Perdition
Perdition
  • Threads: 36
April 10th, 2015 at 6:15:34 PM permalink
I think all this bickering is stupid, especially when we have a much bigger issue on our hands.

Is the cat going up or down the stairs?
Greasyjohn
Greasyjohn
  • Threads: 134
April 10th, 2015 at 7:13:07 PM permalink
Quote: Perdition

I think all this bickering is stupid, especially when we have a much bigger issue on our hands.

The last mention of cat in these forums was when a cat was standing just beneath a piece of dangling twine that was just out of reach.
Kerkebet
Kerkebet
  • Threads: 1
April 10th, 2015 at 7:36:40 PM permalink
Quote: Perdition

http://www.cnet.com/news/the-webs-big-question-is-this-cat-going-up-or-downstairs/
Nonsense is a very hard thing to keep up. Just ask the Wizard and company.
mcallister3200
mcallister3200
  • Threads: 17
April 10th, 2015 at 8:03:00 PM permalink
You gotta get up to get down
DrawingDead
DrawingDead
  • Threads: 9
April 10th, 2015 at 8:04:29 PM permalink
Quote:

going up or down

No. It is not.

It goes nowhere, with a circular motion twisting endlessly into itself, spinning and shrinking into an infinitesimally small fur-ball point in space, with a shrill noise producing only an illusion of motion related to absolutely nothing in any external reality beyond itself, because it is an internet discussion cat.
"I'm against stuff like crack and math" --AxelWolf
Greasyjohn
Greasyjohn
April 10th, 2015 at 8:07:45 PM permalink
What's next, M.C. Escher?
Greasyjohn
Greasyjohn
April 10th, 2015 at 11:44:09 PM permalink
http://www.cnet.com/news/the-webs-big-question-is-this-cat-going-up-or-downstairs/

I think the cat has to be going down the stairs. If you look at the edge of each stair there is a raised lip. If the cat we're going down stairs the lip would just be a slight extension of the horizontal stepping area of each step. But if the cat we're going up the stairs then the footstep area of each step would have a raised section at the edge that would make the surface area of each step not flat and therefore unsafe. And the lip would be more likely to catch a heel.

Other than that, the "normal" conclusion would be that the cat is going up the stairs, because the camera position would be more natural. Also, the area that would be at the "bottom" of the stairs is consistent with a open room. Where as if the cat we're going down the stairs you would expect a banister or railing at what would be the top of the stairs.

A vital clue to whether it's up or down, lip or no lip, is the foot position of the cat's left front paw. If you could "prove" which surface the paw was resting on the up/down question would be solved. It doesn't look like a visual determination can be ascertained, but since the cat's weight is resting on the front left paw measurements of the cat by forensic cat experts should hold the answer.
petroglyph
petroglyph
  • Threads: 19
April 11th, 2015 at 12:37:34 AM permalink
Good catch on the step lip, GJ. I think the feline is going down. But one thing I'm sure of, if that is my cat [or the kids] that cat is headed somewhere to screw me over in some way. Tear up the sofa or chair, get on the counter and lick the butter, or just defecate on my side of the bed.

Cats hate me, they can tell. Conversely dogs will strain at their leash to get to me so I will pet them, strange. I think it is an aura and they see in a different way than than we do?

Abandoned cats and pets kill millions and millions of migratory songbirds. If you love them, please keep them home.
rudeboyoi
rudeboyoi
  • Threads: 27
April 11th, 2015 at 1:52:25 AM permalink
Trying to come up with an argument for the cat is going up. What if the steps are like some kind of cement (or is it concrete?) and the lip is just the edge where they poured the cement in? The lip would have to be vertical for them to pour it in.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1390
April 11th, 2015 at 4:06:01 AM permalink
Having had cats for many years, I think he is going down. Something about the way the cat is postured. The reason cats have tails is for balance. I could see a cat having his tail up going down and down going up. Kind of like how it is harder going downhill on a unicycle than going uphill in terms of balancing.

Then again, you could argue the tail isn't up but just behind him. Still, I would lay only about 6 to 5 on down.
It's not whether you win or lose; it's whether or not you had a good bet.

• Jump to: