bumblingfool
bumblingfool
  • Threads: 5
September 16th, 2014 at 7:20:48 PM permalink
is payout the gross win and pays the net win or vice versa or something else?

e.g.
betting on roulette red has a payout of 2 and pays 1?
rdw4potus
rdw4potus
  • Threads: 80
September 16th, 2014 at 7:40:06 PM permalink
Are you seeing those terms somewhere in particular?
"So as the clock ticked and the day passed, opportunity met preparation, and luck happened." - Maurice Clarett
Romes
Romes
  • Threads: 29
September 17th, 2014 at 1:12:22 PM permalink
Quote: bumblingfool

is payout the gross win and pays the net win or vice versa or something else?

e.g.
betting on roulette red has a payout of 2 and pays 1?

For what you're referring too: Payout = total amount back, Pays = Odds of the bet.

In your example the "pays" refers to the odds... Red/Black is a 1-1 bet, so it "pays" 1 time on your money.

Another example would be betting a third of the board in roulette. It PAYS 2-1. So if you bet $10 and hit, it pays you 2-1 (two times on your money) on your 10, and your total PAYOUT (including your initial wager) would be $30.

Payouts I would generally think are associated with jackpots, etc, because that's the total lump sum win. Pays generally regards to the odds you're getting on the bet. I hope I'm not mixing things up, just attempting to answer the specific question you appear to be asking.
Playing it correctly means you've already won.
bumblingfool
bumblingfool
September 24th, 2014 at 6:59:48 PM permalink
Quote: Romes

For what you're referring too: Payout = total amount back, Pays = Odds of the bet.

In your example the "pays" refers to the odds... Red/Black is a 1-1 bet, so it "pays" 1 time on your money.

Another example would be betting a third of the board in roulette. It PAYS 2-1. So if you bet $10 and hit, it pays you 2-1 (two times on your money) on your 10, and your total PAYOUT (including your initial wager) would be $30.

Payouts I would generally think are associated with jackpots, etc, because that's the total lump sum win. Pays generally regards to the odds you're getting on the bet. I hope I'm not mixing things up, just attempting to answer the specific question you appear to be asking.

Thanks.
Is this standard across the industry?
payout = gross
pays = net
bumblingfool
bumblingfool
September 24th, 2014 at 7:14:33 PM permalink
Quote: rdw4potus

Are you seeing those terms somewhere in particular?

Seems there is no convention. People use pays, payout, payoff and switch the meaning of them.

Pays=net

Pays=gross
  • Jump to: