18 votes (45%)
22 votes (55%)

40 members have voted

weaselman
weaselman
  • Threads: 20
August 15th, 2012 at 5:54:24 PM permalink
Quote: rdw4potus

No, if you choose to participate on this site you are agreeing to abide by the rules, which (at least currently) bar the disclosure of the contents of PMs.

Nope. I don't.
I am agreeing that, if I violate the rules, I may get suspended or banned, that's all.
"When two people always agree one of them is unnecessary"
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 108
August 15th, 2012 at 5:54:43 PM permalink
Quote: rainman

Private messaging does not mean you are entering into a confidentiality agreement.

Someone else already quoted you, but I'll repeat it. Here it does. And that's why I started this thread.

It just doesn't make sense to me. If you text me, is it guaranteed to be private? (Ask ex-congressman Weiner)
If you call me on the phone, am I somehow bound to never quote you?
If I chat with you in Vegas, is that conversation automatically off limits to the rst of the world?

There are a few protected conversations that are clear in our society-
Doctor- patient
Attorney- client
Wizard of Vegas pm sender- Wizard of Vegas pm receiver

I am trying to see if Mike will eliminate the third one.

I think if you do not want the world to know something, then YOU keep it to yourself.
Paigowdan
Paigowdan
  • Threads: 115
August 15th, 2012 at 5:54:52 PM permalink
"Private messages" is a description, a hopeful description, and not a guarantee.
Firstly, one should have a pulse on the trustworthiness of the recipient. Someone you've never met, and don't know except through a computer monitor shouldn't warrant a high confidence level, even though there is a bit of comraderie and bonding going on here at times, at least on occasion.

Secondly, watch your content. Why PM a member about an issue of a forum thread if you couldn't say it in the thread?

However, I feel that PM-ing people known to you about non-forum things should be treated like an external email or phone call. Arranging a dinner date, a prop bet, or discussing a trade show incident could be treated like an external text, where the PM was just most convenient.
Beware of all enterprises that require new clothes - Henry David Thoreau. Like Dealers' uniforms - Dan.
Mission146
Mission146
  • Threads: 124
August 15th, 2012 at 5:56:28 PM permalink
Quote: s2dbaker

The P in PM means Private.

Unless you have admin rights or a subpoena, the contents of those messages should be between the sender and the receiver and no one else.

I can't speak for here, but I Moderate one of the larger Philosophy Boards to be found on the net, and I can say that I have no ability to see the PM's of others there. I have had PM's forwarded to me for various reasons, but I could not see one without at least one party sending it to me. I could TECHNICALLY change someone's password, but even if I wanted to, (I don't) I would certainly be caught because I cannot view what their current (old) password was at any time.
Vultures can't be choosers.
Mission146
Mission146
  • Threads: 124
August 15th, 2012 at 5:59:47 PM permalink
Quote: SOOPOO

I think if you do not want the world to know something, then YOU keep it to yourself.

I counter with my example. Just because I want to meet you (or someone else) somewhere doesn't mean I want to meet everyone there!
Vultures can't be choosers.
rdw4potus
rdw4potus
  • Threads: 80
August 15th, 2012 at 6:00:34 PM permalink
Quote: weaselman

Nope. I don't.
I am agreeing that, if I violate the rules, I may get suspended or banned, that's all.

Yes, if you break the rule, there's a penalty. Compliance is your choice. Is that different than any other rule anywhere?
"So as the clock ticked and the day passed, opportunity met preparation, and luck happened." - Maurice Clarett
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
August 15th, 2012 at 6:03:29 PM permalink
Quote: Mission146

I counter with my example. Just because I want to meet you (or someone else) somewhere doesn't mean I want to meet everyone there!

And I would expect a pm to be treated the same as a phone call. If you and I talk on the phone, and choose to share that information, we may have an understanding between us that we will not share the information with others. We do not need any confidentiality rule for that to be so. A pm is nothing more than a convenient way for two people to communicate, especially if they choose NOT to give out other personal information on an internet forum. It should be treated no differently than any conversation between two people. Period.
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 425
August 15th, 2012 at 6:03:54 PM permalink

I am trying to see if Mike will eliminate the third one.

All that will do is kill the whole point of PM's. If
you take away the confidentiality, PM's can be used
against you in the future. I just sent somebody a
PM because I wanted it to be between him and I,
not him and 2500 forum members. Why would
you want that taken away?
"It's not enough to succeed, your friends must fail." Gore Vidal
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
August 15th, 2012 at 6:05:21 PM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

All that will do is kill the whole point of PM's. If
you take away the confidentiality, PM's can be used
against you in the future. I just sent somebody a
PM because I wanted it to be between him and I,
not him and 2500 forum members. Why would
you want that taken away?

Because of the multiple reasons I have listed in all of my posts on this thread.
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 425
August 15th, 2012 at 6:09:14 PM permalink

Because of the multiple reasons I have listed in all of my posts on this thread.

What your reasons say to me is, you want to
be able to reveal the content of PM's. Otherwise,
why would you care so much?
"It's not enough to succeed, your friends must fail." Gore Vidal

• Jump to: