Thread Rating:

lilredrooster
lilredrooster
  • Threads: 168
April 7th, 2021 at 4:14:04 PM permalink

Captain Kirk opens up his flip phone in the original series - 1966
at the time he was touring planet Zebula and he needed to call Spock back at the Starship Enterprise

𝘣𝘦𝘭𝘪𝘦𝘷𝘦 𝘰𝘯𝘭𝘺 𝘩𝘢𝘭𝘧 𝘰𝘧 𝘸𝘩𝘢𝘵 𝘺𝘰𝘶 𝘴𝘦𝘦 𝘢𝘯𝘥 𝘯𝘰𝘵𝘩𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘵𝘩𝘢𝘵 𝘺𝘰𝘶 𝘩𝘦𝘢𝘳.........𝖤𝖽𝗀𝖺𝗋 𝖠𝗅𝗅𝖺𝗇 𝖯𝗈𝖾
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
Thanks for this post from:
smoothgrh
April 13th, 2021 at 9:38:10 AM permalink

"Alfred Hitchcock Presents" - back in the day stuff - some of them were pretty good
this one is set in Vegas - Steve McQueen is offered a weird bet
Peter Lorre is really creepy
the girl is McQueen's real life first wife Neile
both vids combined are about 23 minutes long - pretty good IMO

𝘣𝘦𝘭𝘪𝘦𝘷𝘦 𝘰𝘯𝘭𝘺 𝘩𝘢𝘭𝘧 𝘰𝘧 𝘸𝘩𝘢𝘵 𝘺𝘰𝘶 𝘴𝘦𝘦 𝘢𝘯𝘥 𝘯𝘰𝘵𝘩𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘵𝘩𝘢𝘵 𝘺𝘰𝘶 𝘩𝘦𝘢𝘳.........𝖤𝖽𝗀𝖺𝗋 𝖠𝗅𝗅𝖺𝗇 𝖯𝗈𝖾
ChesterDog
ChesterDog
  • Threads: 7
April 13th, 2021 at 12:28:08 PM permalink
Quote: lilredrooster

"Alfred Hitchcock Presents" - back in the day stuff - some of them were pretty good
this one is set in Vegas - Steve McQueen is offered a weird bet
Peter Lorre is really creepy
the girl is McQueen's real life first wife Neile
both vids combined are about 23 minutes long - pretty good IMO

Thanks for that link! I 'remember when' my mother told me the plot of that show. It might have been January 4, 1960, which was the morning after the show first aired.
smoothgrh
smoothgrh
  • Threads: 66
April 13th, 2021 at 6:02:35 PM permalink
Wow, thanks for that Alfred Hitchcock video. I'd watched most of his films but never took the time for his television series.

Love the atmosphere and quiet sophistication of the times.

Did anyone else notice a couple things? The lighter twice doesn't ignite before the wager begins. Steve McQueen refers to Neile, but at no point do they introduce themselves by name.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
Thanks for this post from:
smoothgrh
April 14th, 2021 at 4:18:33 AM permalink
Quote: smoothgrh

Love the atmosphere and quiet sophistication of the times.

part of the appeal of this back in the day stuff is the charming, and expressive way that they handle their cigarettes

EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 427
April 14th, 2021 at 10:44:02 AM permalink
Remember when we paid every bill with a check. There were no debit cards, there was no direct deposit, there was no electronic payments. If you paid a bill, you wrote a check, stuck it in an envelope and put a stamp on it. I haven't mailed a letter in over 10 years. I have no idea what postage is now. I suspect .60 or $0.65. If you're under the age of 25 chances are you've never written a check in your life and probably never will.
"It's not enough to succeed, your friends must fail." Gore Vidal
gamerfreak
gamerfreak
  • Threads: 49
April 14th, 2021 at 11:00:50 AM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

Remember when we paid every bill with a check. There were no debit cards, there was no direct deposit, there was no electronic payments. If you paid a bill, you wrote a check, stuck it in an envelope and put a stamp on it. I haven't mailed a letter in over 10 years. I have no idea what postage is now. I suspect .60 or $0.65. If you're under the age of 25 chances are you've never written a check in your life and probably never will.

My inlaws refuse to use any type of online banking because they are afraid of fraud.

Turns out you are much more susceptible to fraud doing things the old way. Their mail was stolen and someone forged the checks they sent out for CC payments.
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 427
April 14th, 2021 at 11:19:15 AM permalink

A few weeks ago a woman in the store in front of me wrote a check. I realized I hadn't seen this in years. She gave the check to the cashier, the cashier scanned it, and gave it back to the woman. What the heck. So I asked the cashier and she said when she scanned the check it automatically debited your bank account just like you were using a debit card and they don't need the check anymore. So what's the point of going through all that trouble when she could have just used her debit card. Long gone are the days of kiting checks, young people don't even know what that is probably.
"It's not enough to succeed, your friends must fail." Gore Vidal
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 75
April 14th, 2021 at 11:51:49 AM permalink

A few weeks ago a woman in the store in front of me wrote a check. I realized I hadn't seen this in years. She gave the check to the cashier, the cashier scanned it, and gave it back to the woman. What the heck. So I asked the cashier and she said when she scanned the check it automatically debited your bank account just like you were using a debit card and they don't need the check anymore. So what's the point of going through all that trouble when she could have just used her debit card. Long gone are the days of kiting checks, young people don't even know what that is probably.

My parents have never used a debit card or online banking. They still write checks for all of their bills and if they need cash money they go to the bank and stand in line.
Living longer does not always infer +EV
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
April 16th, 2021 at 2:27:26 AM permalink

"Thriller" was another good one from back in the day - hosted by Boris Karloff who got famous playing Frankenstein
this one features a hot 60s style babe as the cheating wife
the other link is to "Chiller" - yet another one that I used to waste time with as a kid

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWtht7XjvFE

• Jump to: