Thread Rating:

EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
June 2nd, 2024 at 3:19:41 PM permalink
Quote: lilredrooster

how many remember summers before air conditioning_____________?

I don't - although I lived thru it - but I was too young to remember it

but I do remember when movie theaters had big signs that read:

"Come in - it's cool inside"

that was a big selling point for movie theaters because as late as the mid 60s a great many people didn't have air conditioning in their residences

link to original post

We didn't get our first air conditioner till I was 20 years old in 1969. I paid $400 for it at Sears. This was tremendously expensive, $400 in 1969 is equivalent to 3,200 in today's money. The next year I bought my first color tv also from Sears another $400, another 3,200 in today's money. Now you can buy a color TV at Walmart for under $100. I remember when my neighbor who was a CPA, both him and his wife were CPAs, bought a color TV in 1961. I believe the only show that was in color was Bonanza and they paid $1,200 for it which I believe in today's money is like 12 or 13,000. They actually put the big box that said RCA Color TV on it out by the road for the garbage man a week before the garbage was picked up. Then they pulled it back into the garage and put it out again for another week so everybody in the entire neighborhood knew they bought a color TV. I thought this was weird at the time but later I read that this was common in those days. A color TV was a status symbol. Neighborhood kids including myself would gather outside their living room window and watch Bonanza on Sunday nights because nobody else had a color TV and it was wonderful.
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
  • Threads: 327
June 3rd, 2024 at 4:01:26 AM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

.... I believe the only show that was in color was Bonanza and they paid $1,200 for it which I believe in today's money is like 12 or 13,000. ... Neighborhood kids including myself would gather outside their living room window and watch Bonanza on Sunday nights because nobody else had a color TV and it was wonderful.
link to original post

I think Disney went color about the same time

I love this scene from the movie 'Diner' [1982]. Alas, you can't see it, it gets cut off somehow, but when the clerk shows the guy the Emerson TV a record player turntable plops down that was stored sideways [as I remember] ... I just love that!

the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!”   She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder
TigerWu
TigerWu
  • Threads: 26
June 3rd, 2024 at 8:30:14 AM permalink

link to original post

I'm young enough to have always had air-conditioned houses but I definitely remember being in cars that didn't have air conditioning.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 242
June 3rd, 2024 at 8:38:14 AM permalink
Quote: TigerWu

link to original post

I'm young enough to have always had air-conditioned houses but I definitely remember being in cars that didn't have air conditioning.
link to original post

You kids had it easy. Not only did we not have a/c hutvwechad to walk uphill to the store to get something cool to drink. Uphill always! Downhill was not even invented until I was about 11 or 12.
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
  • Threads: 233
June 4th, 2024 at 10:13:12 AM permalink
3 of my fave back in the day "pro" wrestlers

Andre the Giant - 7'4" - 520 pounds

Bruno Sammartino - Champion for a very, very long time

The Iron Sheik - he hated America (sure he did) - the Hulkster made him pay for that (sure he did)

the foolish sayings of a rich man often pass for words of wisdom by the fools around him
EvenBob
EvenBob
June 4th, 2024 at 11:08:30 AM permalink

The Iron Sheik - he hated America (sure he did) - the Hulkster made him pay for that (sure he did)

link to original post

Back in the '80s when I had the cab company there was some kind of professional wrestling tournament in the city and I gave three of these guys a ride from downtown out to their hotel by the airport. Professional wrestling had a big reputation in those days for being a bunch of fake BS but let me tell you, there was nothing fake about the actual guys. All three of them were huge and you could tell just by looking at any one of them these were truly tough SOB's.. They would beat the crap out of you just for looking at them the wrong way. It's one of the few times in my taxi that I was actually scared because they were taunting me and I kind of knew they were kidding but when guys like that taunt you it kind of makes your butthole pucker up. I had to go inside the hotel with them to get the voucher from the clerk and standing next to these guys was frightening because they were so gigantic.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
June 4th, 2024 at 11:54:06 AM permalink

IRAN, NUMBER ONE, RUSSIA, NUMBER ONE. CANADA, USA ACK PHOO!

link to original post

Last edited by: AZDuffman on Jun 4, 2024
smoothgrh
smoothgrh
  • Threads: 90
June 4th, 2024 at 2:09:52 PM permalink
I was a big fan of WWF in the mid-80s, and one day while I was watching Mr. Fuji's managerial antics on TV, my mom came by and casually mentioned that my grandma used to boo him when he was a wrestler. That blew my mind! These old guys were young at one time!
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
June 4th, 2024 at 4:23:30 PM permalink
Quote: smoothgrh

I was a big fan of WWF in the mid-80s, and one day while I was watching Mr. Fuji's managerial antics on TV, my mom came by and casually mentioned that my grandma used to boo him when he was a wrestler. That blew my mind! These old guys were young at one time!
link to original post

What I like is finding guys from the 80s doing interviews now. They pretty much tell all since no need to keep kayfabe up 40 years later. Ted DiBiase and Greg Valentine are two who are great. Maniacs back then they now talk intelligent. And sometimes you learn a few "whys" about things. For example, DiBiase said Virgil never wrestled much because he was not a good worker. He had the muscles, but that was only half of it back when it was still good. Yeah you had a few like Hogan who had muscles and mic skills but no ring skills, but in the end the guys who knew the business did better.
EvenBob
EvenBob
June 4th, 2024 at 5:59:39 PM permalink
Quote: EvenBob[/q

Back in the '80s when I had the cab company there was some kind of professional wrestling tournament in the city and I gave three of these guys a ride from downtown out to their hotel by the airport. Professional wrestling had a big reputation in those days for being a bunch of fake BS but let me tell you, there was nothing fake about the actual guys. All three of them were huge and you could tell just by looking at any one of them these were truly tough SOB's.. They would beat the crap out of you just for looking at them the wrong way. It's one of the few times in my taxi that I was actually scared because they were taunting me and I kind of knew they were kidding but when guys like that taunt you it kind of makes your butthole pucker up. I had to go inside the hotel with them to get the voucher from the clerk and standing next to these guys was frightening because they were so gigantic.
link to original post

Forgot to mention that once we got into the hotel all three of these guys headed straight into the bar. They didn't even discuss it which makes me believe this is what they always do.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
June 5th, 2024 at 3:07:00 AM permalink
𝙂𝙍𝙀𝘼𝙎𝙀𝙍𝙎_______________________50s and early 60s

the hair and the leather jackets were a sign that they were tough guys

and were they really tough_________?________yes they were__________for sure__________every last one of them__________:)

the guy sitting up high with the cig so cool hanging from his mouth - he's the leader of the pack - no doubt

funny to think that these guys - if they're alive - are all prolly in their 80s

the foolish sayings of a rich man often pass for words of wisdom by the fools around him
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
June 5th, 2024 at 3:09:56 AM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

Quote: EvenBob[/q

link to original post

Forgot to mention that once we got into the hotel all three of these guys headed straight into the bar. They didn't even discuss it which makes me believe this is what they always do.
link to original post

Some yeah and some probably no. In the end they were like normal people, each did his own thing.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
Thanked by
smoothgrh
June 5th, 2024 at 3:43:56 AM permalink
a few other pics of some great back in the day wrestlers

the Honky Tonk Man

Macho Man Randy Savage with Miss Elizabeth

and for smoothgrh - Mr. Fuji

it's funny when I think about it - of course I knew it was fake - but I could still get all worked up about the rivalries - that was the magic of it - prolly everybody or at least most viewers did to some extent

Last edited by: lilredrooster on Jun 5, 2024
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 213
June 5th, 2024 at 6:04:26 AM permalink
Anyone ever see the championship belts up close? Were they shiny aluminum?
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
June 5th, 2024 at 6:11:36 AM permalink
Quote: rxwine

link to original post

They were probably gold plated something. The Big Gold Belt required the NWA champion to put up $40,000 as a deposit on it. OTOH, some were smashed and such as part of an angle so not all were priceless.
TigerWu
TigerWu
June 5th, 2024 at 6:18:54 AM permalink

link to original post

This article talks about WWE belts. They're mostly made from leather and alloys like tin and aluminum and weigh 8-10 lbs. Some have gold plating and cubic zirconia accents. At least one back in the '80s had a few real diamonds in it, but that wasn't common at all. Real ones are worth $25,000 to $100,000, but that's mostly because of the cost of manufacture, rarity, and what they represent, and not because of the actual materials.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
June 5th, 2024 at 6:22:00 AM permalink
Quote: TigerWu

link to original post

This article talks about WWE belts. They're mostly made from leather and alloys like tin and aluminum and weigh 8-10 lbs. Some have gold plating and cubic zirconia accents. At least one back in the '80s had a few real diamonds in it, but that wasn't common at all. Real ones are worth $25,000 to $100,000, but that's mostly because of the cost of manufacture, rarity, and what they represent, and not because of the actual materials.
link to original post

To be fair nothing like that is cost of materials. Cost of materials is what Pawn Stars buys to melt.
rxwine
rxwine
June 5th, 2024 at 7:25:54 AM permalink
Me, I would like a autographed chair with a dent in it. And a photograph of the wrestler being hit over the head with it at the exact moment.

Priceless.

: )
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
EvenBob
EvenBob
June 5th, 2024 at 11:08:54 AM permalink

𝙂𝙍𝙀𝘼𝙎𝙀𝙍𝙎_______________________50s and early 60s

the hair and the leather jackets were a sign that they were tough guys

and were they really tough_________?________yes they were__________for sure__________every last one of them__________:)

the guy sitting up high with the cig so cool hanging from his mouth - he's the leader of the pack - no doubt

funny to think that these guys - if they're alive - are all prolly in their 80s

link to original post

I used to see guys like that at the roller rink in the late 50s in the bathroom. They would literally stand in a line with their leather jackets on and cigarettes hanging out of their mouth combing their hair. They never roller skated, they were just there to pick up girls. And they did too, they were the proverbial Bad Boys and women always love those types when they're young.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
June 5th, 2024 at 12:16:28 PM permalink
the Greasers thing made me remember 2 old songs

"Kookie Kookie Lend me Your Comb" - no leather jackets - maybe too much for network TV - last line "baby - you're the ginchiest" - as all the girls in the audience scream

and the other one "Leader of the Pack" - somebody just put a vid together with the music - Marlon Brando, from the movie "The Wild One" - leather jackets, gangs and all - the movie was from 1953 - the song - 1965

the movie was based on a real life 1947 motorcycle rally in CA that got out of hand and the story was featured in Life Magazine - see pic below songs

Last edited by: lilredrooster on Jun 5, 2024
EvenBob
EvenBob
Thanked by
odiousgambit
June 5th, 2024 at 11:44:26 PM permalink
Great 1966 GTO video from Jay Leno. This was the car to have in the mid 60s, I remember it very well. Scary to drive, it was so damn fast. Like Leno says the car culture in the United States was so overwhelming in those days you can't realize what it was like unless you were there. Everything was about cars, even half the songs on the radio were about cars. We hung out in our cars, we talked about cars, we could name every car on the road by make model and year because they changed every year. We had huge drag races on Saturday night out in the country where everybody was drinking beer and racing their cars on a public road and the cops never came, not even once. And this was every Saturday night in the summer for at least 3 years 1966 to 1969.

lilredrooster
lilredrooster
June 6th, 2024 at 3:37:56 AM permalink
I owned a VW bug (beetle) - red - with a sun roof
obviously I wasn't into the macho thing
I had a ton of fun with that car

I was hippyish and I put flower decals on the sides of it____________:)

it got all beat up - dented - and I didn't care

I didn't have $ at the time - iirc it got about 40 m.p.g. highway______________what a trip it was

rxwine
rxwine
June 6th, 2024 at 6:59:56 AM permalink
oh yeah, remember trying "sleeper" holds on friends and family? Obviously "choke" holds are real as demonstrated by MMA and occasionally police evidence videos.

Never actually got one to work though, which is probably a good thing.

(pretty sure I was just squeezing the skull at the time> Would have needed an elephant's strength to damage something_)
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
June 6th, 2024 at 7:27:40 AM permalink
I heard some WWE guy say one time -

"the fake stuff hurts like hell"

and I believe it - the stunts they did and do are truly amazing

DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 86
June 6th, 2024 at 3:49:59 PM permalink

I owned a VW bug (beetle) - red - with a sun roof
obviously I wasn't into the macho thing
I had a ton of fun with that car

I was hippyish and I put flower decals on the sides of it____________:)

it got all beat up - dented - and I didn't care

I didn't have $ at the time - iirc it got about 40 m.p.g. highway______________what a trip it was

link to original post

I would rather have and drive that Beetle over any "muscle car".
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
June 7th, 2024 at 10:48:28 AM permalink
when I was a little kid the biggest thrill in my life was when I had enough pocket change to buy a few packs of baseball cards
the bubble gum in the back of the pack was SO delicious
and then the great questions would soon be answered -

would I get a Mickey Mantle_____?_______would I get a Willie Mays_________?____________would I get a Sandy Koufax________?

Oh, man - looky here - I JUST GOT A ROGER MARIS

then we'd go out and flip them against our buddies - gambling - but you didn't flip some cards - you kept them - they were just too, too valuable_________:)

as of September 2022, Sports Card Pro estimated the value of a Mickey Mantle rookie card in mint condition to be _____________$433,540

like many - my Mom threw my cards away when I got older - she thought they were just junk

flipping - a leaner won unless there was another leaner - then, the highest leaner won

TigerWu
TigerWu
June 7th, 2024 at 11:01:24 AM permalink
I still have all of my old baseball cards from the 1980s but that's from the era when they weren't really worth anything anymore with the exception of a handful of rookie cards. I think have one card that's worth maybe $5 or $6 but other than that they're all practically worthless....LOL...maybe a few cents each.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
June 7th, 2024 at 11:13:21 AM permalink
the career of Roger Maris was quite unusual and I would say almost mysterious
his lifetime batting average was only .260 which is really only average
one year he hit only .225 and another year .235 and one year .233 which is pretty bad actually
1961 the year he set the record with 61 homers beating out his teammate Mickey Mantle who hit 54 he batted only .269
the next year he hit only 33 homers and his totals were way down every year after that - he never hit more than 39 except for 1961
his career slugging % was .476 way, way less than Mantle and Mays

maybe the pressure got to him - that's what I would guess

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/m/marisro01.shtml

AZDuffman
AZDuffman
June 12th, 2024 at 3:12:37 AM permalink

Quote: AZDuffman

Remember Pamela Smart? One of the first televised spectacle trials. She slept with her high school students and got them to kill her husband. At the time her being attractive did not win her many fans at trial.

Today she looks haggared and beaten up from spending more than half her life in prison. She was even shipped to the NYS system who can better handle celebrity inmates. I recently watched an interview from a couple years back and she is really a person you would not want to be around.

link to original post

My guess is women murderers prefer poison, or hiring someone to kill the person. But I wonder if that’s actually the case. I know they tend to use a gun if it’s just domestic violence, but that’s self-defense.
link to original post

She's back in the news!

Pamela Smart says in prison video why her 'warped logic' is wrong as she takes ownership of husband's murder

She seems to be trying to get a pardon, not her first attempt.
  • Jump to: