jjjoooggg
jjjoooggg
  • Threads: 29
Thanks for this post from:
Boz
September 8th, 2019 at 6:16:38 PM permalink
As a fellow restaurant owner past 50 years and started working as a cashier 38 years ago. I visited a famous diner in Austin open for 35 years.. I was sitting when the owner mentioned that he was the owner with the cashier. They didn't seem friendly, so I checked my bill. They added $1 to my total for take out. He hustled me to buy two meals. I can't believe that mean people are so supported by the community. They keep expanding.
I belong to an elite group called the "Zombie Outbreak Response Team."
gamerfreak
gamerfreak
  • Threads: 47
September 8th, 2019 at 6:23:26 PM permalink
Quote: Boz

The delivery services are a scam preying on lazy people. Are you willing to pay $5.95 to get Wendyís delivered?

Drunk/high people who do not want to drive.
jjjoooggg
jjjoooggg
  • Threads: 29
September 8th, 2019 at 6:25:50 PM permalink
Quote: gamerfreak

There were times when I was stuck in a motel with no current car rental. I'd use the delivery service. I was glad that option was available. The drivers seem very professional. Although, the employment pool will always be from a questionable crowd.

an alcoholic had her keys taken. She used uber to goto the liquor store. She had a back up credit card.
I belong to an elite group called the "Zombie Outbreak Response Team."
Rigondeaux
Rigondeaux
  • Threads: 30
Boz
September 8th, 2019 at 6:37:19 PM permalink
Quote: AZDuffman

You have that and other costs. POS system in most places. Have to pay the drivers at least the waitress minimum just to hang around. Boxes aren't free, person taking orders is not free.

I took a delivery job a few months last year to keep food in the fridge. File it under one of those jobs a renaissance man needs to have in his life. From a gal driver they all said was on heroin to a supervisor I was ready to shove in the oven head first, you really see another part of things.

I did it on an app part time for about a year.

As far as real jobs go, it was pretty cool. I'm sociable but ultimately an introvert. Chilling out alone in my car, listening to whatever I wanted, driving around town... I enjoyed it much of the time. Especially on Sundays, when my favorite radio shows were on, or when a baseball game was on.

Some customers were massive a-holes. Some were awesome. Some merchants are also cool and will give you a drink.

It is amazing how many people will pay $10 to have $4 worth of dogfood delivered from McD's or some place. On the other hand, some people will have something like Lowry's delivered which also seems crazy... to spend $75 a head on fancy food, knowing it will have been sitting around for 30 minutes after it was ready to eat.

One girl paid close to $30 to have a boba tea delivered all the way across town. However, my guess is she didn't understand the app.

On a couple of occasions, a scantily clad woman opened the door. I remember one really hot woman in her underwear. Of course, in our current guilty till proven innocent climate, these situations are mainly just uncomfortable.

It's funny cuz in the little driver facebook groups and stuff, half the people thought if a dude answered the door in boxers and a t-shirt he was basically guilty of rape.

Anyway, the company cut our pay by more than 50%. At that point, you were losing money on the delivery and just hoping tips would put you in the black. Too bad, or I might still do it on the occasional Sunday or when I had some extra time with a rental car.

**The main thing you can do to make your driver's life easier and get your food fast. If you live in some big complex or gated community, or are in an office, communicate to them how to find your place. There isn't some magical delivery boy power ring that tells you how to find unit number 442 in a complex with 50 buildings. GPS doesn't know either. More often than not, the numbering system is just all over the place with no logical sequence.
Boz
Boz
  • Threads: 154
Rigondeaux
September 8th, 2019 at 6:38:47 PM permalink
Quote: jjjoooggg

As a fellow restaurant owner past 50 years and started working as a cashier 38 years ago. I visited a famous diner in Austin open for 35 years.. I was sitting when the owner mentioned that he was the owner with the cashier. They didn't seem friendly, so I checked my bill. They added $1 to my total for take out. He hustled me to buy two meals. I can't believe that mean people are so supported by the community. They keep expanding.

They keep expanding, but are they making money?

More locations donít always mean more profits. That said, some have figured it out. Fíng employees by paying them minimum wage under the guise of they need this job is pathetic.

To me the lack of customer service we accept and the lack of appreciation of the quality employees that make it happen saddens me daily.

In the spirit of the rules here, I so wish other small business owners would appreciate the workers out there doing everything to make your experience acceptable. So much we take for granted daily is made possible by everyday people doing their job.

We have such opportunity over chains if we just used common sense and decency.
Boz
Boz
September 8th, 2019 at 6:46:08 PM permalink
And on a different tangent, itís why I have Uber and Lyft stock shorted.

Itís not a business model that works. You canít keep Fín People to work for less than minimum wage while driving their cars into the ground. It makes no sense financially.

As a customer, I love it. Until I hear the stories from drivers, waiting for an hour at airports for $8 rides. Come on, this makes no financial sense.

Probably should be in the stock forum, but Iíd love to know how anyone sees a road to profitability for these companies.
gamerfreak
gamerfreak
  • Threads: 47
Boz
September 8th, 2019 at 6:46:55 PM permalink
On a morning radio show, they were talking about a news story that said that something like 60% of delivery drivers admitted to eating customers food and one point or another.

A bunch of delivery drivers called in to the show and admitted to stealing some fries or chicken fingers on occasion. But one guy called in and said he would take the pepperonis off a pizza, suck on them, and then put them back.

Puke.
Boz
Boz
September 8th, 2019 at 6:48:39 PM permalink

I know you have a better finger on the pulse of the younger generation. Are you willing to invest in these business opportunities? Iím open to your experience.
Sandybestdog
Sandybestdog
  • Threads: 0
September 8th, 2019 at 6:52:40 PM permalink
I delivered pizza for about 4 years. Last job was about 10 years ago. At first it was decent money. The delivery charge started during Hurricane Katrina. It started at $1. We were told it was cause food and fuel prices spiked. Prices went down after a few months, the delivery charge went up. I actually wrote a letter to my state representatives asking them to pass a bill. They were actually quite responsive but I got zero fellow drivers who wanted in on the cause. Nobody cared. When minimum wage went from $5.50 to $7.50, the stores lowered the pay from $5.50 to $4.75 and declared us tipped employees. Last I heard they were paying drivers 2 different tiers based on if they are logged on a delivery or in store.

The places are awful. Cashier screws up the order, you drive all the way back on your dime just to deliver a soda. They donít confirm the address and youíre calling and driving all over trying to find the customer. You ask them to please confirm the address and order with the customer, the manager tells you to stop complaining so much. You kill your car every night. I got in an accident once, insurance drops you. Youíre trying to be the best in an industry full of the worst.
Boz
Boz
September 8th, 2019 at 6:52:45 PM permalink

On a morning radio show, they were talking about a news story that said that something like 60% of delivery drivers admitted to eating customers food and one point or another.

A bunch of delivery drivers called in to the show and admitted to stealing some fries or chicken fingers on occasion. But one guy called in and said he would take the pepperonis off a pizza, suck on them, and then put them back.

Puke.

I believe that is Bullshit, that said, itís not a shock when you hire anyone with a pulse.

We are at 100% employment regardless of government numbers. Anyone who wants a job is employed, anyone without one is unemployable.

Either a junkie, lazy bum, burned every previous job or just a pathetic individual.

• Jump to: