August 10th, 2011 at 2:25:05 PM permalink
Did anyone see the Dylan Ratigan rant? Comments
DorothyGale
DorothyGale
  • Threads: 40
August 10th, 2011 at 3:34:57 PM permalink
You mean this one:

Rant on youtube

I heard him interviewed today. When asked for details, he seemed to have no clue about why he said what he said ... the very definition of a rant ...

--Ms. D.
"Who would have thought a good little girl like you could destroy my beautiful wickedness!"
DorothyGale
DorothyGale
August 10th, 2011 at 3:41:24 PM permalink
By the way, I finally found my old post in this thread:

Click me

On page 5 of that thread, you will find this quote by me (dated July 16):
Quote:

I sold all my equities and treasuries. I'm holding onto my CD's, TIPS and muni's for now. The brinksmanship is just too frightening. If no agreement is made this week, by the week after markets will tumble.

No one responded to this ... I am truly sorry for those who have lost so much ... my bonds have skyrocketed ...

--Ms. D.
"Who would have thought a good little girl like you could destroy my beautiful wickedness!"
matilda
matilda
  • Threads: 3
August 10th, 2011 at 3:45:52 PM permalink
Quote: dihaig

Did anyone see the Dylan Ratigan rant? Comments

Howard Beale #2?
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
August 10th, 2011 at 6:26:32 PM permalink
He talked for 4min and said nothing. Why should he remember any of it?
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 212
August 10th, 2011 at 6:49:00 PM permalink
Quote: DorothyGale

Quote:

I sold all my equities and treasuries. I'm holding onto my CD's, TIPS and muni's for now. The brinksmanship is just too frightening. If no agreement is made this week, by the week after markets will tumble.

No one responded to this ... I am truly sorry for those who have lost so much ... my bonds have skyrocketed ...

--Ms. D.

Hmm, must be true.
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
  • Threads: 326
August 11th, 2011 at 2:41:27 AM permalink

I sold all my equities and treasuries. I'm holding onto my CD's, TIPS and muni's for now. The brinksmanship is just too frightening. If no agreement is made this week, by the week after markets will tumble. I am truly sorry for those who have lost so much ... my bonds have skyrocketed ...

--Ms. D.

I applaud your move, but honestly you should never sell *all* ... proper girlish investing believes in *some* diversification, no?

I sold $10s of thousands in stocks in April. Only us guys will buy back in now? Can some lady tell me where the bottom is? [g]
the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!”   She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder
DorothyGale
DorothyGale
August 11th, 2011 at 6:28:45 AM permalink
Quote: odiousgambit

I applaud your move, but honestly you should never sell *all* ... proper girlish investing believes in *some* diversification, no?

I sold $10s of thousands in stocks in April. Only us guys will buy back in now? Can some lady tell me where the bottom is? [g]

The bottom is near after the gang of 12 reach a decision to cut 1.2T and Europe fixes its debt issues for the near term with some sort of austerity measure ... and if these things don't happen, I'll be glad to stay out for a while and sit on the cash ...

By the way, I read some pretty bad advice yesterday ... given by a guy ... it said something like "because you've selected a certain percentage of your portfolio to be equities, and equities have declined, you need to sell your bonds and buy more equities to re-balance your portfolio" ... this is formulaic nonsense that has nothing to do with understanding the current irrationality and fear driven sell-off ... even sillier than that ... it implies that you should always buy when the market goes down and sell when the market goes up ...

--Ms. D.
iwannaiguana
iwannaiguana
  • Threads: 7
August 11th, 2011 at 7:27:18 AM permalink

Quote: odiousgambit

The bottom is near after the gang of 12 reach a decision to cut 1.2T and Europe fixes its debt issues for the near term with some sort of austerity measure ... and if these things don't happen, I'll be glad to stay out for a while and sit on the cash ...

By the way, I read some pretty bad advice yesterday ... given by a guy ... it said something like "because you've selected a certain percentage of your portfolio to be equities, and equities have declined, you need to sell your bonds and buy more equities to re-balance your portfolio" ... this is formulaic nonsense that has nothing to do with understanding the current irrationality and fear driven sell-off ... even sillier than that ... it implies that you should always buy when the market goes down and sell when the market goes up ...

--Ms. D.

I'd agree. The market follows trends and if it's going down it will usually go down for a while. Rather than speculate where the bottom is it's best just to wait until it starts recovering a bit and then jump on. I have always been taught and read in financial books to be constantly re-balancing your portfolio. While diversification is important, your never going to be successful if you're always selling winning investments and putting the money back into bad ones.
slyther
slyther
  • Threads: 13
August 11th, 2011 at 9:46:04 AM permalink
That rant was awesome. Didn't he have a similar rant on CNBC's "Fast Money" that got him fired a couple years back?
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
  • Threads: 326
August 11th, 2011 at 11:00:25 AM permalink

this is formulaic nonsense that has nothing to do with understanding the current irrationality and fear driven sell-off

--Ms. D.

Trying to keep your portfolio in balance is a very convenient approach. I have to agree with you, though, that at the moment it is a pretty silly thing to say.

One problem with me is I approach the 10 yr horizon, meaning visualizing retirement in 10 yrs, but I never reach it. If I could, it would mean paying less attention to stocks and more attention to this balancing thing. BTW to have the proportion of bonds/cash match your age in percentage is too conservative for me.
the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!”   She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder
  • Jump to: