SONBP2
SONBP2
  • Threads: 88
September 12th, 2011 at 10:06:58 AM permalink
I was playing craps at Silverton on Sunday. First craps table I went to on Sunday my friend is given the dice and he rolls them around right in front of him before throwing the dice. He rolled them directly in front of him one time and the dealer immediately YELLED, "That is considered a roll! Do not roll the dice! Pick up and throw!" I immediately burst into laughter and the dealer YELLS, "I am serious!" I shout back, "I know that is why I am laughing." One throw later after throwing the dice according to the stickman, 7-out. Down $200 in less than 10 minutes.

We then went and played blackjack and won our money back.

We then went to the newly opened craps table. It's mine turn to roll the dice. I am standing to the left of the stickman. Now I was setting the dice with all the hardways showing, which took me less than 2 seconds to set. I don't contend that it helps. I then threw the dice to the end of the table. I go on a pretty nice run, but because of the stickman who was well over 6ft tall and me being only 5'3" I was never able to see my dice once they left my hand as the stickman would promptly lean forward. I was easily throwing the dice hard enough to hit the back wall at a minimum the dice would roll to the end of the table and hit the back wall. Out of nowhere the stickman looks over to the pit boss and states, "I have given him 3 short rolls this is his first warning." An argument ensues between me and the stickman about whether my dice are hitting the back wall. He states that both dice must hit the back wall and not roll and hit the wall. I play craps every single week and have never heard that, if they hit the back wall they hit wall. I am not trying to throw the dice short. The pit boss comes over to watch. Three throws later I throw the dice to the corner I see the one dice land the other die hits on top of the other die and bounces back down the table and the other die goes bouncing into the wall. Pit boss, "This is your last warning, if the dice don't hit the back wall you are off the table." I turn to my friends wife and jokingly say we are about to get thrown out, which prompts the pit boss to call over another person to watch. Two throws later I promptly 7-out.

1. My "hot-streak" was not that great. We made about $150, playing continual pass line/come bets with 4x or 5x odds.
2. In both cases at the craps table, if the stickman would have simply said we don't allow dropping the dice or you missed the back wall please make sure both dice hit the wall there would not have been any problem. However, both times the situation was in my opinion rudely handled.
3. I have lived in Las Vegas for 2 years and play craps on a consistent basis, weekly if not more, but have never played at the Silverton. I have played craps consistently for the last 7 years with never an incident over throwing the dice to the back wall.
4. Was I wrong in the situation?
Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
  • Threads: 236
September 12th, 2011 at 10:22:37 AM permalink
Quote: SONBP2

Was I wrong in the situation?

No. The crew was rude. Take your business elsewhere.
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leonardo da Vinci
SONBP2
SONBP2
September 12th, 2011 at 10:27:05 AM permalink
Yea I am not playing there again. Too many other good places for craps. Just happened to be in the area and go with some friends.
buzzpaff
buzzpaff
  • Threads: 112
September 12th, 2011 at 10:29:18 AM permalink
Get a comment card or go online and complain to corporate. I guarantee the people will think twice before being assholes again. Or will wind up working elsewhere.
jpprovance
jpprovance
  • Threads: 22
September 12th, 2011 at 10:41:57 AM permalink
the wynn gives me the same chit and i dont even set the dice
Johnzimbo
Johnzimbo
  • Threads: 4
September 12th, 2011 at 11:23:58 AM permalink
They sure seem to be assholes about something so minor. Go elsewhere.
Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
  • Threads: 236
September 12th, 2011 at 11:34:38 AM permalink
Quote: jpprovance

the wynn gives me the same chit and i dont even set the dice

I'm surprised to hear that. I have had a couple of good sessions there, taking a few seconds to set the dice before each throw, and didn't catch any heat from the crew.

Prior to the crew complaining, were you tipping?
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leonardo da Vinci
SONBP2
SONBP2
September 12th, 2011 at 11:54:19 AM permalink
I wasn't tipping, but at the point the incident began I really was losing and I was third person to throw, so I wasn't there long.
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
  • Threads: 265
September 12th, 2011 at 12:04:26 PM permalink
Yes, you were wrong.

First, let me state that I agree with that rude stickman: Pick 'em up and throw 'em. If you are playing craps on average once a week, you certainly should not have to hear that comment addressed to you.

Second, when he said something about I've given him three short rolls... that was the time to have spoken up about I've not seen any short rolls nor has he mentioned anything. The jerk leans forward to intentionally block my view.

Third, there is no rule about hitting the back wall directly and only then bouncing off the back wall onto the table. A great many shooters aim for a point just a bit in front of the wall, hit the table there and then the dice bound onto the back wall and bounce back onto the table. That sure seems random enough for every other craps crew in town and more to the point it sure seems random enough for all those zillions of other craps players who otherwise would be speaking up even if the crew were remaining silent.

So all it was is the crew was giving you a hard time and you didn't deserve it. I'd have raised a stink about it. After all, what are they going to do? Ban you from the Silverton? From the Silverton?
SONBP2
SONBP2
September 12th, 2011 at 12:39:58 PM permalink
Quote: FleaStiff

Yes, you were wrong.

First, let me state that I agree with that rude stickman: Pick 'em up and throw 'em. If you are playing craps on average once a week, you certainly should not have to hear that comment addressed to you.

Second, when he said something about I've given him three short rolls... that was the time to have spoken up about I've not seen any short rolls nor has he mentioned anything. The jerk leans forward to intentionally block my view.

Third, there is no rule about hitting the back wall directly and only then bouncing off the back wall onto the table. A great many shooters aim for a point just a bit in front of the wall, hit the table there and then the dice bound onto the back wall and bounce back onto the table. That sure seems random enough for every other craps crew in town and more to the point it sure seems random enough for all those zillions of other craps players who otherwise would be speaking up even if the crew were remaining silent.

So all it was is the crew was giving you a hard time and you didn't deserve it. I'd have raised a stink about it. After all, what are they going to do? Ban you from the Silverton? From the Silverton?

I should have said something then, the situation just caught me off guard from the point that I have seen people short roll and have on occasion been guilty of throwing short, but when my dice don't land until almost at the end of the table and they are spinning in the air the roll was going to be random. Sometimes when you are caught off guard you don't respond in the best way.
teddys
teddys
  • Threads: 150
September 12th, 2011 at 12:42:05 PM permalink
The craps crew at Silverton are bitter assholes. They have an axe to grind and don't know where they got it from. I didn't mention that in my review because I didn't want to make it sound too bad, but I will say here that they have given players crap every time I have played there. If they don't know you as a regular, they will treat you like garbage.

I won't play there anymore. Sorry to hear about your experience. I would definitely complain to the table games manager.
"Dice, verily, are armed with goads and driving-hooks, deceiving and tormenting, causing grievous woe." -Rig Veda 10.34.4
  • Jump to: