Thread Rating:

EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
November 17th, 2010 at 10:27:37 PM permalink
My childhood memories are almost perfect. We literally went over the river and thru the woods to my aunts farmhouse every Thanksgiving. It was the late 50's and early 60's. My dad and my 2 uncles would go deer hunting until 2pm and us kids (about 15 of us) would play in the barn till dinner time. The 3 families would sit down to a huge traditional dinner and then settle in front of the TV to watch the Lions football game. The Lions have played every Thanksgiving since 1934. The men would loosen their belts and unhitch their pants, and snooze, and about 7pm we ate leftovers for supper. There was never any arguments, no fighting, nothing but good times.
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
teddys
teddys
  • Threads: 150
November 17th, 2010 at 10:51:35 PM permalink
That's cool that you had the big meal at lunch instead of dinner. That makes more sense for burning the calories off. Is that a Michigan thing, or a country thing, to call lunch "dinner" and dinner "supper?" I remember that from Little House on the Prairie.
"Dice, verily, are armed with goads and driving-hooks, deceiving and tormenting, causing grievous woe." -Rig Veda 10.34.4
EvenBob
EvenBob
November 17th, 2010 at 10:57:05 PM permalink
Farm people always ate the big meal in the middle of the day, and then had the leftovers for supper. It goes back to the days of no refrigeration and no way to keep the food till the next day.
mkl654321
mkl654321
  • Threads: 65
November 17th, 2010 at 10:57:51 PM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

My childhood memories are almost perfect. We literally went over the river and thru the woods to my aunts farmhouse every Thanksgiving. It was the late 50's and early 60's. My dad and my 2 uncles would go deer hunting until 2pm and us kids (about 15 of us) would play in the barn till dinner time. The 3 families would sit down to a huge traditional dinner and then settle in front of the TV to watch the Lions football game. The Lions have played every Thanksgiving since 1934. The men would loosen their belts and unhitch their pants, and snooze, and about 7pm we ate leftovers for supper. There was never any arguments, no fighting, nothing but good times.

Yep. And them wimmenfolk shopped for the food, cooked the meal, served the meal, cleaned up afterward, put away the leftovers, and then brought everybody a slice of pie. Then they went back in the kitchen where they belonged, to talk all their wimmenfolk nonsense. We done whupped them if they came inta the TV room when the menfolks was watchin' football.
The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one. The happiness of credulity is a cheap and dangerous quality.---George Bernard Shaw
EvenBob
EvenBob
November 17th, 2010 at 11:07:09 PM permalink
Quote: mkl654321

Yep. And them wimmenfolk shopped for the food, cooked the meal, served the meal, cleaned up afterward, put away the leftovers, and then brought everybody a slice of pie. Then they went back in the kitchen where they belonged, to talk all their wimmenfolk nonsense. We done whupped them if they came inta the TV room when the menfolks was watchin' football.

All the women in both my family and my wifes huge family still do all the holiday cooking. I guess they just don't know any better. My daughter is cooking for us this year, and she's a terrible cook. She went to college, too. Seems like she didn't get her mind set straight.
thecesspit
thecesspit
  • Threads: 53
November 17th, 2010 at 11:26:40 PM permalink
The Lions have been stinking up that Thanksgiving Day game since around 2000.... which means it hits the 12.30 slot now, which is early doors west coast. Rather annoying I have to work on American Thanksgiving on the one day of the year I'm guaranteed to see my team on non-Pay TV.

'fraid that's as far as my Thanksgiving memories go... it's not my holiday.
"Then you can admire the real gambler, who has neither eaten, slept, thought nor lived, he has so smarted under the scourge of his martingale, so suffered on the rack of his desire for a coup at trente-et-quarante" - Honore de Balzac, 1829
EvenBob
EvenBob
November 17th, 2010 at 11:46:08 PM permalink
Quote: thecesspit

The Lions have been stinking up that Thanksgiving Day game since around 2000

Its tradition, who cares who wins.
EvenBob
EvenBob
November 17th, 2010 at 11:56:12 PM permalink
http://blog.lib.umn.edu/hick0247/engl1501w/rockwell-thanksgiving.jpg
JerryLogan
JerryLogan
  • Threads: 26
November 18th, 2010 at 5:48:37 AM permalink
This year there's a special treat in store. The Patriots play in Detroit and it's on at 9:30am West Coast time. I cannot recall them ever visiting Detroit on Thanksgiving Day in the past.
thecesspit
thecesspit
November 18th, 2010 at 9:18:45 AM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

Its tradition, who cares who wins.

Me, as I'm a Lions fan, but certainly you should (and will) enjoy the tradition.

JL :: The Pats visited the Lions in 2000 and 2002... (I thought I vaguely recalled it happening in my memory, and went to go check...) the Lions won in 2000 and lost in 2002.
"Then you can admire the real gambler, who has neither eaten, slept, thought nor lived, he has so smarted under the scourge of his martingale, so suffered on the rack of his desire for a coup at trente-et-quarante" - Honore de Balzac, 1829
JerryLogan
JerryLogan
  • Threads: 26
November 18th, 2010 at 9:22:38 AM permalink
Quote: thecesspit

Me, as I'm a Lions fan, but certainly you should (and will) enjoy the tradition.

JL :: The Pats visited the Lions in 2000 and 2002... (I thought I vaguely recalled it happening in my memory, and went to go check...) the Lions won in 2000 and lost in 2002.

Were those on Thanksgiving Day?
thecesspit
thecesspit
November 18th, 2010 at 9:24:48 AM permalink
Yes (and obviously at the Lions).
  • Jump to: