manicmonkey
manicmonkey
  • Threads: 1
February 25th, 2014 at 8:46:20 AM permalink
Hi, I'm new to this forum, just joined after reading the slot machine section of the Wizard website.

I have coded a simple three reel, 20 stop slot machine based on the Wizard's model but it has raised some questions in my mind. The model did not mention reel layout (what order the symbols are in on each reel). I appreciate that this shouldn't make any difference in single line betting but how does it affect probabilities with multi line betting?

Is there a special way of calculating odds for three row betting? and how about diagonal, that would be five directions???

Thanks in advance for any help here - really appreciate it.

Lawrence
MathExtremist
MathExtremist
  • Threads: 88
February 25th, 2014 at 9:04:23 AM permalink
Multi-line games are typically done using longer reels with equally-likely stops. There may be more of one symbol than another on the reel, but if each stop is equally likely then each payline containing one symbol from each reel has the same RTP.
"In my own case, when it seemed to me after a long illness that death was close at hand, I found no little solace in playing constantly at dice." -- Girolamo Cardano, 1563
manicmonkey
manicmonkey
  • Threads: 1
February 25th, 2014 at 2:52:24 PM permalink
Thank you so much for your reply.

I take what you say onboard but does reel layout not affect the possibility of multiple win lines, in for example a three reel, three line machines. If so, my question is how to workout calculate the resulting overall probabilities for the machine.

Maybe I am talking rubbish but it just seems like this would have an impact???
MathExtremist
MathExtremist
  • Threads: 88
February 25th, 2014 at 4:31:35 PM permalink
Yes, reel layout impacts overall hit frequency. For a given symbol distribution, having like symbols appear on the same visible reel section will decrease overall hit frequency and increase average win amount. There are a few shortcut methods to estimate those but in order to get it perfect you need to iterate over all possibilities.
"In my own case, when it seemed to me after a long illness that death was close at hand, I found no little solace in playing constantly at dice." -- Girolamo Cardano, 1563
  • Jump to: