Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
  • Threads: 11
Thanks for this post from:
Mission146odiousgambit
July 23rd, 2021 at 11:06:19 AM permalink
Quote: tuttigym

Quill pens are out because PETA would harass users. So you do not personally write short warm notes on special occasion cards and then sign them? Handwritten or printed notes and letters are not "out" or "old fashioned," they convey special sentiments -- mostly good, but sometimes bad.

Remember these are "Pet Peeves." There are NO right or wrong answers.

tuttigym

Quill pens are out because it's easier for the average joe to buy a plastic inkpen for a dime than to pluck a goose and whittle a nib.
Plus, of course, the sexual harassment aspect of pigtails and inkwells.
Cursive script is falling out of popularity since a writing method that was explicitly designed to minimize damage to your feather pen's nib isn't nearly as relevant in these modern days of the 10 cent plastic inkpen.

As for handwritten letters... they may still be used at times of occasion, but not so commonly for routine correspondence. Few of us are writing a letter every week, when several times as many would have been quite common 150 years ago.

edit: tpyo correction
May the cards fall in your favor.
unJon
unJon 
  • Threads: 14
Mission146odiousgambit
July 23rd, 2021 at 11:10:46 AM permalink
Quote: 4444

Best beard oil for growth and thickness in men Blesswell. A thick beard is a dream of every man. But only a few get to put their hands on the best beard oil that helps their beard grow as per their preference. for more details visit: /collections/products/products/beard-oil

Huge pet peeve.
The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong; but that is the way to bet.
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 80
Mission146
July 23rd, 2021 at 12:10:40 PM permalink

People wearing baseball caps with the bill in the back.

BTW, where can I buy one of those?

tuttigym

You should have just stopped at people wearing baseball caps. I can excuse it if you are actually playing baseball, otherwise you are a douche.
Order from chaos
Mission146
Mission146
  • Threads: 133
July 23rd, 2021 at 12:29:02 PM permalink

Quill pens are out because PETA would harass users. So you do not personally write short warm notes on special occasion cards and then sign them? Handwritten or printed notes and letters are not "out" or "old fashioned," they convey special sentiments -- mostly good, but sometimes bad.

Remember these are "Pet Peeves." There are NO right or wrong answers.

tuttigym

Not if anyone wants any hope of knowing what it says, I don't. I've only met one person who can reliably read my handwriting.

Usually, if I must write something on paper for someone else, I just print it in all caps. It's your only chance of deciphering my scrawl.

Except, it's not scrawl because I'm not hurrying. I'm doing it slowly, but it's still illegible. My hand refuses to listen to what my brain wants it to do.
https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/off-topic/gripes/11182-pet-peeves/120/#post815219
Mission146
Mission146
odiousgambitHunterhillJoeman
July 23rd, 2021 at 12:30:57 PM permalink
They/them. I'm not going to say in what context.

It is grammatically incorrect. You are not more than one person.
https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/off-topic/gripes/11182-pet-peeves/120/#post815219
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 80
Mission146
July 23rd, 2021 at 1:18:11 PM permalink
Quote: Mission146

Not if anyone wants any hope of knowing what it says, I don't. I've only met one person who can reliably read my handwriting.

Usually, if I must write something on paper for someone else, I just print it in all caps. It's your only chance of deciphering my scrawl.

Except, it's not scrawl because I'm not hurrying. I'm doing it slowly, but it's still illegible. My hand refuses to listen to what my brain wants it to do.

My father who has a masters degree in education never learned how to write in cursive. He prints everything.
Order from chaos
unJon
unJon 
  • Threads: 14
Mission146
July 23rd, 2021 at 2:04:04 PM permalink
Quote: DRich

My father who has a masters degree in education never learned how to write in cursive. He prints everything.

Only think I write in cursive is my signature.
The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong; but that is the way to bet.
100xOdds
100xOdds
  • Threads: 555
Mission146
July 23rd, 2021 at 3:18:30 PM permalink
Pet peeve: OnlyFans subscriptions where's there no nudes.
ie: angie varona and Bella Thorne
Craps is paradise (Pair of dice). Lets hear it for the SpeedCount Mathletes :)
jmills
jmills
  • Threads: 8
Mission146
July 23rd, 2021 at 7:30:28 PM permalink
Quote: Mission146

They/them. I'm not going to say in what context.

It is grammatically incorrect. You are not more than one person.

"They" has been used to refer to a person of unspecified gender for a long time, long before it was ever used as a self-identifier. Seems grammatically OK to me.
Mission146
Mission146
July 24th, 2021 at 3:46:22 AM permalink
Quote: jmills

"They" has been used to refer to a person of unspecified gender for a long time, long before it was ever used as a self-identifier. Seems grammatically OK to me.

Him/Her, "That person," "The individual," there are a lot of more grammatically correct solutions.

• Jump to: