EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 434
March 28th, 2013 at 12:59:27 PM permalink
It gets you there on time on a non stop flight
for sometimes half what you pay a regular airline.
What more do you need to know.
"It's not enough to succeed, your friends must fail." Gore Vidal
pacomartin
pacomartin
  • Threads: 649
March 28th, 2013 at 1:10:27 PM permalink
Quote: kenarman

Will likely continue to use them for the cities they service as Bellingham is more convenient for me than Vancouver, about 2/3's of the Bellingham airport traffic is Canadian passengers.

Allegiant goes to 8 destinations out of Bellingham now, including two in Hawaii. They also fly out of Plattsburgh NY (22 miles from border) to 4 Florda destinations and Las Vegas. They fly from Buffalo to 3 Florida destinations, but presumably Toronto is better able to compete than Ontario airport.

The flight from Plattsburgh is encouraging as previously they had not been flying from the East Coast to Vegas. I think the old jets were capable of longer flights, but they just weren't fuel efficient to make them profitable. As they are acquiring new jets, they are flying longer distances. It might give some relief to East Coast passengers (especially in NJ) who have to pay huge air fares to get to Vegas.
kenarman
kenarman
  • Threads: 28
March 28th, 2013 at 1:41:00 PM permalink
Quote: pacomartin

The flight from Plattsburgh is encouraging as previously they had not been flying from the East Coast to Vegas. I think the old jets were capable of longer flights, but they just weren't fuel efficient to make them profitable. As they are acquiring new jets, they are flying longer distances.

Allegiant now flies to Hawaii direct from Bellingham. I have not flown the route myself yet but know several people who have with no problems. Hopefully the jets on this 100% over water flight aren't too old. As with all their flights rates are extremely attractive, under $300 taxes in.
Be careful when you follow the masses, the M is sometimes silent.
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 80
March 28th, 2013 at 1:55:40 PM permalink
Quote: kenarman

Allegiant now flies to Hawaii direct from Bellingham. I have not flown the route myself yet but know several people who have with no problems. Hopefully the jets on this 100% over water flight aren't too old. As with all their flights rates are extremely attractive, under $300 taxes in.

I believe they only fly their 757's on the Hawaii routes. Their 757's went into service from 1992-1994.
Order from chaos
rudeboyoi
rudeboyoi
  • Threads: 27
March 28th, 2013 at 2:49:55 PM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

It gets you there on time on a non stop flight
for sometimes half what you pay a regular airline.
What more do you need to know.

exactly.
MidwestAP
MidwestAP
  • Threads: 22
March 28th, 2013 at 2:57:29 PM permalink
I've flown Allegiant from Cedar Rapids and Des Moines to Las Vegas a number of times. Their business model is to transport to/from second tier airports and common tourist destinations (most notably Las Vegas and Orlando). Here's the pro/cons as I've experienced them.

Con's
Schedule flexibility - Allegiant offers only one single flight (2-6 days a week) to most destinations.

Charges - They charge for EVERYTHING. While more and more airlines are charging for seat assignment, early boarding, alcohol, and food, Allegiant takes it to a new level with charges for water, soda, headsets, and more. My last flight the counter person was telling me that my carry on was too big to fit in the overhead and I should check it (and of course pay the fee). It is my common business carry on and I knew it would fit. He insisted that it would cost me more at the gate and was really trying to pressure me to check. I refused and it fit just fine with room to spare. So be cautious of high pressure sales.

Comfort - Old, loud planes with hard, uncomfortable seats.

There isn't a loyalty program (at least that I'm aware of)

Pro's
Price, ususally - While the base fare can often be less than the common commercial carriers it isn't always the case. And don't forget to factor in taxes and charges. Check around, many times I've found other carriers to be the same or less than Allegiant.

Direct Flights - They service many airports that would otherwise require a connection.

One other note, for years, on the Las Vegas bound flight, Allegiant flight attendents would facilitate a game where anyone could put a $5 bill (I also saw this played with $20 bill and one time a $100 bill) with your seat number written on it into a bag for a drawing. Then a non-participant would draw for the winner of the bag of money. It was fun and made them distinguisable from other airlines. I've noticed they don't do this any longer, but don't know why?

All in all, I fly Allegiant if the total price is 10-15% less than I can get from other air carriers. Otherwise I can accumulate miles in a more comfortable environment with schedule flexibility on United, American, Delta.
tringlomane
tringlomane
  • Threads: 8
March 28th, 2013 at 3:08:56 PM permalink
Quote: MidwestAP

One other note, for years, on the Las Vegas bound flight, Allegiant flight attendents would facilitate a game where anyone could put a $5 bill (I also saw this played with $20 bill and one time a $100 bill) with your seat number written on it into a bag for a drawing. Then a non-participant would draw for the winner of the bag of money. It was fun and made them distinguisable from other airlines. I've noticed they don't do this any longer, but don't know why?

Probably technically illegal, and someone ratted them out. Interesting touch though.

• Jump to: