Thread Rating:

beachbumbabs
Administrator
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 99
Thanks for this post from:
RigondeauxFinsRuleTumblingBonesunJonAcesAndEightsHunterhillPokerGrinder
January 23rd, 2019 at 6:02:02 AM permalink
The real epidemic is a psychological one, known as Dunning-Kruger effect.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning–Kruger_effect

Quote:

Dunning–Kruger effect is a cognitive bias in which people of low ability have illusory superiority and mistakenly assess their cognitive ability as greater than it is. The cognitive bias of illusory superiority comes from the inability of low-ability people to recognize their lack of ability. Without the self-awareness of metacognition, low-ability people cannot objectively evaluate their competence or incompetence.[1]

As described by social psychologists David Dunning and Justin Kruger, the cognitive bias of illusory superiority results from an internal illusion in people of low ability and from an external misperception in people of high ability; that is, "the miscalibration of the incompetent stems from an error about the self, whereas the miscalibration of the highly competent stems from an error about others."[1]

Air Traffic Controllers were extremely susceptible to this, in my 30 years of close association. They/we would spend years training on one narrow subject to the nth detail and developing a God complex in order to do their jobs with the degree of confidence necessary to move metal without killing people.

But ATC doesn't require any general intelligence or education. It requires a combination of relatively rare mental skills, reflexes, and specialized knowledge. And once trained, people could legitimately claim to be experts. The problem comes in when they extrapolate their specialized expertise into general knowledge when confronted by information beyond it.

So many really frustrating walls of ignorance in break room or slow traffic conversations. So many wasted opportunities to actually learn something. It's all just multiplying with the fast transmission of disinformation.

Anti-Vaxxers is a prime example. Based on one flawed and discredited study (they actually ADMITTED they doctored the results to fit their theory!), spreading like wildfire among pop celebrities and other alternative medical theorists, and unduly affecting children who can't decide for themselves. Insane to put everyone's health at risk for this ignorance.
Last edited by: beachbumbabs on Jan 23, 2019
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
FinsRule
FinsRule
  • Threads: 125
January 23rd, 2019 at 6:16:49 AM permalink
Thank you babs. I pressed thank you button, but I wanted to do even more.
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 217
January 23rd, 2019 at 7:28:23 AM permalink
I suppose all those victims of small pox could have been saved if their diet didn't contain so much processed food?
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
AcesAndEights
AcesAndEights
  • Threads: 67
terapined
January 23rd, 2019 at 7:55:45 AM permalink
For the good of society, I hope ZK is sterile.
"So drink gamble eat f***, because one day you will be dust." -ontariodealer
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 116
RogerKintAcesAndEights
January 23rd, 2019 at 8:21:45 AM permalink
Quote: ZenKinG

Secondly, FASTING would end all diseases as we know it.

Multiple points to make. First.... Anyone making such a patently stupid comment as that would be banned immediately from a forum I was responsible for. If you want to say fasting helps in many ways fight diseases, overall makes for a healthier lifestyle, etc., we can have a discussion. Fasting ending thyroid cancer? Fasting ending spina bifida? Fasting ending ALS? Too ridiculous to waste time discussing.

I am not an 'anti-vaxxer', but I do believe in individuals generally having rights to not be forced to do something just because the evidence shows it would be better for them. I get a flu shot yearly but totally support those that do not want it. I take a daily baby aspirin but totally support an individual who despite the overwhelming evidence it is in their best interests, chose not to. (Stroke prevention, heart attack prevention). To force someone to be vaccinated the evidence for societal protection must be overwhelming and clear. So the vaccinations given to newborns meets that criteria. In the past smallpox did.
I mean, society allows people to smoke cigarettes, so it is not like it is consistent.
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 217
January 23rd, 2019 at 8:59:29 AM permalink
Isn't fasting, as described in the bible, simply refraining from food or drink from dawn to dusk?
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
Hunterhill
Hunterhill
  • Threads: 50
January 23rd, 2019 at 9:33:37 AM permalink
Quote: SOOPOO

Multiple points to make. First.... Anyone making such a patently stupid comment as that would be banned immediately from a forum I was responsible for. If you want to say fasting helps in many ways fight diseases, overall makes for a healthier lifestyle, etc., we can have a discussion. Fasting ending thyroid cancer? Fasting ending spina bifida? Fasting ending ALS? Too ridiculous to waste time discussing.

I am not an 'anti-vaxxer', but I do believe in individuals generally having rights to not be forced to do something just because the evidence shows it would be better for them. I get a flu shot yearly but totally support those that do not want it. I take a daily baby aspirin but totally support an individual who despite the overwhelming evidence it is in their best interests, chose not to. (Stroke prevention, heart attack prevention). To force someone to be vaccinated the evidence for societal protection must be overwhelming and clear. So the vaccinations given to newborns meets that criteria. In the past smallpox did.
I mean, society allows people to smoke cigarettes, so it is not like it is consistent.

SooPoo,I think there are new studies ,that now show baby aspirin might not be effective.
Not claiming to be an expert,just something I remember reading.
The mountain is tall but grass grows on top of the mountain.
RonC
RonC
  • Threads: 40
January 23rd, 2019 at 10:08:04 AM permalink
Quote: Hunterhill

SooPoo,I think there are new studies ,that now show baby aspirin might not be effective.

"Clinical guidelines note the benefits of aspirin for preventing heart attacks and strokes in persons with vascular conditions such as coronary artery disease,” said NIA Director Richard J. Hodes, M.D. “The concern has been uncertainty about whether aspirin is beneficial for otherwise healthy older people without those conditions. This study shows why it is so important to conduct this type of research, so that we can gain a fuller picture of aspirin’s benefits and risks among healthy older persons.”

https://www.nih.gov/news-events/news-releases/daily-low-dose-aspirin-found-have-no-effect-healthy-life-span-older-people
Minty
Minty
  • Threads: 7
beachbumbabsOnceDear
January 23rd, 2019 at 10:32:20 AM permalink
I'm kind of frustrated that anti intellectualism is so prominent between anti vaxxers, flat earthers, rubbish diets and cleanses and so many other things. The complete and utter lack of evidence to support the claims that vaccines are harmful should be enough to convince anyone.
"Just because I'm not doing anything illegal, doesn't mean I won't have to defend myself someday." -Chip Reese
gamerfreak
gamerfreak
  • Threads: 53
RogerKint
January 23rd, 2019 at 12:31:34 PM permalink
Quote: Hunterhill

I am NOT anti-science or medicine by any stretch of the imagination, but I did some research into how a lot of these studies are conducted, and I really don’t think it’s smart to let the ebb and flow of research to effect your daily decision making.

So many of these studies are done through Epidemiology. Which is more or less just statistical analysis of huge medical databases. They find some sort of correlation, but rarely prove any kind of mechanism of action.

Media outlets love to cling on to their “NEW RESEARCH SHOWS” clickbait when the actual research does not prove anything.

I’d be interested if SOOPOO has any comments on this.

• Jump to: