deedubbs
deedubbs
  • Threads: 21
September 27th, 2011 at 4:59:58 AM permalink
I heard an interesting discussion about a blackjack free play recently. Let's say a player got a $50 free play, not match play, and is dealt 88 versus a 10. Assuming no surrender, these should be split, but if splitting requires the use of one's one money, is it still wise? The argument I've heard is that while it improves the player's odds, it just makes a very -EV situation less -EV. Similarly, if a player was dealt an 11 versus a 6, it would be wise to double with his own money because that's a +EV situation.

So, I guess my question is when using a free play (not match play), should normal strategy always be followed if it involves the use of player funds or is a different strategy better?
jc2286
jc2286
  • Threads: 2
deedubbs
deedubbs
  • Threads: 21
September 27th, 2011 at 9:24:32 PM permalink
actually, no. my friend asked me about it, but i didn't ask where he got it. obviously it was 2p2.
ChesterDog
ChesterDog
  • Threads: 8
September 29th, 2011 at 3:31:59 PM permalink
Quote: deedubbs

...So, I guess my question is when using a free play (not match play), should normal strategy always be followed if it involves the use of player funds or is a different strategy better?

Great question! The Wizard gives the strategy here under "Promotional Chips."
cardcounter
cardcounter
  • Threads: 10
October 19th, 2011 at 1:39:30 PM permalink

I heard an interesting discussion about a blackjack free play recently. Let's say a player got a $50 free play, not match play, and is dealt 88 versus a 10. Assuming no surrender, these should be split, but if splitting requires the use of one's one money, is it still wise? The argument I've heard is that while it improves the player's odds, it just makes a very -EV situation less -EV. Similarly, if a player was dealt an 11 versus a 6, it would be wise to double with his own money because that's a +EV situation.

So, I guess my question is when using a free play (not match play), should normal strategy always be followed if it involves the use of player funds or is a different strategy better?

If you have free play chips blackjack is probably not the best place to play the chips in the first place. If the chips are lost on a win go for the long shot bet in roulette the inside number and walk away with a big payout 2.6% of the time. Ask the pit boss if you are allowed to play the free play chips anywhere. However if you keep the chips on a win just treat them like real money and play blackjack normally as you would because everybody eventually loses a hand.
Ibeatyouraces
Ibeatyouraces
  • Threads: 68
October 23rd, 2011 at 2:05:22 PM permalink
deleted
DUHHIIIIIIIII HEARD THAT!
kmcd
kmcd
  • Threads: 9
October 23rd, 2011 at 3:01:54 PM permalink

Intuitively I would think that you should still defensively split the 8's (improves your odds on both the matched and unmatched hand). I'd also still double the 11v6. Because with a dealer 6 out you would never hit a second time, there are no options lost. However, doubling a 10v9 you might want to reconsider. We're normally willing to forego the option to hit again for the higher profit potential of the double, but what if you're dealt a 2? When you double on a match play you're effectively "doubling for less" since it only pays on the undoubled portion. Would doubling for less be profitable on a 10v9? I'm not sure, but that's the conceptual piece.
  • Jump to: