4 votes (33.33%)
2 votes (16.66%)

12 members have voted

FleaStiff
FleaStiff
  • Threads: 265
October 15th, 2011 at 12:56:12 AM permalink
Quote: Wizard

Why do they always just stand there staring each other down for a long time in the Westerns?

Pure Hollywood. Most Western shootouts were at very close range, often involved several shots each and quite often both participants wound up dead as did a bystander or two which is why most towns banned the wearing of guns.
pacomartin
pacomartin
  • Threads: 649
October 15th, 2011 at 5:01:20 AM permalink

I'm not sure where to begin. How about, what are the basic rules of a dual? Assuming you were a good shot, what would be the reason not to shoot first?

http://www.imfdb.org/w/images/2/2e/Navy51S.jpg]
The Good carries a Colt 1851 Navy revolver with a loading gate cartridge conversion kit (which is anachronistic for the time).

One interesting question is who was the Bad intending to shoot first. Since he doesn't fire a shot, it is not clear who he was aiming at. In general I would think that the second shot fired could be more damaging. There is really no such thing as good aim with a pistol at a distance if you are in a rush to fire.

The Good had the advantage over the other two that he only had to worry about gunfire from one direction. In that sense the movie did stretch truth a little because initially he was still the fastest and the most accurate.

Over six hundred European Westerns were made between 1960 and 1980. It's remarkable that European filmmakers were so fascinated by this American film style.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1493
October 15th, 2011 at 6:10:29 AM permalink
Quote: pacomartin

The Good had the advantage over the other two that he only had to worry about gunfire from one direction. In that sense the movie did stretch truth a little because initially he was still the fastest and the most accurate.

Can you expand on this point, I don't see why he would not have to worry both of the others.

Anyone see the movie Barry Lyndon? In that movie the two participants took turns firing. I don't know how they determined who went first, perhaps they randomized it.

I've seen other movies where you walked 20 paces (or whatever) in the opposite direction and then turned around and fired upon a referees command.

What were the rules in the Hammilton/Burr duel?
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:18 (NIV)
pacomartin
pacomartin
  • Threads: 649
October 15th, 2011 at 7:35:45 AM permalink

Can you expand on this point, I don't see why he would not have to worry both of the others.

The Good had removed the bullets from the gun of The Ugly the night before. Since he was the only one who knew this fact, he only had to worry about being shot from the Bad. The audience was unaware also.

In theory 'The Bad' might have chosen to shoot 'The Ugly' and 'The Good' could have taken his time to aim carefully and kill 'The Bad'. But that would have been a less than moral ending. Instead, 'The Good' outdrew 'The Bad' and wounded him. He then shot him to death in cold blood while 'The Ugly' was looking for bullets.

Of course, if 'The Ugly' had died in the Mexican Standoff, they wouldn't have had the great ending.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
October 15th, 2011 at 8:36:40 AM permalink
Quote: pacomartin

In theory 'The Bad' might have chosen to shoot 'The Ugly' and 'The Good' could have taken his time to aim carefully and kill 'The Bad'.

I thought they used revolvers, in which case it would not take long to get a second shot off. Perhaps the dynamic at play is that it still take longer to rotate 120 degrees to shoot the second guy than it takes him to unholster his gun and shoot.

A practical question is how long did it take between shots to cock the weapon?

Finally, what is the proper Spanish word/expression for pistol, pistola or arma de fuego?
Face
Administrator
Face
  • Threads: 49
October 15th, 2011 at 2:57:37 PM permalink

I thought they used revolvers, in which case it would not take long to get a second shot off. Perhaps the dynamic at play is that it still take longer to rotate 120 degrees to shoot the second guy than it takes him to unholster his gun and shoot.

A practical question is how long did it take between shots to cock the weapon?

I'm not terribly familiar with this specific gun, but I would guess it's a double action (pulling the trigger both cocks and fires the weapon). If the cylinder is ever showed being spun out from the body of the gun, it's double. "Time to cock", in either case, is minimal. I shoot both double and single action revolvers, as well as semi and pump action shotguns and find no measurable difference in time to fire. In fact, the ones you would think would take longer (single and pump) are actually faster if you consider regaining accuracy after the first shot. I can get off 4 shots per second fanning the hammer of a Ruger .44 mag single action, which is pretty similar in size and weight of a Navy Colt.

I think "cocking" shouldn't be considered, since the unholster and the turn take so much longer in comparison.
The opinions of this moderator are for entertainment purposes only.
buzzpaff
buzzpaff
  • Threads: 112
October 15th, 2011 at 3:15:44 PM permalink
[To his brother Pablo] You think you're better than I am? Where we came from, if one did not want to die of poverty, one became a priest or a bandit! You chose your way, I chose mine. Mine was harder. You talk of our mother and father. You remember when you left to become a priest? I stayed behind! I must have been ten, twelve. I don't remember which, but I stayed. I tried, but it was no good. Now I am going to tell you something. You became a priest because you were... too much of a coward to do what I do!
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
March 11th, 2014 at 9:01:19 AM permalink
Joke Time!

Three logicians walk into a bar. The bartender asks them "Do all three of you want a drink?"

The first logician says "I don't know."

The second logician says "I don't know."

The third logician says "Yes!"
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 240
March 11th, 2014 at 9:03:16 AM permalink

Joke Time!

Three logicians walk into a bar. The bartender asks them "Do all three of you want a drink?"

Took a second but I chuckled. Nice break from reading deeds.
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
March 11th, 2014 at 9:31:01 AM permalink
Quote: AZDuffman

Took a second but I chuckled.

Me too! Glad you liked it.
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 86
March 11th, 2014 at 9:52:21 AM permalink

I realize this thread is old but I just saw it.

It takes a very good gunfighter about 1/3 of a second from when the signal is given to unholster the weapon, cock it, fire it, and hit the target. I only know this because my daughter shoots Quick Draw competitions. She is 16 and shoots a colt 45 with a 7 inch barrel and her best time is about a half second.
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 100
March 11th, 2014 at 9:55:47 AM permalink

Joke Time!

Very good! lol...
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
Perdition
Perdition
  • Threads: 36
March 11th, 2014 at 10:54:02 AM permalink

Joke Time!

gpac1377
gpac1377
  • Threads: 8
March 11th, 2014 at 11:03:45 AM permalink
Quote: Perdition

That must be the episode I missed. Is the chickie an android?

By the way Perdition, where have you been? Please post more :)
"Scientists tell us that the fastest animal on earth, with a top speed of 120 feet per second, is a cow that has been dropped out of a helicopter."
AcesAndEights
AcesAndEights
  • Threads: 67
March 11th, 2014 at 12:32:22 PM permalink
Quote: gpac1377

That must be the episode I missed. Is the chickie an android?

By the way Perdition, where have you been? Please post more :)

That is Lal, a prototype Android that Data built based on himself. Unfortunately, her positronic brain was not stable and she became nonfunctional within the scope of one episode. It was sad.

Anyway, I didn't get it either.
"So drink gamble eat f***, because one day you will be dust." -ontariodealer
wudged
wudged
  • Threads: 2
March 11th, 2014 at 12:38:23 PM permalink
Quote: AcesAndEights

Anyway, I didn't get it either.

The question is asking if all of them want a drink. The first one can either say no if he/she does not want one, but can not say yes without knowing the answers of the others. Same for the second. The third can conclude that since neither of the first two said "no" that they actually do want a drink. The third does as well, and is able to definitively answer "yes."
djatc
djatc
  • Threads: 83
March 11th, 2014 at 12:39:42 PM permalink
Quote: DRich

I realize this thread is old but I just saw it.

It takes a very good gunfighter about 1/3 of a second from when the signal is given to unholster the weapon, cock it, fire it, and hit the target. I only know this because my daughter shoots Quick Draw competitions. She is 16 and shoots a colt 45 with a 7 inch barrel and her best time is about a half second.

This saves you the trouble of having to brandish your shotgun when she brings home a date like in the movies.
"Man Babes" #AxelFabulous
  • Jump to: