Wizard
Administrator
Wizard 
  • Threads: 1325
March 24th, 2018 at 5:35:50 PM permalink
I'm sorry to hear that. Here is his last post, if anyone is interested. I'd be interested to know how those stocks are doing now. Here is a nice zinger that got him a rare appearance on the Suspension List.

Steel was an intelligent good member. I can't say that I knew him personally but would read his posts when just surfing that site as he usually had something worthwhile to say.

As to not knowing of his death until months later, my father had a "Doomsday File" in his filing cabinet full of passwords and legal documents we might need after his death. I should have logged into his Email to tell his friends of his passing but just didn't think of it at the time. I probably thought word would circulate among his circle but it didn't. Many people wrote to me months later expressing their sympathy and saying they had just heard long after his death. Might be a good idea to create such a list myself, just in case.
It's not whether you win or lose; it's whether or not you had a good bet.
HugoSlavia
HugoSlavia
  • Threads: 1
March 24th, 2018 at 6:17:20 PM permalink
Quote: Wizard

I'd be interested to know how those stocks are doing now.

I entered the tickers into Stockcharts for the 165-day period since July 27th. The results don't look encouraging. 7 of the 25 stocks performed better than the S&P 500. Best was SolarEdge, up 137%.

14 of the 25 performed worse than the S&P. Worst was Applied Optoelectronics, down 72%.

4 of the 25 are out of play. Nimble Storage was bought by HP. Flamel Tech merged with another company to become Avadel. Infoblox and Albany Molecular were both taken private.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard 
March 24th, 2018 at 6:24:46 PM permalink
Quote: HugoSlavia

I entered the tickers into Stockcharts for the 165-day period since July 27th. The results don't look encouraging. 7 of the 25 stocks performed better than the S&P 500. Best was SolarEdge, up 137%.

Interesting. Thanks for looking into it.
HugoSlavia
HugoSlavia
  • Threads: 1
March 24th, 2018 at 6:46:40 PM permalink
The companies are very small, mostly below $1B market cap. I've only heard of three of them.

In that part of the market, it's probably normal to have some big losers, but you can make up for it by picking something that gains 500 or 1000%. He didn't have any of those, although had he been able to continue adjusting the portfolio, the results may have been different.
Nathan
Nathan
  • Threads: 65
March 24th, 2018 at 7:17:26 PM permalink
It is pretty shocking that a long time member has passed away. I remember recently being shocked that Pai Gow Dan has passed away. He also was a long time member and I just recently was thinking, "Haven't seen any recent Pai Gow Dan posts or threads in a long time. When I read in a recent post that he had dies, my heart dropped. :( He was nice and wise. :(
In both The Hunger Games and in gambling, may the odds be ever in your favor. :D "Man Babes" #AxelFabulous "Olive oil is processed but it only has one ingredient, olive oil."-Even Bob, March 27/28th. :D The 2 year war is over! Woo-hoo! :D I sometimes speak in metaphors. ;) Remember this. ;) Crack the code. :D 8.9.13.25.14.1.13.5.9.19.14.1.20.8.1.14! :D "For about the 4096th time, let me offer a radical idea to those of you who don't like Nathan -- block her and don't visit Nathan's Corner. What is so complicated about it?" Wizard, August 21st. :D
Keeneone
Keeneone 
  • Threads: 15
March 24th, 2018 at 7:19:35 PM permalink
Thanks for letting the forum know about his passing. I certainly enjoyed his posts/participation on this site.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard 
March 24th, 2018 at 7:47:56 PM permalink
I should start an in memoriam (why doesn't my spell checker like that?) thread of members who have left us.
Last edited by: Wizard on Mar 25, 2018
djatc
djatc
  • Threads: 83
March 24th, 2018 at 8:34:01 PM permalink
I don't know the life expectancy of the average person but last year 100% of people I heard of that died, died way too young. Reminds me of an old friend I had from back in elementary school who died like 5 years ago, he was mountain climbing or something and fell off a cliff. He would probably have been 30 or so this year. I wonder what his birthdays would have been like after 9/11, since he was born on September 11th.
"Man Babes" #AxelFabulous
rsactuary
rsactuary
  • Threads: 18
March 24th, 2018 at 9:14:32 PM permalink
Quote: MaxPen

A lot of people are driven away from this site by the moderation. I was suspended for saying, "as the bell tolls" before. Now look at what has transpired since. This is really not the thread to talk about this though.

I did not know SteeldCo. Everyone is going to meet their maker one day. It is always a reminder to enjoy each and every moment that you are blessed with. Life is short.

But yet you can't help but make an insult in the process. Shame on you, but I'm not surprised.. it seems to be who you are. If you don't like the moderation here... don't let the door hit your butt on the way out.
Homelessnyc
Homelessnyc
  • Threads: 5
Thanks for this post from:
MaxPenRogerKintRSSOOPOO
March 24th, 2018 at 9:23:00 PM permalink
Quote: rsactuary

But yet you can't help but make an insult in the process. Shame on you, but I'm not surprised.. it seems to be who you are.

Pot meet kettle

• Jump to: