WatchMeWin
WatchMeWin
Joined: May 20, 2011
  • Threads: 105
  • Posts: 1636
January 10th, 2017 at 6:56:58 AM permalink
As disturbing as it is to have our incoming president tweeting out comments on a show title, as he did with 'Blackish' this week, I was always thinking the same thing. How does a network put on a show called 'Blackish'. I understand diversity and such, but the hypocrisy is ridiculous.
'Winners hit n run... Losers stick around'
ams288
ams288
Joined: Sep 26, 2012
  • Threads: 22
  • Posts: 5592
January 10th, 2017 at 7:13:38 AM permalink
Quote: WatchMeWin

As disturbing as it is to have our incoming president tweeting out comments on a show title, as he did with 'Blackish' this week, I was always thinking the same thing. How does a network put on a show called 'Blackish'. I understand diversity and such, but the hypocrisy is ridiculous.



Have you ever watched the show?
Ding Dong the Witch is Dead
RS
RS
Joined: Feb 11, 2014
  • Threads: 62
  • Posts: 8623
January 10th, 2017 at 7:19:33 AM permalink
Quote: ams288

Have you ever watched the show?



It sounds awful.
ams288
ams288
Joined: Sep 26, 2012
  • Threads: 22
  • Posts: 5592
January 10th, 2017 at 7:31:13 AM permalink
Quote: RS

It sounds awful.



I've never watched it, but I've heard good things.

And if Donald thinks it's racist, it's gotta be good.
Ding Dong the Witch is Dead
ams288
ams288
Joined: Sep 26, 2012
  • Threads: 22
  • Posts: 5592
January 10th, 2017 at 7:34:51 AM permalink
Here's the tweet, for anyone who's curious:



And here's the best response:

Ding Dong the Witch is Dead
VCUSkyhawk
VCUSkyhawk
Joined: Sep 22, 2013
  • Threads: 21
  • Posts: 644
January 10th, 2017 at 9:34:59 AM permalink
Quote: ams288

Have you ever watched the show?



I have watched the show. Watched most of the first season. The father in the show while funny, can border on some racist comments. The wife and the children are hilarious. The young daughter is cute.
I got a plan, we take all your picks we reverse them like one of those twilight zone episodes where everything is the opposite. You say "black" we go white.
ThatDonGuy
ThatDonGuy
Joined: Jun 22, 2011
  • Threads: 110
  • Posts: 5413
January 10th, 2017 at 10:14:24 AM permalink
How does it do it? One viewing of the pilot explains it. The lead male character works in an advertising agency, and is put in charge of "urban" campaigns, which he considers a racist slight; IIRC, his first "ad" smacks of Amos & Andy-level racism, and when everybody else reacts appropriately (as he expected), he points out something like, "You don't want black - you want black-ish!" before revealing his actual ad, which is more what they were expecting (middle-class blacks).

As for "white-ish", I can think of a couple of shows where this would apply in a similar vein; Roseanne and Raising Hope. (Possibly [i[My Name is Earl as well.)

I'd hate to see what Trump thought of The White Shadow...
terapined
terapined
Joined: Dec 1, 2012
  • Threads: 88
  • Posts: 5903
January 10th, 2017 at 10:32:29 AM permalink
White Men cant jump
Loved the movie
I'm sure Trump hates the title lol
Trump needs to grow up
WOV supports censorship. Bring back free speech challenging lies.
MathExtremist
MathExtremist
Joined: Aug 31, 2010
  • Threads: 88
  • Posts: 6526
January 10th, 2017 at 10:34:54 AM permalink
Quote: ThatDonGuy

How does it do it? One viewing of the pilot explains it. The lead male character works in an advertising agency, and is put in charge of "urban" campaigns, which he considers a racist slight; IIRC, his first "ad" smacks of Amos & Andy-level racism, and when everybody else reacts appropriately (as he expected), he points out something like, "You don't want black - you want black-ish!" before revealing his actual ad, which is more what they were expecting (middle-class blacks).

In other words, in context, the show's title isn't racist at all? You mean this is just another example of artificial outrage and perceived insult when none exist?

I thought it was a conservative dogma that leftist social justice warriors had a monopoly on artificial outrage. I guess not.

Or maybe Trump is a closet SJW? That'd be just desserts.
"In my own case, when it seemed to me after a long illness that death was close at hand, I found no little solace in playing constantly at dice." -- Girolamo Cardano, 1563
WatchMeWin
WatchMeWin
Joined: May 20, 2011
  • Threads: 105
  • Posts: 1636
January 10th, 2017 at 10:35:57 AM permalink
Quote: ThatDonGuy

How does it do it? One viewing of the pilot explains it. The lead male character works in an advertising agency, and is put in charge of "urban" campaigns, which he considers a racist slight; IIRC, his first "ad" smacks of Amos & Andy-level racism, and when everybody else reacts appropriately (as he expected), he points out something like, "You don't want black - you want black-ish!" before revealing his actual ad, which is more what they were expecting (middle-class blacks).

As for "white-ish", I can think of a couple of shows where this would apply in a similar vein; Roseanne and Raising Hope. (Possibly [i[My Name is Earl as well.)

I'd hate to see what Trump thought of The White Shadow...



The White Shadow!!! Damn that was a good show. lol They should remake that show but with a black coach and call it the 'Black Shadow'.... see how that works out. Or just call it 'The Steelers'.
'Winners hit n run... Losers stick around'

  • Jump to: