Rigondeaux
Rigondeaux
Joined: Aug 18, 2014
  • Threads: 30
  • Posts: 2537
Thanks for this post from:
Boz
September 8th, 2019 at 7:07:02 PM permalink
Quote: Boz

And on a different tangent, itís why I have Uber and Lyft stock shorted.

Itís not a business model that works. You canít keep Fín People to work for less than minimum wage while driving their cars into the ground. It makes no sense financially.

As a customer, I love it. Until I hear the stories from drivers, waiting for an hour at airports for $8 rides. Come on, this makes no financial sense.

Probably should be in the stock forum, but Iíd love to know how anyone sees a road to profitability for these companies.



I said it in an earlier discussion, but where they really screwed up was discouraging tipping. Their plan was, essentially, to keep the tips for themselves. I think in their minds, riders are willing to pay $x.xx for a ride and they were in competition with the drivers for it.

What they didn't get was, most of us are willing to be generous with a working stiff and make sure he's well paid for a job well done. Especially while looking him in the eye. But, we are less generous with billionaires and giant corps. So it is not true that there is just a fixed amount we are willing to pay. By discouraging tipping, they passed up the opportunity for a big chunk of their labor costs to be taken care of for free.

If Uber covered your operating costs and paid you around min wage you could do pretty well as a driver if a heavy majority tipped $3-5. But they've already been trained not to.

As I'm sure you know, these apps have been screwing drivers over harder and harder. They are also charging riders more. And the real problem is, they still hemorrhage massive amounts of money. It's almost as if Taxis cost what they do for a reason.

Yeah, Uber is ubiquitous. But guess what. If you gave me tens of billions of dollars to start a burger chain, and it was ok for each branch to lose money every year, I'd have one on every corner.

Their hope is that the self driving cars will come and yada yada yada. Problem there is, Apple, GM, Google and others are working on the same goal. And those are some of the sharpest companies in the world, while Uber is a complete s-show.
GWAE
GWAE
Joined: Sep 20, 2013
  • Threads: 93
  • Posts: 9854
Thanks for this post from:
Boz
September 8th, 2019 at 7:15:33 PM permalink
Those food delivery apps suck. I cant remember which one but one of the big ones had first 5 deliveries for free. One day at work I was like I am going to order taco bell. Logged onto the app and ready to get my $5 box meal and it was not there. Actually none of the combos were there. Everything was a la carte and at prices higher than normal. I am not sure if all the restaurants do it that way but no way was paying 2.79 for a taco when they are 1.39 at the store.
Expect the worst and you will never be disappointed. I AM NOT PART OF GWAE RADIO SHOW
DRich
DRich
Joined: Jul 6, 2012
  • Threads: 77
  • Posts: 7917
Thanks for this post from:
Mission146
September 8th, 2019 at 7:41:38 PM permalink
Quote: Mission146

I know, but all that other stuff happens even if the person picks it up. Any pizza driver Iíve asked has made at least the actual MW, not that for waitresses.



In Las Vegas almost all of the servers and bartenders make above average money. With so many patrons in the service industry they tip way above normal.

My first wife was a waitress in a local bar in Las Vegas and averaged $200 a night in tips ten years ago. I am not saying everybody makes that but it is a pretty good earning job in this city. I have two friends that are waiters at a high end restaurant (Joe's) and they both say they average about $400 a night in tips. They have a 5,000 sq ft house that probably cost close to $800,000.

There is so much money to be made in this city.
Order from chaos
Boz
Boz
Joined: Sep 22, 2011
  • Threads: 155
  • Posts: 5701
September 8th, 2019 at 7:51:53 PM permalink
Quote: DRich

In Las Vegas almost all of the servers and bartenders make above average money. With so many patrons in the service industry they tip way above normal.

My first wife was a waitress in a local bar in Las Vegas and averaged $200 a night in tips ten years ago. I am not saying everybody makes that but it is a pretty good earning job in this city. I have two friends that are waiters at a high end restaurant (Joe's) and they both say they average about $400 a night in tips. They have a 5,000 sq ft house that probably cost close to $800,000.



I know a lot about Joeís, one of the few successful businesses on that level at the Forum shops. What do you mean in your last sentence? Many have failed on that level, and on the strip in general. Tips donít tell the entire story as we both know.

I assume you mean a 5000 SF site on the strip pays $800,000 in rent a year. Itís crazy but you are 100% correct.

I have been offered to invest in multiple locations on the strip with what I think is a winning concept. But I canít stomach the rent and still sleep at night. Itís crazy and overpriced by any business metric. That said, some still make incredible money.
RS
RS
Joined: Feb 11, 2014
  • Threads: 62
  • Posts: 8623
September 8th, 2019 at 8:09:43 PM permalink
Quote: Rigondeaux

**The main thing you can do to make your driver's life easier and get your food fast. If you live in some big complex or gated community, or are in an office, communicate to them how to find your place. There isn't some magical delivery boy power ring that tells you how to find unit number 442 in a complex with 50 buildings. GPS doesn't know either. More often than not, the numbering system is just all over the place with no logical sequence.


I've only done delivery a few times....but I've had to deal a lot with AC repairmen and other people like that. I always tell them "it's the first building on the right" (or is it the left? I ain't trynna doxx myself) and "call when you're here/close, I'll go down and find you since you won't be able to get into the building." More often than how often it should happen -- I get a call like 20 minutes after they were supposed to show up, "Yeah I been waiting trying to get into the building for 20 minutes now - WHERE ARE YOU??"

Also domino's delivery drivers are cucks because they won't go to 7-11 and buy me a club soda. The pizza is still GOAT tho.
Boz
Boz
Joined: Sep 22, 2011
  • Threads: 155
  • Posts: 5701
September 8th, 2019 at 8:20:51 PM permalink
Quote: RS

I've only done delivery a few times....but I've had to deal a lot with AC repairmen and other people like that. I always tell them "it's the first building on the right" (or is it the left? I ain't trynna doxx myself) and "call when you're here/close, I'll go down and find you since you won't be able to get into the building." More often than how often it should happen -- I get a call like 20 minutes after they were supposed to show up, "Yeah I been waiting trying to get into the building for 20 minutes now - WHERE ARE YOU??"

Also domino's delivery drivers are cucks because they won't go to 7-11 and buy me a club soda. The pizza is still GOAT tho.



Any issues? Visit https://easy.vegas/
Calder
Calder
Joined: Mar 26, 2010
  • Threads: 5
  • Posts: 530
September 8th, 2019 at 8:40:14 PM permalink
Quote: Gandler

I am pretty sure most states have laws against an employer forcing you to give your social media accounts...


That depends on the job. For instance, any clear-thinking police department, and maybe fire department, will require you to provide your passwords as a condition of employment.

They don't want to find out the hard way that they hired a weekend skinhead.
Mission146
Mission146
Joined: May 15, 2012
  • Threads: 132
  • Posts: 14605
September 8th, 2019 at 8:54:21 PM permalink
Quote: DRich

In Las Vegas almost all of the servers and bartenders make above average money. With so many patrons in the service industry they tip way above normal.

My first wife was a waitress in a local bar in Las Vegas and averaged $200 a night in tips ten years ago. I am not saying everybody makes that but it is a pretty good earning job in this city. I have two friends that are waiters at a high end restaurant (Joe's) and they both say they average about $400 a night in tips. They have a 5,000 sq ft house that probably cost close to $800,000.

There is so much money to be made in this city.



What I meant about the pizza guys was that their base hourly, if they didnít have a single order, was the actual minimum wage, or more, not the one for waitresses. Any tips were on top of that.
https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/off-topic/gripes/11182-pet-peeves/120/#post815219
AxelWolf
AxelWolf
Joined: Oct 10, 2012
  • Threads: 151
  • Posts: 19801
September 8th, 2019 at 9:08:12 PM permalink
Quote: AZDuffman



And so many of our people are too lazy to go out in their flipping car and pick up the food!

I admit, I can be lazy and not want to drive 1.5 miles away to get my pizza.

But how dare you not to have any sympathy for the bus riders of America.😁
♪♪Now you swear and kick and beg us That you're not a gamblin' man Then you find you're back in Vegas With a handle in your hand♪♪ Your black cards can make you money So you hide them when you're able In the land of casinos and money You must put them on the table♪♪ You go back Jack do it again roulette wheels turinin' 'round and 'round♪♪ You go back Jack do it again♪♪
EvenBob
EvenBob
Joined: Jul 18, 2010
  • Threads: 433
  • Posts: 25291
September 8th, 2019 at 10:07:46 PM permalink
Quote: rainman

Vegas has become a joke,



That actually started in the late
80's and has been getting worse
ever since. I don't care if I ever
go to Vegas again, last time I
was there I couldn't wait to leave.
"It's not enough to succeed, your friends must fail." Gore Vidal

  • Jump to: