kewlj
kewlj
  • Threads: 216
December 3rd, 2012 at 11:05:10 AM permalink
I went to the Alice Cooper show the other night. I am not of the Alice Cooper generation. When my friend, who I attended with, who is 20 years older than I, first mentioned it, I thought Alice Cooper was a female. But I have to say the show was interesting. There were a couple songs that I had heard before, I guess I just didn't know who sang them. 'School's out' for example. Who hasn't heard that one. They played it every year at the end of the school year. It was entertaining to see the 50 and 60 something crowd return to their rock and roll years. I must say the years haven't been too good to Mr Cooper. It looks as though he has had a hard life, like he had a rough paper route as the saying goes. lol Undoubtibly the rock and roll lifestyle took it's toll on his body.
tupp
tupp
  • Threads: 3
December 3rd, 2012 at 11:49:42 AM permalink
I was never a huge fan of Alice Cooper, but I have to admit that he (and his original band from which he adopted his name) is talented. Some of his ballads are nice.

Quote: kewlj

I must say the years haven't been too good to Mr Cooper. It looks as though he has had a hard life, like he had a rough paper route as the saying goes. lol Undoubtibly the rock and roll lifestyle took it's toll on his body.

Some people just age differently. I always got the impression that the "rock and roll lifestyle" for him is just a stage persona. Among other things, he's a golfing celebrity, an actor and he is very intelligent, sociable and witty in interviews.
MrV
MrV
  • Threads: 364
December 3rd, 2012 at 1:03:44 PM permalink
Alice, rka Vincent Furnier, looked old when he was in his twenties.

Ridden hard and put away wet ...
"What, me worry?"
tupp
tupp
  • Threads: 3
December 3rd, 2012 at 1:21:08 PM permalink
Quote: MrV

Alice, rka Vincent Furnier, looked old when he was in his twenties.

Here is the cover of a 45 record that was released when he was around 29 years old.
TIMSPEED
TIMSPEED
  • Threads: 89
December 3rd, 2012 at 1:48:36 PM permalink
He's just not blessed with looks...
But yes, the "Alice Cooper" is a stage persona...
He's actually really intelligent and a big car buff...
Shoot, I mean, he's like 60 and still rich as hell and rockin hard...
Gambling calls to me...like this ~> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Nap37mNSmQ
terapined
terapined
December 3rd, 2012 at 5:33:29 PM permalink
An interesting thing Alice Cooper had done lately with Schools Out on recent tour. In the middle of the song he transitions into Pink Floyds Another Brick in the Wall pt 2 riff and chorus "We dont need no education" then transitions back into end of Schools out. Alot of fun to hear.
98Clubs
98Clubs
  • Threads: 52
December 3rd, 2012 at 5:35:26 PM permalink
"Alice" was the Marylyn Manson of the 70's discovered by none other than Frank Zappa (Straight Records). His concerts were outrageous in the day, OZZIE would be proud, biting off chicken heads, chasing a rotton tooth around stage with a toothbrush, having his head lopped off and whatnot. He is an ex-alcoholic, and has been treated twice that I know of. I've been to his concerts locally, as the band is from Stamford/Greenwich, CT... quite the recording mansion he had in those days... yes a Greenwich mansion as studio. I'd say he was pretty much Halloween 365 days a year as stage act. Most people don't know that he's an avid golfer, with a scratch to +2 during earier times. Today, he also has a syndicated rock-radio show weekly, a FM station nearby carries it, and I do tune in a bit.

He rocked hard and it shows. I think "Poison" was his last real release dating to 89-90, though he might have done remix/rerelease since. He's one of several rock artists I have on 3" CD... the original incantation.

From my own knowledege/experiences ( I met/ talked with band member Neil Smith in the late 70's).
Some people need to reimagine their thinking.
98Clubs
98Clubs
December 3rd, 2012 at 5:44:49 PM permalink
Perhaps his engineers and producers from the old days are on tour also, they also did the work on the stage act for "The Wall". Milt Kamen is one of the two. (EDIT: after look-up... Bob Ezrin) That change-over as mentioned has some roots in Alice Cooper. Check the credits on the CD of The Wall, and just about any A.C. CD.
JohnnyQ
JohnnyQ
  • Threads: 262
December 3rd, 2012 at 6:14:01 PM permalink
Speaking of older acts still touring around, I think it
can be pretty fun to see them, IF the some or all of
the original musicians are still there.

For example, I've seen Blue Oyster Cult in a very
small "cabaret" like setting, complete with Vegas
style booths and waitresses. And still with pretty
much the original talent (over the years I think
there was some turnover).

Their best songs, in my opinion, are definitely
NOT the ones that ended up on FM radio most
often, ie GODZILLA and DON'T FEAR THE REAPER.
But gotta love ETI.
There's emptiness behind their eyes There's dust in all their hearts They just want to steal us all and take us all apart
terapined
terapined
December 3rd, 2012 at 6:42:12 PM permalink
Speaking of old acts, I was walking thru the Blioxi Hard Rock several months ago and saw posters for upcoming acts and saw Tommy James and the Shondells. Thats a blast from the far past.
98Clubs
98Clubs
December 3rd, 2012 at 6:48:05 PM permalink
Thats interesting... ETI and Christina fit right in with A.C. thread here. Just alot more subtle, shall we say. The FM stuff lives on, as it should, same with Alice Cooper stuff. IMHO these two make up a part of the landscape that is R&R, both in the same "corner". Makes me miss Vincent Price for some reason ;o)
  • Jump to: