TigerWu
TigerWu
  • Threads: 21
Thanks for this post from:
smoothgrh
December 7th, 2019 at 8:02:07 AM permalink
There's a TV station that will rerun old Johnny Carson episodes of The Tonight Show. Everyone always talks about how great Carson was, and how much better he was than Leno or Fallon or whoever, but man, if you just watch some random episode and not a "best of" compilation or anything, some of it is just downright terrible. I can't even watch most of it, it's so bad. The monologues are unfunny, very little laughter in the audience, the guest interviews are awkward, skits are dumb.... I mean, of all the thousands of episodes he did, they obviously can't all be gems, but people are definitely looking at Johnny with rose colored glasses, that's for dang sure.
Rigondeaux
Rigondeaux
  • Threads: 30
December 7th, 2019 at 9:13:05 AM permalink
Quote: TigerWu

There's a TV station that will rerun old Johnny Carson episodes of The Tonight Show. Everyone always talks about how great Carson was, and how much better he was than Leno or Fallon or whoever, but man, if you just watch some random episode and not a "best of" compilation or anything, some of it is just downright terrible. I can't even watch most of it, it's so bad. The monologues are unfunny, very little laughter in the audience, the guest interviews are awkward, skits are dumb.... I mean, of all the thousands of episodes he did, they obviously can't all be gems, but people are definitely looking at Johnny with rose colored glasses, that's for dang sure.

Too soon.
beachbumbabs
Administrator
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 99
December 7th, 2019 at 9:34:42 AM permalink

He was very much a product and a reflection of his times. And he had 90 minutes to fill for the first (about) 20 years he was on. It was also a show meant to be watched from bed, so it was somewhat soporific by design. All the loud or funny stuff was usually front-loaded.

But in the 60s and a lot of the 70s, and especially for comedians, you had not "made it" until you were invited on his show.
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 424
December 7th, 2019 at 10:03:36 AM permalink

You mean the culture of the 60's and 70's
was in a different place than today? Wow,
you're onto something, better write that
down.
"It's not enough to succeed, your friends must fail." Gore Vidal
TigerWu
TigerWu
December 7th, 2019 at 10:37:13 AM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

You mean the culture of the 60's and 70's
was in a different place than today? Wow,
you're onto something, better write that
down.

That has absolutely nothing to do with what I said.
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 424
December 7th, 2019 at 10:57:33 AM permalink

That has absolutely nothing to do with what I said.

Sure it does. Carson was never not
funny and boring, it's the times that
have changed. His humor isn't funny
anymore.
"It's not enough to succeed, your friends must fail." Gore Vidal
TigerWu
TigerWu
Thanks for this post from:
Forager
December 7th, 2019 at 11:04:39 AM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

Sure it does. Carson was never not
funny and boring, it's the times that
have changed. His humor isn't funny
anymore.

You can watch some of his old stuff now and it's still funny. My point was that people only remember the good Carson bits, ignore the 75% of it that was crap, and try to put him up on some pedestal. That's all regardless of cultural changes; 75% of late night talk shows nowadays are crap, too.
GWAE
GWAE
  • Threads: 93
December 7th, 2019 at 11:19:32 AM permalink
Quote: beachbumbabs

No, it's new, part of Disney+ content. It will be exclusive to them for as long as they run the streaming service, not licensed out. They also withdrew a lot of quality content from Netflix, Hulu, etc. when they started this service last month.

All the Disney and Pixar movies and TV series, all the Marvel Comic movies, all the Star Wars series and movies, all National Geographic content. Probably a lot of ABC properties will go there also, since they're part of the same company.

There is some stuff out there that has external licensing still running, but it will continue to be withdrawn into their library.

I heard they were going to do that months ago but it does t seem like they did. I wonder if they plan on it still or if they have enough subscribers that they are ok with not pulling from hulu. I
Expect the worst and you will never be disappointed. I AM NOT PART OF GWAE RADIO SHOW
beachbumbabs
Administrator
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 99
December 7th, 2019 at 6:05:08 PM permalink
Quote: GWAE

I heard they were going to do that months ago but it does t seem like they did. I wonder if they plan on it still or if they have enough subscribers that they are ok with not pulling from hulu. I

They have contracts with a lot of people for their properties. Not all those contracts have ended, but as they do, Disney says they're not renewing them.
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
Boz
Boz
  • Threads: 154
December 7th, 2019 at 8:00:54 PM permalink
Quote: beachbumbabs

He was very much a product and a reflection of his times. And he had 90 minutes to fill for the first (about) 20 years he was on. It was also a show meant to be watched from bed, so it was somewhat soporific by design. All the loud or funny stuff was usually front-loaded.

But in the 60s and a lot of the 70s, and especially for comedians, you had not "made it" until you were invited on his show.

The channel “Decades” has him on at night. It’s one of those digital channels you get on cable Tier packages and supposedly over the air with a digital TV.

Recently watched Jim Carrey’s first appearance, shaky to say the least and wasn’t an indication of how huge he would become.

• Jump to: