Thread Rating:

AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 228
September 24th, 2021 at 2:56:24 AM permalink
Quote: billryan

I recently attended a sales pitch for an automatic pizza machine. You supposedly can order via internet and the machine adds your toppings, cooks the pie in under two minutes, slices it( 8 or 16), boxes it and puts it in a warming dish that the buyer gets a code to access. The company thinks it can be the next Redbox. I was interested until they couldn't answer a few basic questions, and the ptch got very aggressive.

• link to original post

Sounds like a case if "Just because you can does not mean you should."

Why would I order pizza from a vending machine online when there is probably a choice of pizza places that will make a better pie? I can see the novelty, I can see it maybe making it in Japan where they are nuts for vending machines. But there is no way it will be much different than making a frozen pizza from the store.
    All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
    rxwine
    rxwine
    • Threads: 173
    September 24th, 2021 at 6:47:52 AM permalink
    The door to door vacuum sales could return some day. Except it will be a Roomba outside.
    Everything is in high definition today except Bigfoot and UFOs
    billryan
    billryan
    • Threads: 202
    September 24th, 2021 at 8:30:07 AM permalink
    Quote: AZDuffman

I recently attended a sales pitch for an automatic pizza machine. You supposedly can order via internet and the machine adds your toppings, cooks the pie in under two minutes, slices it( 8 or 16), boxes it and puts it in a warming dish that the buyer gets a code to access. The company thinks it can be the next Redbox. I was interested until they couldn't answer a few basic questions, and the ptch got very aggressive.

• link to original post

Why would I order pizza from a vending machine online when there is probably a choice of pizza places that will make a better pie? I can see the novelty, I can see it maybe making it in Japan where they are nuts for vending machines. But there is no way it will be much different than making a frozen pizza from the store.
  • link to original post

The dough and the ingredients aren't frozen and the pizza was fairly good. It's also available 24 hours a day, seven days a week. You can also place them in places like Little League fields, airports, hospital waiting rooms, college dorms,bowling alleys, movies etc, etc.
    I attended because I thought it was an idea with some legs but the people making the pitch didn't close the deal.
    In my town of Bisbee, as an example- there are 12 or 13 bars, but no place to eat after around 11PM. As most of the bars are located in the two block area of Brewery Gulch, I think a machine would do very well on that street. On Long Island, one in a parking lot of a train station could do well. Obviously that depends on the pie being more than some sauce on a piece of cardboard.
    The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
    gamerfreak
    gamerfreak
    • Threads: 51
    September 24th, 2021 at 9:02:16 AM permalink

Quote: AZDuffman

• link to original post

• link to original post

The dough and the ingredients aren't frozen and the pizza was fairly good. It's also available 24 hours a day, seven days a week. You can also place them in places like Little League fields, airports, hospital waiting rooms, college dorms,bowling alleys, movies etc, etc.
    I attended because I thought it was an idea with some legs but the people making the pitch didn't close the deal.
    In my town of Bisbee, as an example- there are 12 or 13 bars, but no place to eat after around 11PM. As most of the bars are located in the two block area of Brewery Gulch, I think a machine would do very well on that street. On Long Island, one in a parking lot of a train station could do well. Obviously that depends on the pie being more than some sauce on a piece of cardboard.
  • link to original post

I donít hate the concept, and I really like vending machines. But I donít think itís something Iíd ever invest in.

How long does it take to get your pizza after you order? Can it handle multiple orders at the same time? I canít see it doing well in airports, malls, or train stations. However I could see it working in large hotels or large apartment complexes/dorms.

There is one Redbox, they have that dwindling market cornered. Yet a quick Google search shows at least 5 companies trying to sell these machines. But has anyone here even seen one of these in the wild?

I also imagine they are a nightmare to maintain with frequent downtime.
    billryan
    billryan
    • Threads: 202
    September 24th, 2021 at 9:11:49 AM permalink
    It takes about two-three minutes from the order to the finished product unless there are multiple orders. I asked what happens when the slots are full and no one picks up. They didn't have an answer to that.
    I think they would do real well at train stations, both for people getting on the train to eat on it and people getting off to take home with them.
    I do think it can be successful, I'm just not sure this was the right company to do it. If they are right, they expect to place 3,000 machines in the next few years. I hope it works out, but it wasn't for me.
    The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
    EvenBob
    EvenBob
    • Threads: 434
    September 26th, 2021 at 1:26:34 AM permalink
    When we moved to the country in 1960 this was our phone for the first year. A candlestick dial phone. We thought nothing about it.

"It's not enough to succeed, your friends must fail." Gore Vidal
    Dieter
    Administrator
    Dieter
    • Threads: 8
    September 26th, 2021 at 3:42:46 PM permalink
    Just heard "Macarena" on the oldies station.

(sigh)
    May the cards fall in your favor.
    EvenBob
    EvenBob
    • Threads: 434
    October 3rd, 2021 at 4:41:24 PM permalink
    Remember when 'back in the day' meant 30 or 40 years ago? Now it seems to mean anything that happened before 2015. The phrase has become almost meaningless.
    "It's not enough to succeed, your friends must fail." Gore Vidal
    gordonm888
    Administrator
    gordonm888
    • Threads: 50
    Thanks for this post from:
    Dieter
    October 3rd, 2021 at 4:48:23 PM permalink
    Quote: EvenBob

Remember when 'back in the day' meant 30 or 40 years ago? Now it seems to mean anything that happened before 2015. The phrase has become almost meaningless.

• link to original post

This post of yours is so 5 minutes ago.
    So many better men, a few of them friends, are dead. And a thousand thousand slimy things live on, and so do I.
    rxwine
    rxwine
    • Threads: 173
    October 5th, 2021 at 1:01:56 PM permalink
    Remember when you saw parents with their kids on leashes out in public? Does anyone still see it?

I don't know why it went away. Maybe other people shamed those doing it into thinking it was child abuse. Maybe they were hanging themselves, but I think those were chest collars, not neck collars.

IMO, It's child abuse to let your unruly kids run around.

And today, there was a little kid screaming so loud I could hear him clearly even though there were at least 6 aisles in the grocery store between us. And it went on for 10 minutes. This is why I think there should also be sound muffling hoods to put over their heads.
    Everything is in high definition today except Bigfoot and UFOs

• Jump to: