Thread Rating:

billryan
billryan
Joined: Nov 2, 2009
  • Threads: 202
  • Posts: 12037
September 18th, 2021 at 10:33:54 AM permalink
My parents were big on charge cards that you paid off every month but didn't believe in credit cards. My Dad believed a man should owe the bank for his mortgage and nothing else. We had a credit account at the corner deli in case my mom sent us for milk or something we ran out of, but it was paid in full every Friday.
I don't believe my mom got her first credit card until the early to mid-1980s. Back then you could write off credit card interest and I remember her friend saying how they had saved hundreds in taxes by deducting the interest and my mom saying they could have saved more by simply not paying interest.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
EvenBob
EvenBob
Joined: Jul 18, 2010
  • Threads: 434
  • Posts: 25333
September 18th, 2021 at 12:46:39 PM permalink
Quote: billryan

My parents were big on charge cards that you paid off every month but didn't believe in credit cards. ]



My wife is fanatical about paying off her credit card balances every month. Her credit rating is the best you can get whatever that is now she can't get a better one. She used to have credit lines on her cards that were unreal. $30,000 to $50,000 but that all went away after 2008 and the big crash. They immediately cut her credit lines down to under $5,000 and she was pissed. Even though she never used them she took it as a personal insult. I don't think my wife is capable of carrying a balance on a credit card, she wouldn't be able to sleep at night. A few years ago she had to get qualified for something and the guy doing it did a double-take on her credit number. He said he'd never seen one that high. My wife still talks about it it was like a highlight of her life.
"It's not enough to succeed, your friends must fail." Gore Vidal
rxwine
rxwine
Joined: Feb 28, 2010
  • Threads: 173
  • Posts: 10367
September 18th, 2021 at 12:53:17 PM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

Pocket protectors were no joke, up until the early 60s we used fountain pens that needed to be refilled with real ink. When I was in grade school we didn't have ballpoint pens yet and fountain pens were a giant pain in the butt and they leaked all the time. Right around 1960 or 61 Bic put out a really cheap ballpoint pen and everybody had one. They were like ten pens for $0.39. They still make them and they look exactly the same and sell millions of them a year.



I remember seeing the inkwell holes in school desks even though we didn't use them. In fact, I bet most schools kept using them for years until the desks wore out.
Everything is in high definition today except Bigfoot and UFOs
billryan
billryan
Joined: Nov 2, 2009
  • Threads: 202
  • Posts: 12037
September 18th, 2021 at 1:25:27 PM permalink
I had a few classrooms that had them. Those desks were indestructible.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
Marcusclark66
Marcusclark66
Joined: Mar 26, 2020
  • Threads: 23
  • Posts: 852
September 18th, 2021 at 1:28:46 PM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

My wife is fanatical about paying off her credit card balances every month. Her credit rating is the best you can get whatever that is now she can't get a better one. She used to have credit lines on her cards that were unreal. $30,000 to $50,000 but that all went away after 2008 and the big crash. They immediately cut her credit lines down to under $5,000 and she was pissed. Even though she never used them she took it as a personal insult. I don't think my wife is capable of carrying a balance on a credit card, she wouldn't be able to sleep at night. A few years ago she had to get qualified for something and the guy doing it did a double-take on her credit number. He said he'd never seen one that high. My wife still talks about it it was like a highlight of her life.

  • link to original post



    So she actually has a score that she is privy to alone?

    Only her?

    Wow! Impressive.
    Marcus Clark. Real Person; AKA MarcusClark66. *Professional Casino Security Expert. *Certified EMT *Certified Company Firearms Instructor. *Certified Gaming Regulations Interpreter for Corporate Applications. *Domestic UrbanTactical Combat Casualty Expert. *Tic-Tac-Toe Expert (Real Competitive Versions) & Mastering Chess. *Honorary & Official #1 Fan of the MDawg Adventures Club. *Mastering Cracking it. Bit-by-Bit, Piece-by-Piece Crediting Forum Members. *Certified Casino Property Entry & Exit Point Analyzer *Baccarat Winning Session Record: 12 out of 12 & 1 out of 1 Mini Session. Baccarat Losing Session Record: 2 Losing Sessions.
    billryan
    billryan
    Joined: Nov 2, 2009
    • Threads: 202
    • Posts: 12037
    September 18th, 2021 at 2:04:20 PM permalink
    Millions of people have a perfect score of 850. A lot of people consider 810 to be perfect because the difference in your creditworthiness is so small. Since 810 will qualify you for the lowest rates in 99.9% of the cases, 810 is the score you should really work towards. After that, it is adding cherries to the top of the cherries. Tens of millions of people have scores of 810 or more.
    The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
    billryan
    billryan
    Joined: Nov 2, 2009
    • Threads: 202
    • Posts: 12037
    September 18th, 2021 at 2:09:54 PM permalink
    I just celebrated my 1st Anniversary with a new card. They rewarded me by jumping my credit limit from $3,000 to $13,000. When I called to tell them I didn't want the increase, they seemed surprised. It was as if I was turning down free money.
    The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
    DRich
    DRich
    Joined: Jul 6, 2012
    • Threads: 79
    • Posts: 8111
    September 18th, 2021 at 2:55:04 PM permalink
    Quote: EvenBob

    My wife is fanatical about paying off her credit card balances every month. Her credit rating is the best you can get whatever that is now she can't get a better one. She used to have credit lines on her cards that were unreal. $30,000 to $50,000 but that all went away after 2008 and the big crash. They immediately cut her credit lines down to under $5,000 and she was pissed. Even though she never used them she took it as a personal insult. I don't think my wife is capable of carrying a balance on a credit card, she wouldn't be able to sleep at night. A few years ago she had to get qualified for something and the guy doing it did a double-take on her credit number. He said he'd never seen one that high. My wife still talks about it it was like a highlight of her life.

  • link to original post



    At one point in my life I signed up for every credit card that gave something away without an annual fee. I still have most of the cards in my safe and 99% went unused. At one point I had over $500,000 in credit available on those cards. I only have about 10 active cards today but mainly just use my Amex.
    Order from chaos
    EvenBob
    EvenBob
    Joined: Jul 18, 2010
    • Threads: 434
    • Posts: 25333
    September 18th, 2021 at 4:20:03 PM permalink
    Quote: Marcusclark66



    So she actually has a score that she is privy to alone?



    What are you talking about. Nobody has private scores.
    "It's not enough to succeed, your friends must fail." Gore Vidal
    EvenBob
    EvenBob
    Joined: Jul 18, 2010
    • Threads: 434
    • Posts: 25333
    September 18th, 2021 at 4:27:06 PM permalink
    Quote: billryan

    Millions of people have a perfect score of 850.

  • link to original post




    "Credit scoring company FICO says about 1% of its scores reach 850. VantageScore spokesman Jeff Richardson says fewer than 1% of its credit scores are perfect"

    190 million Americans have credit cards. 1% of that would be 1.9 million. This will make my wife very happy that she's in the 1%. And the rest of us are not.
    "It's not enough to succeed, your friends must fail." Gore Vidal

    • Jump to: