AxiomOfChoice
AxiomOfChoice
  • Threads: 32
April 6th, 2014 at 8:33:22 PM permalink
The funny thing is, I never get popcorn or soda when I go to the movies. I will occasionally spring for a jumbo sized box of junior mints. Man, I love junior mints...
Toes14
Toes14
  • Threads: 18
April 6th, 2014 at 8:39:17 PM permalink
I always pick up my own candy before hitting a movie. Better selection and lower prices. I try to pass on the popcorn and soda.
"Bite my Glorious Golden Ass!" - Bender Bending Rodriguez
Tomspur
Tomspur
  • Threads: 28
April 6th, 2014 at 8:41:09 PM permalink
Guys, watching a movie without popcorn is like imagining gambling with the WOO website!!!

It is sacrilege I tell you!!! :)
“There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man.” - Winston Churchill
beachbumbabs
Administrator
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 99
April 6th, 2014 at 8:48:54 PM permalink
Quote: Tomspur

Guys, watching a movie without popcorn is like imagining gambling with the WOO website!!!

Guilty. Must have popcorn and soda. Never eat popcorn unless at movies. But it's just comme il faut, vraiment.
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
LarryS
LarryS
  • Threads: 67
April 6th, 2014 at 9:59:57 PM permalink
there is something about eating in the dark while paying attention to something else that seems to cause an extreme mess.

Gummy bears and milk duds fall to the floor and get ground in, soda gets spilled on the floor or down the sides of the chair leaving a sticky mess, popcorn with the oil gets dropped on the floor making an area slippery All leaving a cesspool of sugar and crud that would attract insects and rats. And the theater owner is responsible for cleaning the uncarpeted floors, the carpets drenched in soda and ground in junior mints, the sticky chairs, and the pest control service. I was at a movie last week and there was a family with 3 kids, andthe mess the kids left would easily cause an hours worth of cleanup.They are responsible for providing adequate restroom facilities. Comfortable controlled temperature. Pay the wages for all he people that work there, from the ticket seller to the ticket taker, to the manager on duty, projection person.Pay the rent and insurance, utilities. Pay for the massive disposal of the bags and bags of garbage left behind.The one dollar that the theater gets to keep from a ticket sale doesnt begin to pay for all that.

The alternative would be for theaters to charge 17.50 a ticket. That way everyone pays...even f they dont eat. ...which doesnt seem fair.I would be willing to bet that if people stopped buying food, or everyone started to sneak in outside food....the price of the tickets would go up. The theater will generate enough money to pay all those expenses I listed, along with making a profit one wayor the other....or else they would be out of business.

I agree with people who say that they dont have to eat. Actually when I buy food....its usually all eaten before the movie starts. So its not like I enjoy the food during the movie. But its more like a ritual then needed nourishment. When I am at work I can go 2 hours without eating or drinking.....so I have no real requirment to eat during a movie....so i can see the point of not needing to eat if you dont want to pay.
AxiomOfChoice
AxiomOfChoice
  • Threads: 32
April 6th, 2014 at 10:03:41 PM permalink

I dunno. It's not that I don't like popcorn, it's just that I don't really associate it with movie watching. Same with soda. If I watch a movie at home I don't usually eat or drink anything (sometimes I make tea)
Tomspur
Tomspur
April 6th, 2014 at 10:14:33 PM permalink
Quote: AxiomOfChoice

I dunno. It's not that I don't like popcorn, it's just that I don't really associate it with movie watching. Same with soda. If I watch a movie at home I don't usually eat or drink anything (sometimes I make tea)

I would imagine it is a sensory experience that was cultivated at a young age. I have always associated popcorn, the smell, the taste the texture, with movies, albeit in the theatres or at home.

My wife doesn't have that type of experience. She grew up in a small farming community and didn't go to the movies as much as I had. She is quite happy with a bottle of water when she goes to the movies. In the beginning of our relationship she attempted to get me not to eat popcorn and I told her, there was more chance of me voting for another Bush then me not having popcorn in the movies :)

To each his own. I once saw 4 movies in one day at the movie theater. Yet another day a friend and I watched a star trek special screening of, I think it was 5 or 6 movies. For each movie you get a free small drink and popcorn. Even after we could no longer eat popcorn, we would still get our free drink and popcorn and power them down.......

For me, it simply is what it is :)
“There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man.” - Winston Churchill
pacomartin
pacomartin
  • Threads: 649
April 7th, 2014 at 12:31:52 AM permalink
Quote: AxiomOfChoice

I spent $400 on lunch yesterday ($400 was my portion; I was with friends and we all payed our share). I am also not a wine drinker; the wine drinkers spent closer to $700 or $800 each.

Now the French Laundry which is probably the most expensive restaurant in the USA charges a fixed price of $295 for dinner (SERVICE INCLUDED).

Since wine could cost almost anything, you could easily spend $400 for a meal. But I have not ever heard of anyone spending that much for lunch without wine. So where did you go and what did you eat?
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
  • Threads: 265
April 7th, 2014 at 1:02:20 AM permalink

I think a great deal depends upon what we associate with movie going behavior from our individual childhoods and past experiences.

For me, that meant go to woolworths first and buy gum drops and jelly beans in small easily concealable bags and then walk right on past the popcorn. Unfortunately it also meant arriving at some time that usually bore no relationship at all to the start time of the movie, so we had to sit through the next feature to figure out "where we had come in".

In a social situation if one person wants popcorn, everyone has to partake. Perhaps that is why "movie bars" exist. Its more of a social activity now.

Now, tickets are for one showing only and corporate ownership issues encourage security guards to enforce "no outside food or drink" signs.
Tomspur
Tomspur
April 7th, 2014 at 1:05:29 AM permalink
Quote: FleaStiff

I think a great deal depends upon what we associate with movie going behavior from our individual childhoods and past experiences.

For me, that meant go to woolworths first and buy gum drops and jelly beans in small easily concealable bags and then walk right on past the popcorn. Unfortunately it also meant arriving at some time that usually bore no relationship at all to the start time of the movie, so we had to sit through the next feature to figure out "where we had come in".

In a social situation if one person wants popcorn, everyone has to partake. Perhaps that is why "movie bars" exist. Its more of a social activity now.

Now, tickets are for one showing only and corporate ownership issues encourage security guards to enforce "no outside food or drink" signs.

Spot on Flea, I believe I mentioned something very similar in a post above.

• Jump to: