LarryS
LarryS
  • Threads: 67
January 9th, 2014 at 9:02:38 PM permalink
Does anyone remember the days not too long ago where you could almost set your watch to 2 hours for the length of a basketball or hockey game?Now they go closer to 2.5 hours...and we are not getting an extra 30 min of entertainment....its the advertising

When is enough..enough? Will it end up causing lesser viewership as advertisiing is increased beyond tolerance?

And I am not talking about commerials during time outs.

We are bombarded by commercials throughout the game....either with the bottom of the screen pop ups, or the announcers tylng an event on the field with a company.

If I listen to a SF GiANTS baseball game on the radio...there are regular adverts between innings

But then there are adverts within the game

the star spangled banner is bought to you by.......xyz the leader in car body repair call 333-6666 for a free estimate
the stolen base is broughtto your by xyz security company where your can get your home wired for as little as 99 dollars, abd mention out broadcast and get an additional 10 percent off
the grab of the game brought to you by xyz insurance company
the hit of the game berought to you by.....xxxxxxxxxx
The attendance brougnt to you by, some accountng firm
The temperature brought to you by...xxxxxx
the change of pitcher brought to you by the xyz oil change company
xy company is donating 100 dollars to the local police athletic league for that home run,,,,and every homerun this year
the SF broadcast booth is sponsored by an airline company and that has to be spoken during the game

There are so many adverts slipped into a game that we are almost numb to.

Its funny..I remember about 35 years ago....in baseball I thought it was so cute how they made a pitching change, the rolaids relief pitching change.....slipping in an advert into the game. It was so novel that it was kind of cool. Now its just overbearing.

The amount of advert income is amazing. There used to be stationary billboards in the stadiums. Now there are either electronic billboards, or billboards that flip to another advert every minute or so.

Now broadcasters not only have to call a game but have to incorporate dozens of adverts within their calls.
KeyserSoze
KeyserSoze
  • Threads: 13
January 9th, 2014 at 9:09:24 PM permalink
Good post Larry. I agree with all of it.
Talent hits a target no one else can hit; genius hits a target no one else can see.
Face
Administrator
Face
  • Threads: 49
January 9th, 2014 at 9:19:05 PM permalink
Enough is never enough. You watch hockey on TV; ever see the digital adds that pops onto the glass? Much like the first down line and line of scrimmage in football, it's just a digital overlay, but it covers the entire glass area behind the net.

Every board with a different sponsor, often electronic so that the sponsor may change every minute or so.

Ever watch the EHL? Their uniforms would make a NASCAR driver blush.

The only reason TV even exists is because of advertising. Adverts pay for the service, so you get your cable for free. Oh, wait. That brilliant idea never materialized. Because profits.

Nothing you can do. Even a boycott would just increase the ads, probably, as they fight over the remaining people.

Easy fix - stop watching TV. It works wonders, I tell ya. And you can still get your sports fix online, like a sir.
The opinions of this moderator are for entertainment purposes only.
LarryS
LarryS
January 9th, 2014 at 9:29:12 PM permalink
WE GET IT FROM MULTIPLE ANGLES.

All that advertising in the stadium, visual overlays on TV, million dollar per minute commercials at the superbowl, etc.....WE PAY FOR IT.....not only by enduring longer games, or annoying visuals during the games...but when we buy the products.

Advertising is always passed down to the final consumer.

If we see michael jordan in an advert for undershirts....be assured that if you buy that undershirt you are helping to pay michael jordans cost to the company

The cost of the massive billboards in the stadiums,.....ADVERT COST PASSED ON

The overlay digital adverts on the hockey glass.......whatever the product of service is.....cost passed on to us whether we watch the even or not

So we pay more for tickets, for cable sports packages, for products, and end up being barraged by more adverts during the play of game..whats in it for us the consumer....I dont see us getting any extra entertainment or value
1arrowheaddr
1arrowheaddr
  • Threads: 14
January 9th, 2014 at 9:32:25 PM permalink
The number of pitches thrown per game is up 22 since 1988. More players/teams realized the value of walks and making the starting pitchers burn more pitches. The ads don't bother me until the playoffs. Those games take FOREVER.
skrbornevrymin
skrbornevrymin
  • Threads: 1
January 9th, 2014 at 9:32:43 PM permalink
Gotta wonder, how effective is such advertising? Is it really worth the money? In my case, as a consumer, probably not. Still glad to let some other sucker pay the bill for my entertainment though. Keep up the good work guys! :)
98Clubs
98Clubs
  • Threads: 52
January 9th, 2014 at 10:01:15 PM permalink
If you have EVER heard a recent NYYankees broadcast, this is gospel. And its Radio. TV is just unwatchable, run a play, go to break... TV timeouts, manager interviews in the dugout midgame, squeaky sneakers, 60 second putts, yotta, yotta, yotta. I did not answer the other poll about Fave sport on TV... err uh CATV, cuz the answer is ZERO.

About the only thing I can sttand on radio even is a RedSox game, and if I get the post time a ggood Horse Race. After that its slim or none, and slim lost the ticket.
Some people need to reimagine their thinking.
Buzzard
Buzzard
  • Threads: 90
January 9th, 2014 at 10:03:23 PM permalink
I believe it was the 7th game of 1957 World Series. Not one player of either team stepped out of the batters box once he went up to bat !
Shed not for her the bitter tear Nor give the heart to vain regret Tis but the casket that lies here, The gem that filled it Sparkles yet
LarryS
LarryS
January 9th, 2014 at 10:03:55 PM permalink
Quote: skrbornevrymin

Gotta wonder, how effective is such advertising? Is it really worth the money? In my case, as a consumer, probably not. Still glad to let some other sucker pay the bill for my entertainment though. Keep up the good work guys! :)

Over the last 10 years, the buyers of Buicks have paid for the cost of Tiger Woods....whether they like golf or not, whether they watch golf or not..even if they never heard of Tiger.

If you eat at Mcdonalds, you are paying for the million dollar perminute commericals during the superbowl whether you watch the superbowl or not

Same for gatoraide, dominos, papa johns, round table, a multitude of vehicles, geico, doritos, coke, pepsi, burger king, wendys. Hardys/carls Jr, walmart, target, walgreens, CVS.....we all pay...even if its a few extra pennies for fries we pay
98Clubs
98Clubs
  • Threads: 52
January 9th, 2014 at 10:04:11 PM permalink

Actually, radio is a very good bargain. Cheaper rights and cheaper advert time. Cost of Radio to the end user is basically a one-time Jackson + batteries, CATV is a Benjamin every month, and you get the same product.
Some people need to reimagine their thinking.
skrbornevrymin
skrbornevrymin
  • Threads: 1
January 9th, 2014 at 11:57:09 PM permalink
What I was getting at is how many units of a product get sold specifically because they were the "sponsor" of the seventh inning stretch or something like that? For example, most if not all of the Buicks sold had nothing to do with their sponsorship of Tiger Woods' seventh hole birdie. Probably the exception would be something that you could get or consume at that exact moment like a beer or a soft drink or Doritos, and the commercial reminded you that you were thirsty or hungry or something.
LarryS
LarryS
January 10th, 2014 at 9:27:08 AM permalink

What I was getting at is how many units of a product get sold specifically because they were the "sponsor" of the seventh inning stretch or something like that? For example, most if not all of the Buicks sold had nothing to do with their sponsorship of Tiger Woods' seventh hole birdie. Probably the exception would be something that you could get or consume at that exact moment like a beer or a soft drink or Doritos, and the commercial reminded you that you were thirsty or hungry or something.

I am thinking that the corportions are going for a cumulative effect...a saturation effect. Just getting their name in your subconcience. When a player or coach talks to the media after the game, there is a backdrop of advertising behind them...again no one is seeing that and running out to get the product...its just another cumulative effect to get the name on the top of peoples minds.
treetopbuddy
treetopbuddy
  • Threads: 34
January 10th, 2014 at 10:29:53 AM permalink
The corporate advertising slows everything down and is irritating. Baseball slowed down big time when the mound was lowered. Today a high percentage of pitchers appear to be suffering from OCD. Grab the crotch, kick the dirt, walk off the mound, spit, rub the ball, grab the crotch, walk up on the mound ....repeat
Each day is better than the next
AcesAndEights
AcesAndEights
January 10th, 2014 at 10:38:04 AM permalink
Quote: Face

Easy fix - stop watching TV. It works wonders, I tell ya. And you can still get your sports fix online, like a sir.

Is that similar to "like a boss?"
"So drink gamble eat f***, because one day you will be dust." -ontariodealer
Face
Administrator
Face
January 10th, 2014 at 10:56:35 AM permalink
Quote: AcesAndEights

Is that similar to "like a boss?"

Yup, just more sophisticated ;)
Perdition
Perdition
  • Threads: 36
January 10th, 2014 at 11:00:38 AM permalink
Quote: Face

Yup, just more sophisticated ;)

It's funny but I didn't actually see commercials until I went to streaming sites like VIPBox to watch some games. It must of worked because after I saw the Grand Theft Auto V commercial with the Stevie Nick's song I went and bought all the old games. Lukily they had them i a bundle for 11 dollars. Also bought more Jack in the Box because of his stoner commercials he made for his "munchie meals" (spoiler:They aren't worth it)
Face
Administrator
Face
January 10th, 2014 at 11:24:14 AM permalink
Quote: Perdition

It's funny but I didn't actually see commercials until I went to streaming sites like VIPBox to watch some games. It must of worked because after I saw the Grand Theft Auto V commercial with the Stevie Nick's song I went and bought all the old games. Lukily they had them i a bundle for 11 dollars. Also bought more Jack in the Box because of his stoner commercials he made for his "munchie meals" (spoiler:They aren't worth it)

Weird. I stream from the UK, so it either goes black with the message "We'll be right back", or it sends commercials for stuff I couldn't possibly get or want like Dairylea cheese singles or Heinz spotted dick. I suppose it "worked" as I remember the ads, but they ain't making a dime off me =p
  • Jump to: