redietz
redietz
  • Threads: 49
September 6th, 2020 at 7:21:35 PM permalink
So if I decide I can heal people by the laying on of hands, and I post that I healed 34 people with various ailments, is it my understanding that people on this forum can respectfully question how I did it, but they can't question my veracity?

It would be, after all, within the realm of probability that everyone I touched did become better. Those spontaneous healings to happen...on occasion.

Inquiring minds want to know.
"You can't breathe dead hippo waking, sleeping, and eating, and at the same time keep your precarious grip on existence."
DeMango
DeMango
  • Threads: 36
September 6th, 2020 at 7:40:40 PM permalink
You do not heal anyone by laying on of hands. Brush up on theology.
When a rock is thrown into a pack of dogs, the one that yells the loudest is the one who got hit.
ChumpChange
ChumpChange
  • Threads: 111
September 6th, 2020 at 7:51:12 PM permalink
What kind of George Carlin nonsense is this at the hospital waiting room?
darkoz
darkoz
  • Threads: 297
Thanked by
DeMango
September 6th, 2020 at 7:57:30 PM permalink
I think I understand the OP.

When I first came to WOV claims that defied the mathematics of gambling were openly attacked and ridiculed.

If someone claimed they always won using a martingale, their claims would be called out as lies.

With the forum rules as they are such conduct, calling someone's claims to be a lie (ipso facto they are a liar) leads to suspension.

So what is one to do except say, well, it might happen against probability and I probably will see occasionally 50 reds in roulette or throwing a yo-yo 18 times without the string getting tangled
For Whom the bus tolls; The bus tolls for thee
DeMango
DeMango
  • Threads: 36
September 6th, 2020 at 9:18:17 PM permalink
Throwing a yo yo. Classic!
When a rock is thrown into a pack of dogs, the one that yells the loudest is the one who got hit.
OnceDear
OnceDear
  • Threads: 63
September 7th, 2020 at 1:54:49 AM permalink
Quote: redietz

So if I decide I can heal people by the laying on of hands, and I post that I healed 34 people with various ailments, is it my understanding that people on this forum can respectfully question how I did it, but they can't question my veracity?

People on this forum can assert that you didn't do it and respectfully say that they don't believe you.
Quote: darkoz

I think I understand the OP. When I first came to WOV claims that defied the mathematics of gambling were openly attacked and ridiculed.
If someone claimed they always won using a martingale, their claims would be called out as lies.
With the forum rules as they are such conduct, calling someone's claims to be a lie (ipso facto they are a liar) leads to suspension.

It's obvious what you are referring to, so here's my own take (Other moderators may disagree *):-

Quote: rule 12

Absolutely no personal insults. If you disagree with another forum member, politely attack the writing, not the writer.

So can you call a liar a liar: Can you call a troll a troll?

It's my interpretation of Wizard's intention*, that we cannot! As to do so would be a personal insult, EVEN IF the poster is a liar or troll!
Wizard has deemed that to call a member 'Liar' or a 'troll': Is simply not acceptable language. But it would be acceptable to say "What you posted is rubbish and I don't believe you."

A problem arises when mischievous trolls, or fools, or liars incessantly repeat claims that are outrageous. How do we reconcile the forum's aim "a place for sharp gamblers to share ideas, information, and stories." with a defence against mischief makers? It's a constant battle. You've seen how trading polite arguments can quickly escalate into disorderly name calling. We aim for more polite discussion than some other forums.

So, if you make a post claiming that by laying on of hands, or telekinesis, you cured 34 people, it is reasonable to expect other members to challenge your assertion. I might even call your assertion nonsense or mumbo jumbo. Heck, the post itself could be derided or torn to shreds. If you persist in making and defending such claims, you might find yourself suspended or banned for trolling, but that's always at the moderators' discretion.
Quote: darkoz

Not by me. But it's a fine line and I acknowledge that Wizard is more strict than I am.*
Psalm 25:16 Turn to me and be gracious to me, for I am lonely and afflicted. Proverbs 18:2 A fool finds no satisfaction in trying to understand, for he would rather express his own opinion.
  • Jump to: