bobbartop
bobbartop
  • Threads: 133
January 15th, 2020 at 9:19:33 AM permalink
I'm a republican and I really didn't think I was going to agree with our new governor, a democrat, on very many issues. But suddenly in the news Governor Newsom is pushing big to make California a NO-KILL state regarding shelter animals. I think I'm going to like this guy.

The problem is severe. Over population, massive numbers of perfectly adoptable cats and dogs are euthanized every year in California. In other words, people have money to buy beer and lottery tickets but not a few bucks to have their pets neutered. It's a huge problem. Community involvement is the key. People just have to care enough.

Thank you Governor Newsom.
'Emergencies' have always been the pretext on which the safeguards of individual liberty have been eroded.
TigerWu
TigerWu
  • Threads: 25
Thanked by
bobbartop
January 15th, 2020 at 9:22:03 AM permalink
What I don't get is the people that get a dog and keep it in the backyard all the time or get a cat and just let it roam around outside all the time.

Like... what's the point of getting a pet if you're not going to be with it?
bobbartop
bobbartop
January 15th, 2020 at 9:26:56 AM permalink
Quote: TigerWu

What I don't get is the people that get a dog and keep it in the backyard all the time or get a cat and just let it roam around outside all the time.

Like... what's the point of getting a pet if you're not going to be with it?

two thank-you clicks for this
'Emergencies' have always been the pretext on which the safeguards of individual liberty have been eroded.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 121
January 15th, 2020 at 12:29:06 PM permalink
Quote: bobbartop

I'm a republican and I really didn't think I was going to agree with our new governor, a democrat, on very many issues. But suddenly in the news Governor Newsom is pushing big to make California a NO-KILL state regarding shelter animals. I think I'm going to like this guy.

The problem is severe. Over population, massive numbers of perfectly adoptable cats and dogs are euthanized every year in California. In other words, people have money to buy beer and lottery tickets but not a few bucks to have their pets neutered. It's a huge problem. Community involvement is the key. People just have to care enough.

Thank you Governor Newsom.

Not pro or con.... but does this mean the government is going to guarantee enough funds to keep every animal alive in all shelters across the state? If an animal needs expensive care, say a surgery, will the government pay for it? Or can the shelter deny surgery and watch the animal suffer until dead?
How much will this cost the taxpayers of California, the state that can't even afford to house its homeless humans?
bobbartop
bobbartop
January 15th, 2020 at 12:50:02 PM permalink
Quote: SOOPOO

Not pro or con.... but does this mean the government is going to guarantee enough funds to keep every animal alive in all shelters across the state? If an animal needs expensive care, say a surgery, will the government pay for it? Or can the shelter deny surgery and watch the animal suffer until dead?
How much will this cost the taxpayers of California, the state that can't even afford to house its homeless humans?

I don't know, SooPoo, I just saw the story on the local news this morning. Of course it will require budget. It is a bigger problem in the central part of the state, where I am, than say the Bay Area or north of the Bay, people treat their pets differently. I have been involved in rescue and adoption and have found many loving homes in the northern part of the state, even sent a couple dogs to Oregon and Washington. From Fresno to Bakersfield, it's just awful.

I didn't catch the exact story, but also on the news this morning I think the Governor was coming to Fresno to discuss the homeless problem. Just sayin.
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 209
Thanked by
bobbartop
January 15th, 2020 at 1:02:11 PM permalink
Probably too expensive. But you could trace lost ownership and responsibility better with a DNA base.
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
bobbartop
bobbartop
January 15th, 2020 at 1:12:13 PM permalink
Quote: bobbartop

I don't know, SooPoo, I just saw the story on the local news this morning. Of course it will require budget. It is a bigger problem in the central part of the state, where I am, than say the Bay Area or north of the Bay, people treat their pets differently. I have been involved in rescue and adoption and have found many loving homes in the northern part of the state, even sent a couple dogs to Oregon and Washington. From Fresno to Bakersfield, it's just awful.

I didn't catch the exact story, but also on the news this morning I think the Governor was coming to Fresno to discuss the homeless problem. Just sayin.

https://abc30.com/society/gov-newsom-aiming-to-prevent-deaths-of-animals-in-ca-shelters/5850647/
Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
  • Threads: 236
Thanked by
Joemanams288odiousgambit
January 15th, 2020 at 2:00:00 PM permalink
While I am all for pet adoptions from shelters rather than buying designer animals from pet stores, I think it is more humane, and a better use of tax dollars, to put animals down than to let them sit in overcrowded shelters for months/years. It does come down to the numbers. There's not enough homes for all the pit bulls in shelters. Where will the exploding numbers of "unadoptable" animals go? "No Kill" only enables irresponsible reproduction/breeding since the consequences fall on the responsible owners and the general population in the form of higher fees and taxes.

I know of folks involved in programs that pay to "rescue" dogs from shelters in other countries and have them flown to the USA. Meanwhile, there are human families living in a van by the river. Something is way out of line here.

As for why someone keeps a dog in the yard... home/business defense is an acceptable reason. As for why anyone wants a cat... I have no idea.

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leonardo da Vinci
gordonm888
Administrator
gordonm888 
  • Threads: 60
January 15th, 2020 at 3:20:41 PM permalink
We have a rescue dog at home, but I have to agree with Ayecarumba.

Its an animal population problem.

The fundamental problem is a lack of neutering/spaying of pets. The animals not in a shelter can keep reproducing until there is no room in the shelter. Then the stray/feral animals that are outside the shelter start running out of food sources, and die horrible deaths. This occurs in foreign countries, such as Mexico, where poor towns get over-run by feral cats/dogs.

BTW, all of the environmental problems the world faces in 2020 stem from human overpopulation. Maybe Thanos had the right idea.
So many better men, a few of them friends, are dead. And a thousand thousand slimy things live on, and so do I.
ams288
ams288
  • Threads: 22
January 15th, 2020 at 3:29:14 PM permalink
Quote: Ayecarumba

Oh the accuracy...

———

I felt like running out to the shelter this weekend and adopting a cat after watching Don’t F*** With Cats on Netflix (don’t watch if you’re an animal lover). I found it highly disturbing and it made me feel like I needed to do something to help out a cat.
Ding Dong the Witch is Dead
  • Jump to: