Thread Rating:

EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
May 8th, 2021 at 11:31:21 PM permalink
Anybody do any of that DNA ancestry testing stuff. I'm thinking about it. I already know a ton about my family, on my dad's side anyway. Going back to before the Revolutionary War. Mostly German English-Irish Scottish ancestry. Two grandfathers and an uncle that I know of fought in the Civil War. My mother's side of the family I know almost nothing about except they are partly German.

What do these tests tell you. If you had it done did you think it was worth the cost. Were there any surprises. I was just reading that there are more people in the United States today of Irish descent then there are people living in Ireland. So that has to come back in a lot of people's DNA results. It sounds like something that you paid money for, wait for the results, and then say what did I need any of this information for. Boring.
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
Ace2
Ace2
  • Threads: 32
May 9th, 2021 at 5:23:10 AM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

Anybody do any of that DNA ancestry testing stuff. I'm thinking about it. I already know a ton about my family, on my dad's side anyway. Going back to before the Revolutionary War. Mostly German English-Irish Scottish ancestry. Two grandfathers and an uncle that I know of fought in the Civil War. My mother's side of the family I know almost nothing about except they are partly German.

What do these tests tell you. If you had it done did you think it was worth the cost. Were there any surprises. I was just reading that there are more people in the United States today of Irish descent then there are people living in Ireland. So that has to come back in a lot of people's DNA results. It sounds like something that you paid money for, wait for the results, and then say what did I need any of this information for. Boring.

Obviously the test tells you your general ancestry. It’s $60 and takes a second to spit in a vial. Don’t overthink this
It’s all about making that GTA
DogHand
DogHand
  • Threads: 2
May 9th, 2021 at 6:33:23 AM permalink

<snip>Two grandfathers and an uncle that I know of fought in the Civil War.<snip>

The U.S. Civil War??? How old are you? ;-)

My great-great grandfather and his brother both served in an Illinois regiment. Since my family likes to play the odds, I also had ancestors fighting for the Confederacy.

Dog Hand
Tanko
Tanko
  • Threads: 0
Thanked by
RogerKint
May 9th, 2021 at 6:42:24 AM permalink
My results came back 99% chimp, but I also share 60% of my DNA with bananas.
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 240
May 9th, 2021 at 8:13:54 AM permalink
My one grandfather fought the Germans in WW!, my other grandfather fought the British during the Irish rebellion at the same time.
Family dinners must have been fun. The one who fought for the British died soon after the war and my grandmother was left with six kids, so she married a widower who had eight kids, most of them grown. Her new husband, who died in the 1930s must have been pretty old as his only child they had together was almost thirty years younger than his oldest half-brother.
I've never done the ancestor thing. Don't need it as all of my family has lived in the same parish in Ireland since the days of Vikings.
There are tombstones on the family plot that have disintegrated into an unreadable muddle. While on a trip there in the 1980s, I stopped in the local church to get a copy of my grandmother's birth certificate to apply for an Irish passport. They have paper records dating back to Christ's birth, or so it seems. It was pretty amazing.
Some people claim that the Irish saved civilization as the monasteries was able to save all the books that were destroyed elsewhere in Europe during the Dark Ages. Legend has it Chris Columbus scoured Ireland for ancient maps before taking his journeys west.
About twenty years ago, my Uncle was diagnosed with a medical condition they nickname The Viking Claw, as it supposedly only affects people of Scandanavian ancestry so I assume someone someplace inter-acted with some raiders.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
EvenBob
EvenBob
May 9th, 2021 at 8:56:54 AM permalink
Quote: Ace2

Obviously the test tells you your general ancestry. It’s $60 and takes a second to spit in a vial. Don’t overthink this

So it's a waste of time as I thought.
billryan
billryan
May 9th, 2021 at 8:58:54 AM permalink

So it's a waste of time as I thought.

Turns out you were right after all. Again. It must get boring.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
FatGeezus
FatGeezus
  • Threads: 10
May 9th, 2021 at 9:06:45 AM permalink
Quote: billryan

The Viking Claw, as it supposedly only affects people of Scandanavian ancestry so I assume someone someplace inter-acted with some raiders.

About 20 years ago I was diagnosed with the Viking Claw. The pinky finger and ring finger on my right hand started to contract and it gave the appearance of a claw.

I went to the VA doctor and I thought I had some rare condition. The doctor then gave me a pamphlet that described DUPUYTREN'S CONTRACTURE. (Rare condition? LOL)

The procedure to cure this was usually surgery. They had just approved a new drug that was injected into the hand. Since it was a new procedure, they asked if I was willing to try it. I agreed and the procedure was successful.

I am neither Irish or Scandinavian. My ancestors came from eastern Europe.
mcallister3200
mcallister3200
  • Threads: 17
May 9th, 2021 at 9:07:42 AM permalink

The one and only EB. Takes a rare talent to ask that many questions without a single question mark.
billryan
billryan
May 9th, 2021 at 10:53:09 AM permalink
Quote: FatGeezus

About 20 years ago I was diagnosed with the Viking Claw. The pinky finger and ring finger on my right hand started to contract and it gave the appearance of a claw.

I went to the VA doctor and I thought I had some rare condition. The doctor then gave me a pamphlet that described DUPUYTREN'S CONTRACTURE. (Rare condition? LOL)

The procedure to cure this was usually surgery. They had just approved a new drug that was injected into the hand. Since it was a new procedure, they asked if I was willing to try it. I agreed and the procedure was successful.

I am neither Irish or Scandinavian. My ancestors came from eastern Europe.

Vikings settled from Scandinavia throughout Europe. Vikings ruled in Russia and Poland, as well as intermarrying with their Germainc cousins. One of my Jewish fraternity brothers was diagnosed with this years ago, before treatments were easily available and took an early retirement. A few years ago he got a DNA kit as a gift from his daughter and his predominantly eastern European ancestors had a splash of Norway in it.
I'm not sure it only affects people with that heritage, but it is most prominent in them.
onenickelmiracle
onenickelmiracle
  • Threads: 212
Thanked by
Mooseton
May 9th, 2021 at 11:01:02 AM permalink
I would not participate because you are paying for the results and the test, but the results are shared with other entities. I cannot state the exact details, but it seems wrong to me. The only way I would recommend such a thing is if you are unsure of your ancestry. Truthfully on the other hand, most people are under false impressions about their ancestry because you don't know how many false fathers there have been along the way. Someone I knew said both their grandmothers said their grandfathers weren't really their grandfathers. Our ancestors really must have liked sex enough to sneak their DNA to be fostered by someone else.
I am a robot.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
  • Threads: 232
May 9th, 2021 at 11:32:36 AM permalink

it's quite amusing when racists take the DNA test and find out they have African DNA
we all have African DNA for reasons known about by biologists and anthropologists and other scientists for many years
but DNA tests won't always show it because they are only able to find genetic mutations that are more recent than 100,000 years ago
and for many their African heritage goes back further and sometimes much further than 100,000 years

Please don't feed the trolls
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 209
May 9th, 2021 at 2:53:48 PM permalink
I filled out some info at ancestry dot com, (free) and other members there seem to like to research and add your relatives just for fun. I get new updates on and off of other people I’m related to. But I did little, but my initial family.

I have a 23 and me kit sitting on my desk. Need to do that.
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
CrystalMath
CrystalMath
  • Threads: 8
May 10th, 2021 at 9:04:33 PM permalink
I found out that I’m 0% Native American, which I believed all my life. My grandfather showed me a picture of his grandmother, and she looked like she could have been 100%, though he said she was half.

I also found out that my sister is my half sister. She met her dad after 45 years. Her DNA showed a match to his nephew and she was able to contact her newly found cousin through Ancestry.
I heart Crystal Math.
MrV
MrV
  • Threads: 364
May 10th, 2021 at 9:09:19 PM permalink
Seems to me that still waters should be left unmolested and allowed to run deep.
"What, me worry?"
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1491
May 11th, 2021 at 5:20:39 AM permalink
Quote: CrystalMath

I also found out that my sister is my half sister. She met her dad after 45 years.

I imagine there is a good story there, if it came by surprise. Care to share?
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:18 (NIV)
onenickelmiracle
onenickelmiracle
May 11th, 2021 at 5:47:02 AM permalink
Quote: Wizard

She must have been heart broken. It's very sad for everyone. Like I said before, it's common more than we think. A man can barely hide it but a woman can in most cases when races are similar to expectation.
I am a robot.
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 86
May 11th, 2021 at 6:43:43 AM permalink
My wife recently found an uncle that no one in the family knew about. It turns out her Grandparents gave their first baby up for adoption when they were teenagers.
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
billryan
billryan
May 11th, 2021 at 8:46:28 AM permalink
Quote: DRich

My wife recently found an uncle that no one in the family knew about. It turns out her Grandparents gave their first baby up for adoption when they were teenagers.

I can't imagine most of these circumstances turn out all that well.
EvenBob
EvenBob
May 11th, 2021 at 9:31:34 AM permalink
All the ads on TV for this ancestry crap have really happy endings. Why, you'll find out granddaddy what's a civil rights hero and great granddaddy was the only barber for 50 miles in any direction. For every great ending there's one that ain't so great.
CrystalMath
CrystalMath
  • Threads: 8
May 11th, 2021 at 9:41:10 AM permalink
Quote: Wizard

My sister had taken an Ancestry test, and when she got the results, she called me and said that she had an unexpected cousin on there. I assumed that he was my cousin also, but I had taken a 23 and me test and didn't recognize anyone with that last name. Maybe it was just denial, but it didn't quite hit us, and we were trying to come up with explanations. After sleeping on it, we both came to the same conclusion that we had different fathers. Then, we both downloaded our DNA and then uploaded the results to GEDMatch, which can use results from any service. The results came back, and we found out that we were not full siblings.

My sister contacted her cousin, and just said that she matched him and was really trying to wrap her mind around what was going on. They figured out that it was likely his uncle, who had no other kids. When she spoke with him, it all matched up - he was in flight school at the time in the same area as us and he had a 1 night stand with a woman he met at a bar. They followed up with a formal DNA test, which confirmed the relationship. My sister and her kids have been up here a handful of times to see him and to meet the rest of the family. The kids call him grandpa, and they seem genuinely happy to see him.

Quote: onenickelmiracle

She must have been heart broken. It's very sad for everyone. Like I said before, it's common more than we think. A man can barely hide it but a woman can in most cases when races are similar to expectation.

No love lost. There are two people in the family she really cares about - me and our (my) grandma. To me, it doesn't matter, she's still my sister and the rest of the family won't find out until grandma is dead. Neither one of us talk to our mother, which has nothing to do with this - she's just a terrible person who always causes trouble. My mother at some point has told all of us that she wouldn't be surprised if we weren't our dad's. I thought she was just being spiteful, but it wouldn't hurt my feelings if it were true. My sister hasn't talked to my dad in years, again, nothing to do with this, but nothing I want to discuss. Turns out, she has found an immeasurably better father out of the deal.
I heart Crystal Math.
onenickelmiracle
onenickelmiracle
Thanked by
CrystalMath
May 11th, 2021 at 9:54:37 AM permalink
That's a lot to go through Crystalmath. I'm glad you and her are taking it well.
I am a robot.
EvenBob
EvenBob
May 11th, 2021 at 10:20:11 AM permalink
Quote: onenickelmiracle

That's a lot to go through Crystalmath. I'm glad you and her are taking it well.

My father and his family are from West Virginia. Why in God's name would I want to know the secrets of THAT family. I went through that area 10 years ago and it looked like it was still 1979. Rusty gas pumps that did not take credit cards, girls in cut-off jeans and boys with mullet haircuts. Potholes so big it would swallow your entire vehicle. 75% of the businesses on Main Street we're boarded up. This is the area my dad's family is from. He has four brothers and soon as they were old enough they all joined the Navy and never went back to West Virginia except to visit watch later.
  • Jump to: