SOOPOO
  • Threads: 122
April 29th, 2024 at 4:54:17 PM permalink
Quote: GenoDRPh

Quote: SOOPOO

Quote: DRich

Quote: terapined

I'd stay away from Naples, too close to the water with climate change

I couldn't imagine why someone would want to live in Florida and not be by the water.
link to original post

Between you and Bob there are some just bizarre thoughts here. Bob I guess doesn’t like being able to leave his house more than a day or two here and there. And he can get his candles delivered.
DRich, I would like to be in Florida for 1. Weather. 2. Golf. 3. Pool. 4. Other outdoor activities. Please explain to me why I need to be by an ocean? Oh, I forget…. You enjoy watching other people suffer the devastation from the ‘surge’ during the Cat 5 hurricane. By the way, DRich, there are lakes up here you can live on. Do you think lakes are made of water?
link to original post

I;ve grown up and lived by the ocean all my life-swimming and sailing. If I ever move to FLA, I'd want to be able to do those two activities at my leisure. So I can agree with Rich. But, if your liesurely pursuits don't habitually include those, or other activites involving the ocean, I can also agree that proximity isn't that important. To each his own, and enjoy your retirement!
link to original post

Thanks! And, at least as of now, I’m all talk. It is not impossible we do buy near a beach. Wife loved Siesta Key, and has enjoyed Fort Myers. I do like the ocean for swimming. She just likes being nearby. I just won’t pay the extra $$$$ to be right on a beach. Unless it’s a big building condo, not a house. Then it’s ‘possible’ we’d be near/on a beach.
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 86
April 29th, 2024 at 5:16:51 PM permalink

I couldn't imagine why someone would want to live in Florida and not be by the water.
link to original post

Between you and Bob there are some just bizarre thoughts here. Bob I guess doesn’t like being able to leave his house more than a day or two here and there. And he can get his candles delivered.
DRich, I would like to be in Florida for 1. Weather. 2. Golf. 3. Pool. 4. Other outdoor activities. Please explain to me why I need to be by an ocean? Oh, I forget…. You enjoy watching other people suffer the devastation from the ‘surge’ during the Cat 5 hurricane. By the way, DRich, there are lakes up here you can live on. Do you think lakes are made of water?
link to original post

I guess for me it is because I am a beach person and enjoy boating. There is nothing I enjoy more than sitting out on a beach and reading. Granted Florida beaches are not the greatest but they are some of the best available in the continental U.S. If it wasn't for having to help take care of my parents I probably would have ended up in Sarasota or Melbourne.

I usually go to the Caribbean for my vacations for some of the better beaches. I will be here next month:
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
Johnzimbo
Johnzimbo
  • Threads: 4
Thanked by
SOOPOO
April 29th, 2024 at 6:01:36 PM permalink
Sitting on a beach...it's five O'clock somewhere.

Or it's 6 or 7 or 8 O'clock if you are EB :)
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
Thanked by
Johnzimbo
April 29th, 2024 at 9:29:46 PM permalink
Quote: Johnzimbo

link to original post

It could be midnight, one of the things my wife and I have in common is we both hate the beach. It's hot, it's dirty, it's usually loaded with fat old people, and it's boring. I live 40 miles from a lake that looks just like the ocean, Lake Michigan. Haven't been there in 15 years.
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
  • Threads: 16
April 30th, 2024 at 1:54:11 AM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

Quote: Johnzimbo

link to original post

It could be midnight, one of the things my wife and I have in common is we both hate the beach. It's hot, it's dirty, it's usually loaded with fat old people, and it's boring. I live 40 miles from a lake that looks just like the ocean, Lake Michigan. Haven't been there in 15 years.
link to original post

It still looks about how you remember.
May the cards fall in your favor.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 122
April 30th, 2024 at 3:10:44 AM permalink

link to original post

link to original post

I guess for me it is because I am a beach person and enjoy boating. There is nothing I enjoy more than sitting out on a beach and reading. Granted Florida beaches are not the greatest but they are some of the best available in the continental U.S. If it wasn't for having to help take care of my parents I probably would have ended up in Sarasota or Melbourne.

I usually go to the Caribbean for my vacations for some of the better beaches. I will be here next month:

link to original post

The main public beach on Siesta Key is amongst the best in the world. Football fields of soft white sand. You can plop down 20 yards from the ocean, or a hundred yards from the ocean, or more, and still be on the white sand.
Of course if you like ocean boating it is good to be near an ocean.
My point was more about how there are people who like different things, and how weird it is that you couldn’t understand that not everyone thinks like you do.
I may have mentioned trip to Jaco, Costa Rica. Right on the beach. Not as ‘soft’ as Siesta Key, but was 90 degrees in the water. I went in every day. Florida beach water will be way too cold for me most of the year to go in for extended periods of time.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 240
April 30th, 2024 at 3:42:26 AM permalink

link to original post

link to original post

link to original post

On the beach no thanks. But on the balcony of a condo behind the beach, yeah.
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 212
April 30th, 2024 at 7:14:45 AM permalink

link to original post

link to original post

link to original post

The main public beach on Siesta Key is amongst the best in the world. Football fields of soft white sand. You can plop down 20 yards from the ocean, or a hundred yards from the ocean, or more, and still be on the white sand.
Of course if you like ocean boating it is good to be near an ocean.
My point was more about how there are people who like different things, and how weird it is that you couldn’t understand that not everyone thinks like you do.
I may have mentioned trip to Jaco, Costa Rica. Right on the beach. Not as ‘soft’ as Siesta Key, but was 90 degrees in the water. I went in every day. Florida beach water will be way too cold for me most of the year to go in for extended periods of time.
link to original post

Sharks? Shells? Topless women?
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
  • Threads: 16
April 30th, 2024 at 12:06:00 PM permalink
Quote: rxwine

link to original post

Are any of these appealing after the first afternoon?
May the cards fall in your favor.
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 212
Thanked by
Dieter
April 30th, 2024 at 12:12:39 PM permalink
Quote: Dieter

Quote: rxwine

link to original post

Are any of these appealing after the first afternoon?
link to original post

I doubt if the shark is interested after it tries human food for the first time.
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
  • Jump to: