Thread Rating:

Aussie
Aussie
  • Threads: 12
April 18th, 2021 at 5:15:52 PM permalink
Quote: Wizard

Having been to Australia twice, I agree. My go-to beer there is Victoria Bitter. I think the locals just call it VB.

SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 112
April 19th, 2021 at 4:00:42 AM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

It tastes worse than it sounds. Even a tiny amount will ruin whatever you put it on.

If you didn't start eating it as a little kid, you're going to hate it. Like English blood sausage, if you were raised eating it you think it's great. If you eat it for the first time as an adult, you want to head for the restroom and barf. In the Far East it's durian, a kind of fruit. People who live there love it, foreigners hate it because it has an overwhelming ammonia odor that you can smell a block away after it's cut open.

I tried durian in Thailand. Hard for me to see how it is considered ‘food’! One hotel we stayed at had a ‘No durian’ sign, kind of like a ‘no smoking’ sign here....
Wellbush
Wellbush
  • Threads: 11
April 19th, 2021 at 7:29:37 AM permalink
Quote: gamerfreak

I think vegemite is a spread? Always wanted to try it.

If you knew how it tastes, you probably wouldn't want it. Promite's similar but much nicer. Stick to Promite.
All persons reading my posts gamble at their own risk, as I do. I don't ordinarily dispute math. I may dispute math I don't understand, or if I think it's faulty. I am not a conspiracy theorist.
Wellbush
Wellbush
April 19th, 2021 at 7:56:26 AM permalink

It tastes worse than it sounds. Even a tiny amount will ruin whatever you put it on.

I do have a question for the members down under -- What's the difference between Vegemite and Marmite? I think they're the same, but it's called Marmite in New Zealand.

I can't remember what Marmite tastes like, but Promite is something I like, and I think it's far better than Vegemite. Vegemite does well in the waste bin. Marmite would be a different product, but how different, I don't know.

BTW, Once Dear tells me I use a VPN that puts me squarely in Australia. Now I thought VPNs were meant to disguise one's location. So much for VPNs. And, I've never disguised the fact that I'm Australian, in my posts. OD also says that my posts are being watched closely. He/she can be my guest. OD seems to think that me using a VPN is somewhat immoral, and ODs ability to scan is quite questionable because OD seems to miss quite a lot of the information within my posts.

Anyway, what seems strange is why OD doesn't just PM me and ask for my phone number? That would clearly show what country I'm from, and help allay any fears I'm a sock, coz he/she would be speaking to someone (me) in person. OD would need to let me know approx. when he/she's going to call, coz I get spam calls from the US that I don't answer.

I could go on and on, but as this is just a BTW kind of post, I'll refrain.
All persons reading my posts gamble at their own risk, as I do. I don't ordinarily dispute math. I may dispute math I don't understand, or if I think it's faulty. I am not a conspiracy theorist.
Wellbush
Wellbush
April 19th, 2021 at 8:06:51 AM permalink
Quote: billryan

True, but would a sock puppet know that?

Yeh, you're right. I'm a sock puppet. Now that that's out the way, I'm a very clever sock puppet and know all about Australia.

What'ya wanna know? Beer...depends what state in Australia you're from, because people are rather parochial and tend to like the beers that are served up in the state they're from. Fosters, New South Wales, I believe. So if you're from there, you'll generally back Fosters.

Kangaroo? Ahhh, good for the dog, or disguised in a slow cooked stew. Vegemite, see the above posts. Anything else?
Last edited by: Wellbush on Apr 19, 2021
Wellbush
Wellbush
April 19th, 2021 at 8:15:56 AM permalink

Having been to Australia twice, I agree. My go-to beer there is Victoria Bitter. I think the locals just call it VB.

Victorians will back it, but other states may suggest you try their favourite beer. Get my drift? It depends what state in Australia you're from, or travelling in, that will recommend the beer to drink.
Wellbush
Wellbush
April 19th, 2021 at 8:21:00 AM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

If you didn't start eating it as a little kid, you're going to hate it. Like English blood sausage, if you were raised eating it you think it's great. If you eat it for the first time as an adult, you want to head for the restroom and barf. In the Far East it's durian, a kind of fruit. People who live there love it, foreigners hate it because it has an overwhelming ammonia odor that you can smell a block away after it's cut open.

Yes, true. I can understand those from countries other than Australia, not liking Vegemite. I was brought up here and never really liked it, but I can certainly stomach it. One way it can be enjoyed is on a soft fresh bread bun with margarine or butter. But that's about it.
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 434
April 19th, 2021 at 4:36:40 PM permalink
Quote: SOOPOO

I tried durian in Thailand. Hard for me to see how it is considered ‘food’! One hotel we stayed at had a ‘No durian’ sign, kind of like a ‘no smoking’ sign here....

Durian has such a bad ammonia smell it has been known to drive customers away. It's so bad that some places have ordinances against eating Dorian outdoors.
"It's not enough to succeed, your friends must fail." Gore Vidal
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1399
April 19th, 2021 at 5:56:28 PM permalink
Quote: Wellbush

Victorians will back it, but other states may suggest you try their favourite beer. Get my drift? It depends what state in Australia you're from, or travelling in, that will recommend the beer to drink.

I've only been in New South Wales and saw VB everywhere. I can't think of any other brand to have nearly it's level of dominance. Of course, that doesn't mean it's good, but I still liked it.
It's not whether you win or lose; it's whether or not you had a good bet.
MrV
MrV
  • Threads: 329
April 19th, 2021 at 6:01:55 PM permalink
More Vicoria Bitter is sold in Australia, by volume, than any other.

The one brand we know of here in the USA, Fosters, is not particularly popular down under.
"What, me worry?"

• Jump to: