Thread Rating:

lilredrooster
lilredrooster
  • Threads: 169
April 20th, 2021 at 5:29:20 AM permalink

wins my vote for the greatest commercials of all time - NYC dude for sure
"Crazy" Eddie Antar was later jailed for fraud

𝘣𝘦𝘭𝘪𝘦𝘷𝘦 𝘰𝘯𝘭𝘺 𝘩𝘢𝘭𝘧 𝘰𝘧 𝘸𝘩𝘢𝘵 𝘺𝘰𝘶 𝘴𝘦𝘦 𝘢𝘯𝘥 𝘯𝘰𝘵𝘩𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘵𝘩𝘢𝘵 𝘺𝘰𝘶 𝘩𝘦𝘢𝘳.........𝖤𝖽𝗀𝖺𝗋 𝖠𝗅𝗅𝖺𝗇 𝖯𝗈𝖾
zippyboy
zippyboy
  • Threads: 2
April 20th, 2021 at 7:23:36 AM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

Remember when we paid every bill with a check. There were no debit cards, there was no direct deposit, there was no electronic payments. If you paid a bill, you wrote a check, stuck it in an envelope and put a stamp on it. I haven't mailed a letter in over 10 years. I have no idea what postage is now. I suspect .60 or $0.65. If you're under the age of 25 chances are you've never written a check in your life and probably never will.

I write exactly one check a year, $880 for a year's worth for my storage unit. That place is so antiquated they don't take debit cards.

On a side note, I read recently that babies born today may never need to learn how to drive. By the time they're 18 years old, we should all have self driving vehicles.
"Poker sure is an easy game to beat if you have the roll to keep rebuying."
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 427
April 21st, 2021 at 2:13:04 AM permalink
I remember when I was in 8th grade in 1962 something happened and my dad had to go to a loan shop downtown, Liberty Loan, and borrow $50 that he paid back $5 a week plus interest. Today this seems ludicrous, $50? In 1962 that was $450 in today's money. Still kind of a ridiculous amount of money to borrow, even today. But in 1962 you could buy a halfway decent used car for $50. That was the year my great-grandfather died, my dad's grandfather. He had to travel back east and I think the $50 paid for the airfare of flying to Delaware and back. $50 went a long way in 1962.
"It's not enough to succeed, your friends must fail." Gore Vidal
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
  • Threads: 169
April 21st, 2021 at 6:13:12 AM permalink

a must for every secretary and boss pre-computer

𝘣𝘦𝘭𝘪𝘦𝘷𝘦 𝘰𝘯𝘭𝘺 𝘩𝘢𝘭𝘧 𝘰𝘧 𝘸𝘩𝘢𝘵 𝘺𝘰𝘶 𝘴𝘦𝘦 𝘢𝘯𝘥 𝘯𝘰𝘵𝘩𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘵𝘩𝘢𝘵 𝘺𝘰𝘶 𝘩𝘦𝘢𝘳.........𝖤𝖽𝗀𝖺𝗋 𝖠𝗅𝗅𝖺𝗇 𝖯𝗈𝖾
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 167
April 21st, 2021 at 10:54:03 AM permalink
Quote: lilredrooster

"Thriller" was another good one from back in the day - hosted by Boris Karloff who got famous playing Frankenstein
this one features a hot 60s style babe as the cheating wife
the other link is to "Chiller" - yet another one that I used to waste time with as a kid

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWtht7XjvFE

Naked City was a really high quality production serial from around 1961.
Quasimodo? Does that name ring a bell?
MrV
MrV
  • Threads: 313
April 21st, 2021 at 11:16:04 AM permalink
When I started practicing law in 1980 my office did not have word processing equipment; my secretary had an IBM Selectric typewriter and used carbon paper.

No wonder she got pissed when I asked her to change something, she had to start over again and retype it.

Similarly, there used to be a court stenographer present during all on the record court proceedings, taking everything down in their shorthand and later typing it up for the record; now it is all on video.
"What, me worry?"
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 427
April 22nd, 2021 at 8:16:10 PM permalink
It's amazing that we used Edison's inefficient filament light bulbs for over 100 years before they came up with something better. My house was built 170 years ago and doesn't have enough windows. So I used to burn 15 watt bulbs 24/7 in five different places in the house. On the package it said the bulbs should burn 1500 hours. I started checking and they didn't even last 1000 hours. So every time I changed the bulbs I would write down the date keep the receipt and the packaging and when it burned out I sent everything to GE and without question they would send me a refund. 15 watt bulbs we're kind of expensive.. I did this for over a decade got bored with it so I stopped. These new LED bulbs are fantastic, I have yet to have one quit working. They are supposed to last year's. They never really stop working, they just get dimmer and dimmer until they're producing almost no light. I bought 20 of them at Walmart for under $5 which I'm now thinking might be a lifetime supply.
"It's not enough to succeed, your friends must fail." Gore Vidal

• Jump to: