Thread Rating:

AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 228
October 5th, 2021 at 1:06:00 PM permalink
Quote: rxwine

Remember when you saw parents with their kids on leashes out in public? Does anyone still see it?

I don't know why it went away. Maybe other people shamed those doing it into thinking it was child abuse. Maybe they were hanging themselves, but I think those were chest collars, not neck collars.

IMO, It's child abuse to let your unruly kids run around.

And today, there was a little kid screaming so loud I could hear him clearly even though there were at least 6 aisles in the grocery store between us. And it went on for 10 minutes. This is why I think there should also be sound muffling hoods to put over their heads.

• link to original post

Leashes were a good idea, can't say I saw a ton in the day though.

I remember once at Ponderosa (my dad liked it) some little black kid was just making noise. His mother (no dad) was just sitting there as if he was doing nothing. Some guy finally screamed HEY to get him to knock it off which he did. Then some other guy got on him as he thought he was talking to HIS kid.

I should have bought desert for the guy who yelled at the kid. Could not believe a mother would allow it. Can't believe a manager did not tell her to shut the kid up.
    All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
    lilredrooster
    lilredrooster
    • Threads: 188
    October 26th, 2021 at 3:15:28 PM permalink

the A&P Grocery stores______________at their peak - in the 1930s - they were the largest retailer in the world - they had $2.9 billion in yearly sales - roughly equal to $ 45 billion in today's dollars__________they had 16,000 stores

their decline began in the 50s but they were still a giant thru the 70s

I had a job in wholesale sales and I sold products to their stores

it's really strange to think that they don't exist anymore - it almost seems that except for my memory of them they really didn't exist - not true of course

but it's weird to think that young people today don't even know who the A&P was

here we go: The Great Atlantic & Pacific Tea Company

Last edited by: lilredrooster on Oct 26, 2021
    "𝘣𝘦𝘭𝘪𝘦𝘷𝘦 𝘩𝘢𝘭𝘧 𝘰𝘧 𝘸𝘩𝘢𝘵 𝘺𝘰𝘶 𝘴𝘦𝘦 𝘢𝘯𝘥 𝘯𝘰𝘯𝘦 𝘰𝘧 𝘸𝘩𝘢𝘵 𝘺𝘰𝘶 𝘩𝘦𝘢𝘳"______Edgar Allan Poe
    ThatDonGuy
    ThatDonGuy
    • Threads: 106
    October 26th, 2021 at 3:21:57 PM permalink
    Quote: rxwine

Remember when you saw parents with their kids on leashes out in public? Does anyone still see it?

Reminds me of something I saw in Bart Simpson's Guide to Life: parents who put their kids on leashes and yell "SIT!" and "STAY!" while they dress up their pets in human clothes and hold them in their arms while they call them things like "snookie-wookums."
    Dieter
    Administrator
    Dieter
    • Threads: 8
    October 26th, 2021 at 5:17:16 PM permalink
    Quote: AZDuffman

Leashes were a good idea, can't say I saw a ton in the day though.
    link to original post

These days, they're usually integrated into a cute backpack.

There are probably safety breakaways on the leashes, and an additional proximity alarm available if the toddler gets more than 28 feet from the handler.
    May the cards fall in your favor.
    AZDuffman
    AZDuffman
    October 27th, 2021 at 4:16:33 AM permalink
    Quote: lilredrooster

the A&P Grocery stores______________at their peak - in the 1930s - they were the largest retailer in the world - they had $2.9 billion in yearly sales - roughly equal to $ 45 billion in today's dollars__________they had 16,000 stores

their decline began in the 50s but they were still a giant thru the 70s

I had a job in wholesale sales and I sold products to their stores

it's really strange to think that they don't exist anymore - it almost seems that except for my memory of them they really didn't exist - not true of course

but it's weird to think that young people today don't even know who the A&P was

here we go: The Great Atlantic & Pacific Tea Company

Their fall is an interesting business study. IIRC what started it was losing a CEO who had no good succession plan. People complain about CEO compensation, but the job requires real leadership and vision. The 16000 store count can be misleading as 10000 square feet was big then. Stores were blocks from each other, not yet "supermarkets."

What really did the in is they what I call "caught the best of the previous wave." IOW, they got things down cold but right when tech or the market changed everything. This happened with equipment where I once worked. But that was just a truck. This was the company. All those stores were about to be a liability as the market changed. Their private labels would be old school as people went to national brands. Strangely things are now going back to private labels. They had to close all those old stores and build bigger, new stores. Managers had to learn to work in bigger stores. It took 50 years for the collapse to be complete.

It is why I always told people do not fear Wal-Mart. In the 2000s I told people that WMT was then at their peak of power and things would start to change. As we have seen, it has started to happen. WMT will be with us for at least a generation but they do not have the stgranglehold they did in the 2000s.
    lilredrooster
    lilredrooster
    November 11th, 2021 at 2:43:35 AM permalink
    _________

Ledo Pizza is a chain restaurant only in the Maryland
    it's pizza is very good IMO - and it is very competitive in the pizza wars

but it's not quite as good as the original Ledo Pizza - in Adelphi, MD very close to U. of MD - I think because the original pizza joint had higher grade ovens

it opened in 1955 -

I don't know about that far back - but this is the amazing thing

in the 70s on a weekend - ​THERE WAS A LINE A WHOLE BLOCK LONG TO GET INTO THE JOINT - maybe 35 people would wait in the line for more than an hour EVEN IN FREEZING COLD WEATHER to get in - and the joint itself had about 25 tables - there was a separate but also very long line just to order carry out - you even had to wait in line just to pick up your carryout if you phoned in the order

I've never seen anything like that from any other restaurant - the closest I've ever seen is a short line to get into Cheesecake - not that close

of course, back then there weren't a great many pizza joints as there are now - but still - it was really something

AZDuffman
    AZDuffman
    November 11th, 2021 at 3:09:18 AM permalink

_________

Ledo Pizza is a chain restaurant only in the Maryland
    it's pizza is very good IMO - and it is very competitive in the pizza wars

but it's not quite as good as the original Ledo Pizza - in Adelphi, MD very close to U. of MD - I think because the original pizza joint had higher grade ovens

it opened in 1955 -

I don't know about that far back - but this is the amazing thing

in the 70s on a weekend - ​THERE WAS A LINE A WHOLE BLOCK LONG TO GET INTO THE JOINT - maybe 35 people would wait in the line for more than an hour EVEN IN FREEZING COLD WEATHER to get in - and the joint itself had about 25 tables - there was a separate but also very long line just to order carry out - you even had to wait in line just to pick up your carryout if you phoned in the order

I've never seen anything like that from any other restaurant - the closest I've ever seen is a short line to get into Cheesecake - not that close

of course, back then there weren't a great many pizza joints as there are now - but still - it was really something

link to original post

Not that long of lines, but there was usually a line at Pizza Hut when I was a kid. There were way more restaurant lines then because there were fewer restaurants in the 70s. In the late 1990s I took my parents to Dinosaur BBQ and it was over an hour of a line. They thought I was nuts. That place was always busy.
    billryan
    billryan
    • Threads: 202
    November 11th, 2021 at 5:38:40 AM permalink
    There is a pizza place under the Brooklyn bridge that routinely has an hour-long wait. It's almost all tourists and there is a place around the corner that is far superior and much cheaper. It just hasn't been featured on Sex in the City.
    The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
    lilredrooster
    lilredrooster
    November 11th, 2021 at 5:40:36 AM permalink

MLB players were really hot for chewing (chawin') tobacco

the commercial said "jus' put a pinch between your teeth and gums"

age 12 I went to a baseball camp run by 2 brothers who were scrub major leaguers

they used the junk - I asked them to let me try it - they let me

it was some kind of horrible

AZDuffman
    AZDuffman
    November 11th, 2021 at 5:50:34 AM permalink

MLB players were really hot for chewing (chawin') tobacco

the commercial said "jus' put a pinch between your teeth and gums"

age 12 I went to a baseball camp run by 2 brothers who were scrub major leaguers

they used the junk - I asked them to let me try it - they let me

it was some kind of horrible

link to original post

When I was in high school that stuff was big and they were just starting to really warn kids not to do it. I did not need warned, I found it to be a totally disgusting habit and still do.

• Jump to: