Thread Rating:

jmills
jmills
  • Threads: 8
July 28th, 2020 at 10:38:01 AM permalink
It's one of the may vagaries of the English language. Losing rhymes with choosing and goosing, but not with closing, hosing, nosing, or posing. How any one manages to learn English as a second language is beyond me.
BedWetterBetter
BedWetterBetter
  • Threads: 33
August 20th, 2020 at 2:23:45 PM permalink
Not to hard to figure out. The double O in words like Loosing, Choosing & Goosing produces a sound similar to "ooooo" or "u". A single O surrounded by consonants produces the Hard O sound.
unJon
unJon
  • Threads: 13
August 20th, 2020 at 3:10:40 PM permalink
Quote: BedWetterBetter

Not to hard to figure out. The double O in words like Loosing, Choosing & Goosing produces a sound similar to "ooooo" or "u". A single O surrounded by consonants produces the Hard O sound.

You pronounce losing with a hard O and not a u?
The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong; but that is the way to bet.
billryan
billryan 
  • Threads: 175
August 20th, 2020 at 3:52:09 PM permalink
Quote: OnceDear

I used loose-leaf books at college, but back in my youth, school 'exercise books' were stapled. 'Loose-leaf' would only tend to be used as an adjective here.

A favourite pet peeve of mine is "He should of" : Quite commonly heard in my region.

You are hearing incorrectly. The people are saying he should've, but it sounds like should of.
onenickelmiracle
onenickelmiracle
  • Threads: 209
August 20th, 2020 at 4:04:17 PM permalink
I used to have a signature which gave the incorrect usage on purpose elsewhere. Thought things were so bad, even funnier making it worse by educating improper usage as proper.
In the land of the blind, the man with one eye is the care taker. Hold my beer.
darkoz
darkoz
  • Threads: 238
August 20th, 2020 at 4:34:16 PM permalink
Quote: onenickelmiracle

I used to have a signature which gave the incorrect usage on purpose elsewhere. Thought things were so bad, even funnier making it worse by educating improper usage as proper.

It's playing loosey-goosey with the English language.

On another forum someone chastised another forum members English by calling them a GENUS in a sarcastic manner.

Everybody was quick to pounce on his misspelling of genius
For Whom the bus tolls; The bus tolls for thee
Ace2
Ace2 
  • Threads: 22
August 20th, 2020 at 7:29:25 PM permalink
And why does almost everyone spell the country Colombia as Columbia ?
Itís all about making that GTA
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 73
August 20th, 2020 at 7:32:13 PM permalink
Quote: Ace2

And why does almost everyone spell the country Colombia as Columbia ?

Because most Americans are familiar with The District of Columbia and Columbia College and University.

I was surprised when I took my daughter to visit Columbia University that it was basically in Harlem. Apparently all I knew was that it was in New York City.
Living longer does not always infer +EV
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 424
August 20th, 2020 at 7:33:06 PM permalink
I loosen my belt after a big dinner.
That's the only loosing I do..
"It's not enough to succeed, your friends must fail." Gore Vidal
Ace2
Ace2 
  • Threads: 22
August 20th, 2020 at 7:40:34 PM permalink
Quote: DRich

Because most Americans are familiar with The District of Columbia and Columbia College and University.

I was surprised when I took my daughter to visit Columbia University that it was basically in Harlem. Apparently all I knew was that it was in New York City.

I believe thereís a Columbia River as well. But I donít see that as a valid reason to misspell the name of a significant country thatís fairly close to the USA
Itís all about making that GTA

• Jump to: