, cities are no longer needed. There is almost nothing of need in a city in apocalyptic times. People move out to where there's resources. An area high in resources will attrack many people, who pool their talents and establish a town. Perhaps from there a city may rise again.

In other words, the world is recreated in our image, probably following the same path we've established.
The opinions of this moderator are for entertainment purposes only.
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 179
July 15th, 2012 at 7:37:15 PM permalink
If there is a worldwide Tsunami of Diarrhea(TM), I might consider packing it in should I survive the intial wave.
The Hall of Unverified Claims is a vast place with many shelves.
pacomartin
pacomartin
  • Threads: 649
July 16th, 2012 at 4:17:51 AM permalink
Quote: scire

Also, easy to become "savage like" when one is truly hungry AND not accustomed to it- possibly facing panic/fear of death. The only thing that will keep a large amount of a "populace" from "taking over roving" would be Police or Martial Law provided by the State or Federal government again assuming they could function as they do now by arresting and locking up the violators or possibly a shoot on site a violator scenario ??/would there be enough AMMO for them then for accurate control???). There would be a lot of violators to lock up would there not be?? Without electricity the Court system would grind to a halt too.

I was in the islands during Hurricane Hugo. Houses were blown down everywhere, all the electricity was lost (except for generators). People turn savage long before the hunger gets to them. Within hours the high priced shops that cater to the wealthy Cruise ship tourists were being ripped apart. While in a class society where the rich have so much compared to the poor, this reaction was not particularly surprising. But by the next days the single mothers who sell t-shirts on the street were being hounded and robbed. The hardware stores were being stripped clean. Gunfire was erupting in the streets as gangs with machetes roamed the streets, and the prisoners escaped from the blown down jails. By the third day it was all machine guns and police and even some politicians were photographed taking part in the looting.

It ended up being the first time in almost two decades that the military was used to control the civilian population in a US state or territory.
SACR
SACR
  • Threads: 7
July 16th, 2012 at 4:57:08 AM permalink
I think EvenBob is way too optimistic.

Did you see what happened after Katrina? Gangs roved the streets, and the police couldn't do anything because THEY WERE UNDER ATTACK FROM GANGS OF CRIMINALS. Societal controls had broken down so badly that the police were given permission to shoot looters. Think about that: capital punishment FOR STEALING FOOD.

Thinking it would be bad for a few days and then we would all magically get it under control is way too optimistic.

In situations where all societal control breaks down, people's interests turn only to the survival of themselves and their loved ones. The idea of caring for your neighbor and helping others is secondary to survival.
EvenBob
EvenBob
July 16th, 2012 at 8:33:36 PM permalink
Quote: SACR

I think EvenBob is way too optimistic.

Did you see what happened after Katrina?

You're confusing what happens in the extreme short
term with whats going to happen over time. What
happens in the first few weeks is meaningless, its
to be expected. No society has a history of lawlessnes
that goes on forever. Especially no civalized society.

• Jump to: