mcallister3200
mcallister3200
  • Threads: 17
November 28th, 2020 at 5:48:03 AM permalink
Apparently was injured in a house fire while visiting family in Connecticut. 46 years old. Was responsible for initiating the revitalization of the Fremont East area of downtown.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 121
November 28th, 2020 at 6:59:25 AM permalink
Quote: mcallister3200

Apparently was injured in a house fire while visiting family in Connecticut. 46 years old. Was responsible for initiating the revitalization of the Fremont East area of downtown.

Sounds fishy. Cause of death not released. I'm sure there is more to the story.....
mcallister3200
mcallister3200
Thanked by
unJononenickelmiracle
November 28th, 2020 at 7:13:02 AM permalink
Quote: SOOPOO

Yeah, well, that’s just like, your opinion man.
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 240
November 28th, 2020 at 7:24:41 AM permalink
When I lived in Henderson, several of my neighbors worked for Zappos. While they didn't have much interaction with him, they praised the culture he instituted in Zappos, and he certainly did a lot to clean up Fremont East and the surrounding area.
Rest in Peace. The man was a visionary.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
TDVegas
TDVegas
  • Threads: 3
November 28th, 2020 at 7:46:22 AM permalink
House fire in Connecticut. Apparently this home was bought for his girlfriend and he was visiting. From the looks of it, multiple exits all over. He must have breathed in smoke and got overcome. Tragic. Happened over a week ago.
https://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/500-Pequot-Ave_New-London_CT_06320_M43599-51915#photo0
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 209
November 28th, 2020 at 9:04:32 AM permalink

Sounds fishy. Cause of death not released. I'm sure there is more to the story.....

Well, fires are sometimes used to cover up evidence. (or try to) Not as guaranteed as some might imagine.
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
November 28th, 2020 at 11:46:34 AM permalink

Yeah, well, that’s just like, your opinion man.

. Obviously. What I post tends to be my opinion. My point is that if someone dies in a fire or as a result of one the cause of death is not usually a mystery.

I know virtually nothing about the man, other than he was a successful CEO (Zappos) and was involved in revitalizing downtown Vegas. But when young ultra wealthy men die.... there is often a surprise back story.
mcallister3200
mcallister3200
November 28th, 2020 at 12:13:29 PM permalink

. Obviously. What I post tends to be my opinion. My point is that if someone dies in a fire or as a result of one the cause of death is not usually a mystery.

I know virtually nothing about the man, other than he was a successful CEO (Zappos) and was involved in revitalizing downtown Vegas. But when young ultra wealthy men die.... there is often a surprise back story.

I get it. I also accidentally edited out the "sounds fishy" part when I quoted you. Here's where my response came from.
NSFW two F words.

kewlj
kewlj
  • Threads: 216
November 28th, 2020 at 12:41:57 PM permalink
I don't want to get into any suspicious deaths conspiracies. When I read the new of Mr. Hsieh's passing this morning, my first thought was that's a shame. He seemed like a good guy. I have never read a negative word about him. He gave back to the community, privately helped a lot of people. You can't drive more than a mile on any highway running through Vegas without seeing a sign that Zappo's has adopted that highway for litter control.

But as I have thought about and read a little more, this is going to be a big loss and really hurt Las Vegas as far as the Downtown Revitalization Project. Progress has been slow, but you did see it happening. I mean he is the sole source of funding for that project. Does it just dry up now?
rxwine
rxwine
November 28th, 2020 at 1:19:53 PM permalink
Quote: kewlj

. I mean he is the sole source of funding for that project. Does it just dry up now?

I'd be surprised if he had any will at all.
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
billryan
billryan
November 28th, 2020 at 1:20:07 PM permalink

I don't want to get into any suspicious deaths conspiracies. When I read the new of Mr. Hsieh's passing this morning, my first thought was that's a shame. He seemed like a good guy. I have never read a negative word about him. He gave back to the community, privately helped a lot of people. You can't drive more than a mile on any highway running through Vegas without seeing a sign that Zappo's has adopted that highway for litter control.

But as I have thought about and read a little more, this is going to be a big loss and really hurt Las Vegas as far as the Downtown Revitalization Project. Progress has been slow, but you did see it happening. I mean he is the sole source of funding for that project. Does it just dry up now?

Most times, a project like this is done by a foundation that outlives the person who started it. Hopefully, that is the case here.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
mcallister3200
mcallister3200
November 28th, 2020 at 1:40:48 PM permalink
He retired from Zappos, hasn’t been leading the downtown project for years, and moved to utah a year or so ago. So funding aside, think he was slowly removing himself from active participation, so I would think everything should be on good ground and if it falters would be more a result of another recession happening than him being gone. Like Bill said hopefully everything in that regard is good.
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 86
November 29th, 2020 at 2:10:04 AM permalink

If I am not mistaken I believe he had pretty much pulled out of that project more than a year ago.
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
TDVegas
TDVegas
November 29th, 2020 at 9:09:59 AM permalink
He bought $56 million dollars worth of residential properties in Utah. Why....I do not know. It was a bit of a strange change for him. I guess he could have been buying them for family, but it was several homes.
https://www.curbed.com/2020/10/tony-hsieh-park-city-utah-real-estate.html

I suspect, with his detachment from DTP and Zappos in the past year or so....that some other things may have been going on, professionally and personally.

There have been reports of...well, without fanning flames, some personal issues in the past.

The fact that this tragedy occurred on November 18...and not one word was leaked out until he passed was a bit strange as well.

Terrible tragedy.
Last edited by: TDVegas on Nov 29, 2020
smoothgrh
smoothgrh
November 29th, 2020 at 10:38:47 AM permalink
As a budding entrepreneur, Mrs smooth was quite saddened by the news.

For me, he was one of those personalities that people associate with a company — like Dave Thomas of Wendy's — and so he was another reason I was happy about Las Vegas, especially downtown. He brought optimism.
billryan
billryan
November 29th, 2020 at 10:48:49 AM permalink
Mr. Hsieh was very big on happiness. He realized happy employees were the key to success. He had a standing offer that if you were not happy working with him, you could quit and get a $2,000 bonus. The more I read or heard about him, the more I admired him. We had a very similar philosophy, only he had a whole bunch of extra zeroes on his. I wish I could have met him, I'd love to know where he learned the secrets of happiness. It certainly wasn't at Harvard.
mcallister3200
mcallister3200
November 29th, 2020 at 11:30:34 AM permalink
So reading a summary of his book “delivering happiness” I found that the title of this thread is actually inaccurate, he did not found Zappos. He became an advisor and early investor about 2 months after it was founded. This was after selling his first company to Microsoft for 265 million at 24.
billryan
billryan
November 29th, 2020 at 12:59:16 PM permalink

So reading a summary of his book “delivering happiness” I found that the title of this thread is actually inaccurate, he did not found Zappos. He became an advisor and early investor about 2 months after it was founded. This was after selling his first company to Microsoft for 265 million at 24.

I think it's similar to the way Elon Musk is credited as being one of the founders of Tesla, even though he wasn't there at the very beginning. Hsieh invested in a startup that was called Shoes.com or something like that. He was instrumental in changing the name to Zappos and installed himself and his friend from his pizza days into management. So he was there from the beginning with Zappos although there was an earlier incarnation of the business. He had started his first company six months after graduation by cold calling companies. Two years later he sold it for $265 million.
While he retired from Zappos last year, I'm sure he would have accomplished much more in the years to come.
His book is great, but if you want to know more about Zappos read The Kingdom of Happiness.
TDVegas
TDVegas
November 29th, 2020 at 4:38:50 PM permalink
I get the feeling there is more to this story....
“barricaded” is not a term generally used to describe a situation like this.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/before-tony-hsiehs-death-firefighters-rushed-to-burning-home-with-trapped-man-11606691000
billryan
billryan
November 29th, 2020 at 5:56:09 PM permalink
Many McMansions are built with Safe Rooms. It might be something like that.
billryan
billryan
November 29th, 2020 at 5:58:48 PM permalink
Quote: rxwine

I'd be surprised if he had any will at all.

Why?
mcallister3200
mcallister3200
November 29th, 2020 at 6:05:39 PM permalink
9 days after a fire. Sounds like a rather painful agonizing way to go.
DRich
DRich
November 29th, 2020 at 6:18:45 PM permalink
I know very little about the man but my assumption was drugs or alcohol were involved. Why else wouldn't he escaped from the fire?
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
November 29th, 2020 at 6:42:46 PM permalink

9 days after a fire. Sounds like a rather painful agonizing way to go.

I worked on burn patients for the last 15 years of my career. The greatest likelihood is that he was kept in what is sometimes referred to as a medically induced coma for those 9 days.

I still think there is more to it than just a random guy caught in a fire. Just an educated guess.
rxwine
rxwine
November 29th, 2020 at 8:09:05 PM permalink
Quote: billryan

Why?

Because he was still young enough to think he wasn't about to die anytime soon. But the fact that he was wealthy does make it more likely he would have one.

At least according to gallop polls.

Quote:

Americans' likelihood of having a will depends largely on their age and socioeconomic status. Sixty-eight percent of those aged 65 and older have a will, compared with just 14% of those younger than age 30. Of Americans whose annual household income is $75,000 or greater, 55% have a will, compared with 31% of those with incomes of less than $30,000. And while 61% of those with a postgraduate education have a will, only 32% with a high school education or less do.

Also, if he had a wife and children, I think it would be more likely, but he had neither.
mcallister3200
mcallister3200
November 30th, 2020 at 3:47:36 PM permalink
A few updates in Hartford Courant today. Cause of fire still under determination. Cause of death complications from smoke inhalation. Ruled accidental. People in home told firefighters he was locked in a storage area with smoke coming out and they couldn’t get him out. Firefighters forced way in and found him unresponsive. Still sounds odd, but sounds less likely to be a victim of foul play now.
billryan
billryan
November 30th, 2020 at 5:30:22 PM permalink
Back east, oftentimes people buy houses, renovate them and never update the plans with the city/village. Building walls where they shouldn't, converting living rooms into two bedrooms and such., and blocking egress's in the case of a fire. It happens more in poorer neighborhoods but I've seen people convert garages and basements into mancaves and such that lacked any kind of exits. In the 1960s, wood paneling was really popular for finishing basements and in a fire the fumes will knock you out in a heartbeat.
What a tragedy, however it happened. This world could use a few more Tony Hsiehs.
SiegfriedRoy
SiegfriedRoy
  • Threads: 20
November 30th, 2020 at 8:27:22 PM permalink

Back east, oftentimes people buy houses, renovate them and never update the plans with the city/village. Building walls where they shouldn't, converting living rooms into two bedrooms and such., and blocking egress's in the case of a fire. It happens more in poorer neighborhoods but I've seen people convert garages and basements into mancaves and such that lacked any kind of exits. In the 1960s, wood paneling was really popular for finishing basements and in a fire the fumes will knock you out in a heartbeat.
What a tragedy, however it happened. This world could use a few more Tony Hsiehs.

I agree with your comments. I cannot say exactly what happened to Tony, but I knew a coworker from EC who was drunk and was taking a nap in his basement man cave while family was out. The house still had old electrical wiring that caused a fire from the 1st floor and ended up spreading to the basement. He had no egress due to him converting the basement on his own without thinking. He was trapped, but luckily his neighbor called 911 and he was rescued. He inhaled a lot of smoke and had long-term negative impact to his lungs. He used to have therapeutics and humidifiers in his office all the time to improve his conditions. I’m not saying it happened to Tony, but when I read basement and fire, it reminded me of my old coworker.
billryan
billryan
November 30th, 2020 at 9:10:15 PM permalink
A basement without two exits is classified as a storage area in NY. You are supposed to get permits to finish basements even if you just make it a family room. Lots of people don't get permits and the fire department doesn't know about them. A minute or two of confusion can lead to disaster.
terapined
terapined
  • Threads: 89
December 7th, 2020 at 10:36:36 AM permalink
I've been reading about Tony Hsieh
Too many of the wealthy have succumbed to drugs
What I find shocking are the nitrous stories
Apparently Tony loved nitrous
Thats scary because somebody with his money, you can buy huge tanks of it
I used to see those tanks after concerts, run by the nitrous mafia but thats another story
I've done quite a lot of Nitrous in my life . Essentially its N02. One nitrogen molecule attached to 2 oxygen molecules
Its quite a buzz
but
I never got addicted to it. Most dont
So sad and kind of weird with nitrous being one of the drugs of choice for Tony.
I disagree with ALL your gambling stories! That's allowed here, to disagree! The Mission data proves it ! You want me to make a different assessment based on that data? It's just a coincidence that you always win? At least Know Thyself and don’t try to claim otherwise!!!
ChesterDog
ChesterDog
  • Threads: 8
December 7th, 2020 at 10:51:08 AM permalink
Quote: terapined

...nitrous...

Public service announcement: the formula for "nitrous oxide" is N2O. Accept no substitute!

I remember a news story years ago about the theft of a tank of another of the nitrogen oxides. The authorities were warning that the tank did not contain nitrous oxide but another compound that was deadly if inhaled.
jmills
jmills
  • Threads: 8
December 7th, 2020 at 10:51:34 AM permalink
Quote: terapined

I've been reading about Tony Hsieh
Too many of the wealthy have succumbed to drugs
What I find shocking are the nitrous stories
Apparently Tony loved nitrous
Thats scary because somebody with his money, you can buy huge tanks of it
I used to see those tanks after concerts, run by the nitrous mafia but thats another story
I've done quite a lot of Nitrous in my life . Essentially its N02. One nitrogen molecule attached to 2 oxygen molecules
Its quite a buzz
but
I never got addicted to it. Most dont
So sad and kind of weird with nitrous being one of the drugs of choice for Tony.

It's actually N2O. I was in college in the 90s and it was very popular back then. Someone would show up at a party with a tank and charge 5 dollars a balloon. You could tell which party by the balloons on the sidewalk outside. Two friends of mine used to make a lot of money doing that. They would get the tank refilled at a warehouse (possible a food supply place, I don't remember).
billryan
billryan
December 7th, 2020 at 10:59:47 AM permalink
It kind of makes sense. Mr. Hsieh was a big believer in happiness and whippets will make you very happy. For about ten seconds.
I have no idea if they are legal, or if this would cause you to fail a drug test, but it was pretty common knowledge that he indulged in them.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
December 7th, 2020 at 11:16:36 AM permalink

It kind of makes sense. Mr. Hsieh was a big believer in happiness and whippets will make you very happy. For about ten seconds.
I have no idea if they are legal, or if this would cause you to fail a drug test, but it was pretty common knowledge that he indulged in them.

Nitrous oxide expert here. You would not fail a drug test unless it was administered seconds or at most minutes after you used it. It is used as an anesthetic, but is a very weak one. The 'gases' we use in anesthesia require a 1 or 2% concentration to put you to sleep for a full surgical operation. If you were only to use Nitrous Oxide you would need a concentration which exceeds 100%. remember, you need 20% oxygen, so max Nitrous Oxide possible concentration is 80%. In practice, we rarely exceed 70%. So Nitrous is never a sole anesthetic, but if combined with narcotics (fentanyl) or benzodiazepines (midazolam) it can be effective.

When I give N2O it is always mixed with supplemental oxygen. I have no idea if recreational users do so. If not, hypoxia is a real risk.

It has fallen out of favor in modern practice, as it does (theoretically) increase the likelihood of post op nausea. Apparently it is super cheap, so is still used in poorer countries a lot.
kewlj
kewlj
December 7th, 2020 at 11:34:45 AM permalink

I have no idea if they are legal,

Whippets are definitely legal, sold in stores. The question is why? Unlike other inhalants, like glue, bath salts, that have a practical purpose, I don't see any practical purpose for whippets? Can anyone enlighten me?
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
December 7th, 2020 at 11:38:47 AM permalink

Whippets are definitely legal, sold in stores. The question is why? Unlike other inhalants, like glue, bath salts, that have a practical purpose, I don't see any practical purpose for whippets? Can anyone enlighten me?

Aren't they used in baking cakes or something like that?
terapined
terapined
December 7th, 2020 at 11:51:13 AM permalink

Used to create whipped cream
You can go the the grocery store, buy canned whipped cream. Normally you shake it. turn upside down and out comes whipped cream
Or
You can not shake it. Keep it upright. Release the gas, suck on the tube and get a nitrous hit.
Professional whipped cream devices use the small nitrous canisters called whippets to create whipped cream

Had a crazy friend. Bought a case of canned whipped cream. Sucked the gas out of all of them. Tried to return the case to the store. He was crazy and insistent they take it back and give him his money. Store called the cops
I disagree with ALL your gambling stories! That's allowed here, to disagree! The Mission data proves it ! You want me to make a different assessment based on that data? It's just a coincidence that you always win? At least Know Thyself and don’t try to claim otherwise!!!
gamerfreak
gamerfreak
  • Threads: 57
December 7th, 2020 at 12:36:39 PM permalink

The legitimate use is whipped cream.

While they are legal for culinary uses, it is illegal to use it to get high, just like paint, glue, solvents, etc.

If you look at the warning label on any of these products commonly used to get high, it will say something like “it’s a violation of federal law to use this product in any way other than it’s intended use”
jjjoooggg
jjjoooggg
  • Threads: 34
December 7th, 2020 at 2:26:25 PM permalink
Someone recently told me about Nitrous.
Born in Texas and lived in Texas my whole life.
terapined
terapined
December 7th, 2020 at 2:37:44 PM permalink
Quote: jjjoooggg

Someone recently told me about Nitrous.

It was everywhere back in the day at Grateful Dead concerts
Its everywhere at Phish concerts
My last nitrous hit was Dec 31 outside the Chase Center in San Francisco at a Dead and Company concert
I really like nitrous
But not as much as Tony apparently.
billryan
billryan
December 7th, 2020 at 3:48:06 PM permalink
It's probably thirty five years since my last whippet. What I didn't like about them is the first hit is incredible but from that point on you are just chasing that high. Your first hit is always the best.
calwatch
calwatch
  • Threads: 13
December 7th, 2020 at 4:13:15 PM permalink
Here's an article. Basically he was surrounded by yes men that he had paid off. His real friends got busy and when they tried to intervene, it was too late. https://www.forbes.com/sites/angelauyeung/2020/12/04/tony-hsiehs-american-tragedy-the-self-destructive-last-months-of-the-zappos-visionary/?sh=35121434f22f
mcallister3200
mcallister3200
February 18th, 2021 at 7:48:22 PM permalink
Family has filed notices planning to sell 90+ Las Vegas properties.
billryan
billryan
February 18th, 2021 at 8:37:11 PM permalink

Family has filed notices planning to sell 90+ Las Vegas properties.

Is there a list of the properties?
mcallister3200
mcallister3200
February 18th, 2021 at 9:22:12 PM permalink

Is there a list of the properties?

Not that I know of. All I did was read a quick article online. Perhaps in court filings, they filed the notices with Clark county. Of note terms to highest and best bidder, all cash sales, family may or may not retain some/all of properties they’re just making them available at this time.
kewlj
kewlj
February 18th, 2021 at 9:48:56 PM permalink
Didn't he buy all those dinky motels on Fremont from just south of the old Western casino down to Charleston? The ones that have been boarded up and fenced of for several years now since he bought them.
billryan
billryan
February 19th, 2021 at 8:32:54 AM permalink
He ought those, ut he also bought a number of single family houses, many of which had been converted to law offices and the like by their former owners Around 2003, i looked at such a house and they were under 100K. >at I looked they were pushing $400K.
If they want to liquidate, some bargains might be found.
  • Jump to: