98Clubs
98Clubs
  • Threads: 52
July 14th, 2015 at 6:55:44 PM permalink
This morning EDT here, both Google (Chrome) and Mozilla (Firefox) started to block (render unusable) Flashware in websites. This affects all versions of the browsers, not just the latest release. These are major browsers, rejecting flash as being unsafe and insecure. On-line gaming sites that have an instant-play option usually tie flashware to this ability. Thats bad news for these gaming sites... of course websites like YouTube and Pogo are also gonna take a hit. Facebook was openly critical, and is presumed to have done likewise.

Closer to the WoO site, I don't think this is much of a problem, but the boss's sites with instant play has a concern.
Some people need to reimagine their thinking.
BlueEagle
BlueEagle
  • Threads: 5
July 14th, 2015 at 9:51:15 PM permalink
I just used Chrome to visit a few websites that use Flash and didn't have any trouble. Nothing was blocked and I didn't get any error messages.

However, several Java games on WoO/WoV haven't been working on my computer. I get a pop-up alert saying Application Blocked by Java Security.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-3160644/Google-Mozilla-pull-plug-Adobe-Flash-Tech-giants-disable-program-browsers-following-critical-security-flaw.html

Quote:

Google and Mozilla have pulled support for the Adobe Flash plugin on Chrome and Firefox.
On Chrome, users will see an error message when they visit sites running Flash prompting them to upgrade the plugin, or it will let them 'Run this time.'
This enables the plugin for that specific video or graphic.
But when they try to update it, as per Google's official instructions, the component fails to update.
Google has not released an official statement.
On Firefox, updating the vulnerable Shockwave Flash plugin takes users to a blocked plugin page.
It explains: 'Flash Player Plugin between 11.0 and 11.7.700.169 has been blocked for your protection.
'Old versions of the Flash Player plugin are potentially insecure and unstable. All users are strongly recommended to update on our plugin check page.'

• Jump to: