rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 212
January 20th, 2024 at 6:08:49 AM permalink
I was looking to see if I could find the longest single correct phrase or even multiple sentences generated from this project but couldn't find it. Anyone know?

Quote:

The monkeys accomplished their goal of recreating all 38 works of Shakespeare. The last work, The Taming Of The Shrew, was completed at 2 AM PST on October 6, 2011. This is the first time every work of Shakespeare has actually been randomly reproduced. Furthermore, this is the largest work ever randomly reproduced. It is one small step for a monkey, one giant leap for virtual primates everywhere.

https://www.jesse-anderson.com/2011/10/a-few-million-monkeys-randomly-recreate-every-work-of-shakespeare/
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
unJon
unJon
  • Threads: 14
January 20th, 2024 at 6:31:14 AM permalink
Quote: rxwine

I was looking to see if I could find the longest single correct phrase or even multiple sentences generated from this project but couldn't find it. Anyone know?

Quote:

The monkeys accomplished their goal of recreating all 38 works of Shakespeare. The last work, The Taming Of The Shrew, was completed at 2 AM PST on October 6, 2011. This is the first time every work of Shakespeare has actually been randomly reproduced. Furthermore, this is the largest work ever randomly reproduced. It is one small step for a monkey, one giant leap for virtual primates everywhere.

https://www.jesse-anderson.com/2011/10/a-few-million-monkeys-randomly-recreate-every-work-of-shakespeare/
link to original post

It doesn’t look like it works that way. The “monkeys” wrote a small amount of letters that then get compared to see if that letter string is found in Shakespeare. If so it gets checked off.

Quote:

Less Technical Explanation
Instead of having real monkeys typing on keyboards, I have virtual, computerized monkeys that output random gibberish. This is supposed to mimic a monkey randomly mashing the keys on a keyboard. The computer program I wrote compares that monkey’s gibberish to every work of Shakespeare to see if it actually matches a small portion of what Shakespeare wrote. If it does match, the portion of gibberish that matched Shakespeare is marked with green in the images below to show it was found by a monkey.

The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong; but that is the way to bet.
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
  • Threads: 16
January 20th, 2024 at 6:35:53 AM permalink
As I understand, the trick isn't in getting the monkeys to write, but the editors to like it.
May the cards fall in your favor.
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 212
January 20th, 2024 at 8:04:12 AM permalink
I thought there might be the odds equivalent of getting close to the illusive 18yos finding the longest string.

otherwise known as the "Alan Mendelson Conjecture"
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
  • Jump to: