DrawingDead
DrawingDead
  • Threads: 9
September 2nd, 2014 at 8:16:46 PM permalink
It has been a while for me, but Fairgrounds is something that I think can be kind of special, or kind of not, depending on who has their paws on it. It has a special place in the city. And it is right in the city, and people in New Orleans really do like having it there.

Quote:

(I had my wedding there)

Really?!? She was down wit dat? She got a sister?
"I'm against stuff like crack and math" --AxelWolf
Boz
Boz
  • Threads: 154
September 2nd, 2014 at 8:34:12 PM permalink
http://totalfratmove.com/wes-welker-suspended-for-popping-molly-at-kentucky-derby/

Maybe taking Molly makes you better at picking winners! Then again, this may help the NFL when he sues them for being Brain Dead after all his concussions.
teddys
teddys
  • Threads: 150
September 2nd, 2014 at 9:07:39 PM permalink
If I had to pick one racetrack as a destination to go to, should I go to Santa Anita or Keeneland?
"Dice, verily, are armed with goads and driving-hooks, deceiving and tormenting, causing grievous woe." -Rig Veda 10.34.4
DrawingDead
DrawingDead
September 2nd, 2014 at 9:36:34 PM permalink
Quote: teddys

If I had to pick one racetrack as a destination to go to, should I go to Santa Anita or Keeneland?

I like Santa Anita a lot, and have spent a lot of time there, and still feel a little thrill when I get near the big joint. But if you could only ever go to one: Keeneland. In my estimation (and a lot of things you could objectively count that tend to have dollar signs attached) Saratoga and Keeneland are the absolute tops on this side of the planet, and I think which wins out between those two is just a matter of individual taste, and Keeneland would win my vote for most holy shrine of the sport. But Santa Anita is still worthy of being mentioned in the same paragraph with those two, if you're making a top ten or even top five racetrack pilgrimage list, in my opinion.

ADDENDUM - Here's a nice collection of photos someone did for the 150th anniversary of Saratoga:
http://elariophotography.com/saratoga-race-course/

I think I've got something similar for Keeneland (my home office screensaver is a slideshow of Keeneland scenes) and I'll put that here when I find it. I'm not sure if I've got anything like that handy for Santa Anita.

Okay, here's a little photo gallery Keeneland has on their site, but you can probably find a lot more if you search around a bit:
http://www.keeneland.com/discover/gallery
ontariodealer
ontariodealer
  • Threads: 7
September 2nd, 2014 at 11:43:30 PM permalink

tough to pick one but santa anita, keeneland, saratoga and arlington are all high on the list.
get second you pig
FinsRule
FinsRule
  • Threads: 120
September 3rd, 2014 at 7:50:53 PM permalink
Quote: DrawingDead

It has been a while for me, but Fairgrounds is something that I think can be kind of special, or kind of not, depending on who has their paws on it. It has a special place in the city. And it is right in the city, and people in New Orleans really do like having it there.

Really?!? She was down wit dat? She got a sister?

And she let me name my oldest daughter after the best filly/mare of all time (no, not ruffian), so I'm a pretty lucky guy. We honeymooned at del mar, 5 years ago. Good times.
FinsRule
FinsRule
  • Threads: 120
September 3rd, 2014 at 7:52:09 PM permalink

I'd go keeneland and take some tours of horse farms while you're there. Perfect time to go would be november 2015 for breeders cup.
DrawingDead
DrawingDead
September 3rd, 2014 at 8:47:29 PM permalink
Shame on you! You named that poor little girl Groupie Doll.
Keeneone
Keeneone
  • Threads: 19
September 3rd, 2014 at 9:04:45 PM permalink
Quote: DrawingDead

Shame on you! You named that poor little girl Groupie Doll.

I would guess Rachel A....

My vote: Keeneland, in the Fall, with the leaves changing colors. Lexington is a special place for equine fans.
Buzzard
Buzzard
  • Threads: 90
September 3rd, 2014 at 9:30:08 PM permalink
Delaware Park used to be awful pretty !
Shed not for her the bitter tear Nor give the heart to vain regret Tis but the casket that lies here, The gem that filled it Sparkles yet

• Jump to: