Thread Rating:

TigerWu
TigerWu
  • Threads: 22
April 29th, 2022 at 10:53:02 AM permalink
Quote: ChumpChange

It's really annoying when you can't quote news articles about their subject matter because they bot-stopped the same word in the comment sections.
link to original post

Comment sections shouldn't even be allowed on news articles, period.
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 215
April 29th, 2022 at 10:57:42 AM permalink
It's quite a business model. Alienate enough of your potential market until someone realizes the untapped potential and buys you out for an insane profit. Too bad it isn't scalable.
I'm betting the early investors are laughing themselves silly right now.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
ChumpChange
ChumpChange
  • Threads: 64
April 29th, 2022 at 11:02:33 AM permalink
Quote: TigerWu

Quote: ChumpChange

It's really annoying when you can't quote news articles about their subject matter because they bot-stopped the same word in the comment sections.
link to original post

Comment sections shouldn't even be allowed on news articles, period.
link to original post

I'm noticing a few news websites that have turned off comments recently. Of course now the news org won't know their audience anymore, but did they ever?
Twitter could just ban all news outlets from the site, all corporate outlets from the site, all business stores from the site, and individuals can go on tweeting about the birds in the sky.
gordonm888
Administrator
gordonm888
  • Threads: 54
April 29th, 2022 at 12:04:38 PM permalink
Can anyone describe what the spambot situation has been on Twitter?

Musk talks about authenticating humans - obviously as a shield against bots. What does "authenticating humans" mean?
So many better men, a few of them friends, are dead. And a thousand thousand slimy things live on, and so do I.
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 215
April 29th, 2022 at 1:05:35 PM permalink
Quote: gordonm888

Can anyone describe what the spambot situation has been on Twitter?

Musk talks about authenticating humans - obviously as a shield against bots. What does "authenticating humans" mean?
link to original post

On another site, they were saying you would need to be verified to post, with speculation that you'd have to register similar to ebay or Paypal. I don't use twitter but this is looking to be a big mess.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
TumblingBones
TumblingBones
  • Threads: 29
April 29th, 2022 at 2:06:58 PM permalink
Quote: TDVegas

Quote: TigerWu

Quote: billryan

I don't see why any employee would want to leave. Musk's track record with labor is pretty good and he has made many of his workers rich. I imagine his HR guys have boatloads of resumes from people eager to work with/for him.
link to original post

Really?? I mean, I know a lot of tech nerds love him, but I've been hearing for a while now how he treats a lot of his employees like ****.
link to original post

There always going to be disgruntled workers when you employ that many. I did admire his recent interview where he admitted his hiring principles have adapted. He wants people with a good heart over the jerk wad who might know more, be better educated and have better business instincts. He thinks the latter, while they can benefit a company, ultimately are a cancer that needs to be expunged.
link to original post

I've read that the Twitter compensation package is about 50% salary and 50% stock (either options or out-right grants). I have not seen any formal studies but if that's the case then based on what I hear from colleagues I would say that's at the high end. As comparison, a couple of family members have just taken jobs at Google and the stock grants are ~25% of the annual salary. If Musk takes the company private then he is either going to have to re-negotiate everyone's compensation or face a mass exodus.

Also, just to keep it all in perspective, while Musk and Twitter get a lot of press, as far as the tech community goes, Twitter is a very small and insignificant company. Total employment is ~ 7,500. Facebook/Meta is 75k, while Google and Apple are both ~ 150k employees. In fact in the last 3 months Google hired 7500 new staff and plan on adding another 12-15K by year's end. Any Twitter employee looking to jump ship wont have too much trouble. Finding replacements may not be as easy.
My goal of being well informed conflicts with my goal of remaining sane.
ams288
ams288
Thanks for this post from:
teliot
April 29th, 2022 at 2:11:47 PM permalink
Iím kind of skeptical that this sale will even close. This whole thing feels like one big publicity stunt by Musk. Just another billionaire who loves to see his name everywhere.
Ding Dong the Witch is Dead
ams288
ams288
May 13th, 2022 at 4:29:42 AM permalink
Quote: ams288

Iím kind of skeptical that this sale will even close. This whole thing feels like one big publicity stunt by Musk. Just another billionaire who loves to see his name everywhere.
link to original post

https://www.foxbusiness.com/markets/elon-musk-tweets-that-deal-for-twitter-is-on-hold.amp

Quote: @elonmusk

Twitter deal temporarily on hold pending details supporting calculation that spam/fake accounts do indeed represent less than 5% of users

Ding Dong the Witch is Dead
ChumpChange
ChumpChange
  • Threads: 64
May 13th, 2022 at 1:00:18 PM permalink
Twitter could double-up and sue Musk for $44 billion for walking away, and they should.
Gialmere
Gialmere
  • Threads: 42
May 13th, 2022 at 4:52:25 PM permalink
All I can say is Twitter better pray that this audit of how many bots and fake accounts make up its userbase is within a reasonable few percent of the 5% they've been declaring. If the truth turns out to be some godawful number like 20% or 30% or 40% then the latest Musk maneuvers will be the least of their problems. They'll drown in a deluge of lawsuits from shareholders and advertisers. Should such a nightmare scenario play out then Musk could probably buy what's left of the company for a case of beer and some postage stamps.
Have you tried 22 tonight? I said 22.

• Jump to: