FleaStiff
FleaStiff
  • Threads: 265
September 8th, 2019 at 11:46:10 PM permalink
Quote: RS

-- I get a call like 20 minutes after they were supposed to show up, "Yeah I been waiting trying to get into the building for 20 minutes now - WHERE ARE YOU??".

That is probably a dispatcher's fault. Drivers don't get or don't read the notes.

I recently had to deal with a grocery store delivery service and their shoppers just do not understand that I do not want ANY calls for ANY reason. They just stick to their habits and bug me about six ounce or eight ounce jar or I've started your order now.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 240
Thanked by
Mission146
September 9th, 2019 at 2:25:29 AM permalink
Quote: Mission146

I know, but all that other stuff happens even if the person picks it up. Any pizza driver I’ve asked has made at least the actual MW, not that for waitresses.

Not always. Place I worked had a dedicated take-out/delivery area and people working it. We made less than MW but more than waitress as we had to do dishes and some other goon work.
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 240
September 9th, 2019 at 2:37:34 AM permalink
Quote: Rigondeaux

I did it on an app part time for about a year.

As far as real jobs go, it was pretty cool. I'm sociable but ultimately an introvert. Chilling out alone in my car, listening to whatever I wanted, driving around town... I enjoyed it much of the time. Especially on Sundays, when my favorite radio shows were on, or when a baseball game was on.

Some customers were massive a-holes. Some were awesome. Some merchants are also cool and will give you a drink.

It is amazing how many people will pay $10 to have $4 worth of dogfood delivered from McD's or some place. On the other hand, some people will have something like Lowry's delivered which also seems crazy... to spend $75 a head on fancy food, knowing it will have been sitting around for 30 minutes after it was ready to eat.

One girl paid close to $30 to have a boba tea delivered all the way across town. However, my guess is she didn't understand the app.

The apps are great because as a driver you can both work the systems, they pay more when they launch so switch often, and work when you want. It is beyond great if you need to just make $50-100 a week to either save up for something or make that bit of extra cash to get by. Why someone orders most fast food on an app amazes me, that stuff has to be eaten right away. 20 minute old fast food is just awful.

But the whole delivery thing is great if you like to hustle. I know guys who get to their late 40s and get stuck in the entry-level-office-job thing and find delivery better. While you need to find the right situation, a good delivery driver is gold to a business. Show up on time, clean, and sober plus be polite and efficient. Simple stuff yet rare. One guy I know got $5 extra tip for remembering and calling the dog by name.
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
Gandler
Gandler
  • Threads: 35
September 9th, 2019 at 3:50:13 AM permalink
Quote: Calder

That depends on the job. For instance, any clear-thinking police department, and maybe fire department, will require you to provide your passwords as a condition of employment.

They don't want to find out the hard way that they hired a weekend skinhead.

Two different things, the government is exempt from hiring rules. Just like you can still be polygraphed for government jobs (generally law enforcement or jobs that require a security clearance). However. it is illegal for a civilian employer to polygraph you, regardless of the job responsibilities.

You have more privacy in the private sector. If you work for the government , particularly in Law Enforcement or Intillgence, you lose virtually all privacy.

A waiter being forced to give his Facebook password to his boss because of an allegation that he complained about tips on Facebook is far different than being forced to turn over your Facebook for a high level security check.
  • Jump to: