Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1194
November 3rd, 2018 at 7:28:31 AM permalink
Quote: billryan

Lying to a Federal Agent is a crime in and of itself. Every time I purchase, at a legal dispensary, the information is recorded and who knows who it is shared with. I've been told the police in Nevada can search these purchases and revoke the concealed weapons permit of anyone who purchases. Who knows where else it goes.
I'm not concerned about who sees it but I wouldn't be dishonest about it.

Well, I am not going to feel guilty about lying in answer to a question where the information is none of the asker's business. I doubt anybody is going to care about what I may purchase at the dispensary.
It's not whether you win or lose; it's whether or not you had a good bet.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
November 3rd, 2018 at 7:32:14 AM permalink
Quote: Keyser

Ermm...FYI when driving into Canada they do ask you if you own a gun in the US. (They asked me, on two separate trips.) Of course you should lie and say that you don't own one so that they don't deny your entry into Canada.

Everybody gets asked when entering any country, it seems to me, whether the trip is for business or vacation. Everybody answers vacation, regardless of the truth. Once in my younger days I checked "business" when entering Canada through the Toronto airport. I won't go through the whole story, but it was as if nobody had ever checked "business" before, they send me to a big room with nobody in it and then make me fill out lots of forms and pay a big fee to do business in Canada. They told me I was lucky to get in at all, as I didn't have the pre-authorization forms I was supposed, which was true. That was the last time I made that mistake to check "business." Since then, every time I enter Canada I seem to get extra scrutiny, but they always let me in.

My point being that this is a question people lie about probably routinely and everybody knows it.
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 148
November 3rd, 2018 at 9:08:32 AM permalink
Quote: Wizard

Everybody gets asked when entering any country, it seems to me, whether the trip is for business or vacation. Everybody answers vacation, regardless of the truth. Once in my younger days I checked "business" when entering Canada through the Toronto airport. I won't go through the whole story, but it was as if nobody had ever checked "business" before, they send me to a big room with nobody in it and then make me fill out lots of forms and pay a big fee to do business in Canada. They told me I was lucky to get in at all, as I didn't have the pre-authorization forms I was supposed, which was true. That was the last time I made that mistake to check "business." Since then, every time I enter Canada I seem to get extra scrutiny, but they always let me in.

My point being that this is a question people lie about probably routinely and everybody knows it.

I must say I'm pretty surprised by your answer. I never would have guessed you would favor situational honesty.
Anyone can be honest when there are no consequences.
Nathan
Nathan
  • Threads: 65
November 3rd, 2018 at 9:51:58 AM permalink
Couldn't you just use a loophole and say,"I will not answer yes or no" Even if you did smoke pot, technically you haven't answered yes or no, so they can't pin anything on you so you're in the clear.
In both The Hunger Games and in gambling, may the odds be ever in your favor. :D "Man Babes" #AxelFabulous "Olive oil is processed but it only has one ingredient, olive oil."-Even Bob, March 27/28th. :D The 2 year war is over! Woo-hoo! :D I sometimes speak in metaphors. ;) Remember this. ;) Crack the code. :D 8.9.13.25.14.1.13.5.9.19.14.1.20.8.1.14! :D "For about the 4096th time, let me offer a radical idea to those of you who don't like Nathan -- block her and don't visit Nathan's Corner. What is so complicated about it?" Wizard, August 21st. :D
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
November 3rd, 2018 at 10:47:52 AM permalink
Quote: billryan

I must say I'm pretty surprised by your answer. I never would have guessed you would favor situational honesty.
Anyone can be honest when there are no consequences.

I think almost everyone subscribes to situational honesty. It is just where you draw the line that varies. Did you see the movie Inglourious Basterds? If so, do you remember the scene where the French farmer was asked if he knew anything about the Jewish family he was hiding in his hidden basement? If so, how would a moral person answer that question?

Quote: Nathan

Couldn't you just use a loophole and say,"I will not answer yes or no" Even if you did smoke pot, technically you haven't answered yes or no, so they can't pin anything on you so you're in the clear.

They probably will say, "If you want to enter the U.S., then we'll need a "yes" or "no" answer." I suppose a super honest person just wouldn't enter then, but what does it gain anybody?
darkoz
darkoz 
  • Threads: 206
November 3rd, 2018 at 10:57:05 AM permalink
"Yes but I didnt inhale"

"I was so high I honestly dont remember"

"I may have had Cannabis once when I was stranded in the jungle with all those Cannibals"
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 148
November 3rd, 2018 at 11:08:02 AM permalink
As Mr Churchill supposedly said- we have already determined what you are. We are now haggling over the price.
I was taught that everytime you lie, the next lie comes easier. When people get to the point where routinely lying ,simply for convenience sale, becomes the norm, that society's best days are behind it.
ChesterDog
ChesterDog
  • Threads: 6
November 3rd, 2018 at 11:18:05 AM permalink
Nathan
Nathan
  • Threads: 65
November 3rd, 2018 at 12:35:29 PM permalink

I think almost everyone subscribes to situational honesty. It is just where you draw the line that varies. Did you see the movie Inglourious Basterds? If so, do you remember the scene where the French farmer was asked if he knew anything about the Jewish family he was hiding in his hidden basement? If so, how would a moral person answer that question?

They probably will say, "If you want to enter the U.S., then we'll need a "yes" or "no" answer." I suppose a super honest person just wouldn't enter then, but what does it gain anybody?

It does no one any good. Pot is a damn PLANT! A PLANT. If I took some actual grass and lit it up like a cigarette and smoked it like a cigarette, no one would deny me entry to another Country for doing that. Sure I'd get some,"This person is a weirdo," looks but I would still be allowed into another Country even after smoking actual grass.
In both The Hunger Games and in gambling, may the odds be ever in your favor. :D "Man Babes" #AxelFabulous "Olive oil is processed but it only has one ingredient, olive oil."-Even Bob, March 27/28th. :D The 2 year war is over! Woo-hoo! :D I sometimes speak in metaphors. ;) Remember this. ;) Crack the code. :D 8.9.13.25.14.1.13.5.9.19.14.1.20.8.1.14! :D "For about the 4096th time, let me offer a radical idea to those of you who don't like Nathan -- block her and don't visit Nathan's Corner. What is so complicated about it?" Wizard, August 21st. :D
Keyser
Keyser
  • Threads: 34
November 3rd, 2018 at 1:24:06 PM permalink
Quote: Nathan

It does no one any good. Pot is a damn PLANT! A PLANT. If I took some actual grass and lit it up like a cigarette and smoked it like a cigarette, no one would deny me entry to another Country for doing that. Sure I'd get some,"This person is a weirdo," looks but I would still be allowed into another Country even after smoking actual grass.

Ermm FYI... You're not allowed to bring plants or produce across the borders either. (Unless you're an approved importer of course.)

I look at this way, the pot question is kind of like the USA's way of getting them on the gun question. Besides the US has been a bit pissed off over the unfair trade that we had for several years. Fortunately Trump finally negotiated a much better North American Trade Deal.

• Jump to: