boymimbo
boymimbo
Joined: Nov 12, 2009
  • Threads: 17
  • Posts: 5994
October 14th, 2016 at 7:32:11 AM permalink
Addiction groups serve as support groups when rightly formed, with people you can hopefully rely on when tempted or swayed.
----- You want the truth! You can't handle the truth!
LuckyPhow
LuckyPhow
Joined: May 19, 2016
  • Threads: 52
  • Posts: 678
October 14th, 2016 at 12:46:23 PM permalink
Quote: jjjoooggg


Hawaii has a casino. LOL.



Really? What casino? Which island?

As far as I know, Hawaii has neither casinos nor any other type of legal gambling (lottery, etc.)
MrV
MrV
Joined: Feb 13, 2010
  • Threads: 316
  • Posts: 6969
October 14th, 2016 at 12:54:14 PM permalink
I just finished reading an article which relates nicely to this issue.

My alma mater in Portland is pioneering a program to counsel / treat folks, typically teens and young men, who have an addiction to gaming / video games, usually the ones that you play online against others such as "Call of Duty."

The article points out what seems common sense: the dynamics of gaming addiction and gambling addiction are quite similar, and treatment modalities are / will likely be similar as well; it's a new field.

There is concern about getting funding for treatment; gambling addiction treatment is paid for by the state, but gaming addiction isn't.

So if little Johnny is online gaming 17 hours a day, there is help available, but ma and pa will have to dig deep into their gambling bankroll to pay for it.

Wicked world.
"What, me worry?"
MathExtremist
MathExtremist
Joined: Aug 31, 2010
  • Threads: 88
  • Posts: 6526
October 14th, 2016 at 1:20:13 PM permalink
Quote: MrV

I just finished reading an article which relates nicely to this issue.

My alma mater in Portland is pioneering a program to counsel / treat folks, typically teens and young men, who have an addiction to gaming / video games, usually the ones that you play online against others such as "Call of Duty."

The article points out what seems common sense: the dynamics of gaming addiction and gambling addiction are quite similar, and treatment modalities are / will likely be similar as well; it's a new field.

Can you please post a link? I may be interested in volunteering or contributing somehow (I live nearby). I've read dozens of papers on the topic and one thing that frequently seems to jump out at me as a game designer is that many clinicians don't really understand the games they're studying. So you end up with a cross sectional study of "slot machine players" even though slots vary significantly in outcome distribution, etc. In other words, the control isn't what they think it is.
"In my own case, when it seemed to me after a long illness that death was close at hand, I found no little solace in playing constantly at dice." -- Girolamo Cardano, 1563
FDEAD3709
FDEAD3709
Joined: Oct 1, 2016
  • Threads: 2
  • Posts: 94
October 14th, 2016 at 1:45:23 PM permalink
Quote: MathExtremist

Can you please post a link? I may be interested in volunteering or contributing somehow (I live nearby). I've read dozens of papers on the topic and one thing that frequently seems to jump out at me as a game designer is that many clinicians don't really understand the games they're studying. So you end up with a cross sectional study of "slot machine players" even though slots vary significantly in outcome distribution, etc. In other words, the control isn't what they think it is.



+ 100
beachbumbabs
Administrator
beachbumbabs
Joined: May 21, 2013
  • Threads: 99
  • Posts: 14232
October 14th, 2016 at 2:18:26 PM permalink
Quote: MathExtremist

Can you please post a link? I may be interested in volunteering or contributing somehow (I live nearby). I've read dozens of papers on the topic and one thing that frequently seems to jump out at me as a game designer is that many clinicians don't really understand the games they're studying. So you end up with a cross sectional study of "slot machine players" even though slots vary significantly in outcome distribution, etc. In other words, the control isn't what they think it is.



That would be outstanding of you, ME. I hope you do get involved, maybe even as a paid SME. It certainly needs to be looked into.
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
MrV
MrV
Joined: Feb 13, 2010
  • Threads: 316
  • Posts: 6969
October 14th, 2016 at 4:32:37 PM permalink
article: "Not Just Fun and Games"

Lewis&Clark, The Chronicle Magazine, Portland, Oregon, Fall 2016, pp 22-23

For more information, visit: go.lclark.edu/graduate/community-counseling
"What, me worry?"
Dyvan13
Dyvan13
Joined: May 27, 2016
  • Threads: 42
  • Posts: 97
March 10th, 2017 at 12:08:37 PM permalink
Okay, update. I've taken a long break. and analyzed why I do the things I did. It started out as just playing AP video poker, which is good! When I got bored with AP video poker, I'd go and play other (bad) games. I'm treating AP VP as if it were a hobby and staying away from negative expectation games, with the very exception being during get-togethers with friends, or an occasional $20-$40 sports bet.

When I made this thread months ago, I felt the cold hard reality of being at the bottom of the proverbial "bell curve". It doesn't matter how "good" a bet is; if you are in that bottom 15% of the theoretical statistical distribution, things are going to feel like hell (even more so if you are playing negative expectation games, i.e. Craps). It was a lesson every gambler learns.


And I got that promotion at my job ;)

Going forward, I'm playing in only AP situations, save the aforementioned exceptions. I've found a new awareness and respect for volatility. Gambling will only be a hobby because should another huge cold streak arise, I can always walk away being that my job is my primary source of income.

Believe it or not, I actually came back at the end of 2016 and won back all of my losses playing AP VP. It was a beautiful reprieve, and haven't given it back playing negative expectation games. 2017 has treated my very well so far too. I'm prepared for the downswings when it inevitably happens.
Dyvan13
Dyvan13
Joined: May 27, 2016
  • Threads: 42
  • Posts: 97
March 10th, 2017 at 12:15:15 PM permalink
Re-reading my original post: Quite embarrassing and humiliating.

Don't let yourself get caught in a web of bad compulsive behavior.
WatchMeWin
WatchMeWin
Joined: May 20, 2011
  • Threads: 105
  • Posts: 1636
March 10th, 2017 at 12:44:15 PM permalink
Addiction counseling business is going to get even bigger and bigger as our world is becoming one big opioid using, casino and gaming society. There will continue to be a need for help at staggering rates. Sad.
'Winners hit n run... Losers stick around'

  • Jump to: