Thread Rating:

lilredrooster
lilredrooster
  • Threads: 203
April 13th, 2022 at 2:20:17 PM permalink

I'm much more heavily into stocks than anything else which does not reflect common recommendations - but it reflects my personal risk tolerance

the way I look at it is that I accept the possibility that I could lose 60% of what I now have

everybody has a different personal risk tolerance and that is a main consideration in investing

on August 28, 2008 the S&P was at 1300.68_________it fell 48% to this on March 9, 2009__________676.53

"𝘣𝘦𝘭𝘪𝘦𝘷𝘦 𝘩𝘢𝘭𝘧 𝘰𝘧 𝘸𝘩𝘢𝘵 𝘺𝘰𝘶 𝘴𝘦𝘦 𝘢𝘯𝘥 𝘯𝘰𝘯𝘦 𝘰𝘧 𝘸𝘩𝘢𝘵 𝘺𝘰𝘶 𝘩𝘦𝘢𝘳"______Edgar Allan Poe
Ace2
Ace2
  • Threads: 28
April 13th, 2022 at 2:20:43 PM permalink
Quote: lilredrooster

Quote: Ace2

What's misleading?
link to original post

it seemed to me that you were implying that Berkshire and Buffett can be counted on to beat the S&P

but they have not done that since 2015

if you were not implying that, then I am mistaken, and I apologize

link to original post

Since 1965, Berkshire's cumulative return (3,641,613%) absolutely crushed S&P's return (30,209%) by a factor of over 100. You can't even compare the two. It's the long-term that matters...no one said BRK or anything else beats the S&P every year or every day
Last edited by: Ace2 on Apr 13, 2022
Itís all about making that GTA
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
April 13th, 2022 at 2:24:34 PM permalink

What's misleading?
link to original post

it seemed to me that you were implying that Berkshire and Buffett can be counted on to beat the S&P

link to original post

Since 1965, Berkshire's cumulative return (3,641,613%) absolutely crushed S&P's return (30,209%) by a factor of over 100. It's the long-term that matters...no one said it beats the S&P every year or every day
link to original post

yes, but in my view and in the view of many others the fact that he has gotten beaten by the S&P for the last 7 years is significant

and Buffett himself has acknowledged this - he's 91 now - conditions in the market have changed dramatically over the years and he likely no longer can be counted on to beat the S&P in the future

Ace2
Ace2
April 13th, 2022 at 2:35:42 PM permalink
Maybe. One of the reasons BRK was able to deliver such spectacular returns in the early years is because, as a much smaller entity, they were able to concentrate their investments in small-cap companies, which typically have lower valuations and obviously more room for growth

But I still don't see how a page that lists the returns for every year is "misleading". It doesn't take much analysis to see that BRK returns were higher in earlier years.
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 217
April 13th, 2022 at 2:38:48 PM permalink

What's misleading?
link to original post

link to original post

Since 1965, Berkshire's cumulative return (3,641,613%) absolutely crushed S&P's return (30,209%) by a factor of over 100. You can't even compare the two. It's the long-term that matters...no one said BRK or anything else beats the S&P every year or every day/hour
link to original post

Barry Bonds has the most home runs since 1900. I'm not sure I want him batting cleanup in 2022. Buffet is a personal hero but he is one voice, not the final word.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
Ace2
Ace2
April 13th, 2022 at 2:45:31 PM permalink
Quote: billryan

Barry Bonds has the most home runs since 1900. I'm not sure I want him batting cleanup in 2022. Buffet is a personal hero but he is one voice, not the final word.
link to original post

Fair enough, and Warren's over 90 now. But who do you listen to then? Warren's advice is straightforward, consistent, and he's usually right. Maturity (up to a point) and experience are good things to have as an investor
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
April 13th, 2022 at 2:51:16 PM permalink

But who do you listen to then?

link to original post

my point of view - I listen to nobody - I go with the indexes - primarily - with smaller amounts specualtion is very tempting - and I've done my share of it

billryan
billryan
April 13th, 2022 at 2:56:11 PM permalink
I take a bit of Buffet, a bit of Dave Ramsey( when I was younger and digging out of a hole), a bit of Rick Edelman, throw in some Christian mysticism, a bit of Dale Carnegie, some Vince McMahon, Elon Musk and Hugh Jackman, apply the lessons my family business has experienced and try to make informed decisions. I try to study a situation and ponder what Levi Strauss would do.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
mcallister3200
mcallister3200
  • Threads: 17
April 13th, 2022 at 5:45:28 PM permalink
Something tells me most members wouldnít consider my strategy of buying Ď51 Bowman Willie Mays while heís still alive and any Jackie Robinsonís with decent eye appeal is a good investment strategy.
billryan
billryan
April 13th, 2022 at 7:13:54 PM permalink
Captain America #1 sold for $3,000,000 this week, and even more amazing- a Fantastic Four #1 from 1961 broke the million-dollar barrier. What was surprising was it is nowhere close to being the highest-graded example.
Last year I kept hearing about new crypto millionaires driving the market but that doesn't explain the current price surges.

• Jump to: