Thread Rating:

unJon
unJon
  • Threads: 13
September 28th, 2020 at 3:18:25 PM permalink
Quote: billryan

Compared to the modern day crooks who sell poison to our kids and extort hard working citizens, maybe those bank robbers were heroes.

Nope. Theyíre both crooks. A crook doesnít become a hero because Billryan found a worse crook. Though I get why some like to make things sound simple an black and white.
The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong; but that is the way to bet.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
  • Threads: 155
September 28th, 2020 at 3:24:55 PM permalink
story about the tremendous support for John Gotti from NYC's Italian American community at the time of his trial:

https://www.nytimes.com/1992/06/24/nyregion/for-gotti-s-supporters-disbelief-and-anger.html
𝘱𝘢𝘵𝘳𝘪𝘰𝘵: 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘱𝘦𝘳𝘴𝘰𝘯 𝘸𝘩𝘰 𝘤𝘢𝘯 𝘩𝘰𝘭𝘭𝘦𝘳 𝘭𝘰𝘶𝘥𝘦𝘴𝘵 𝘸𝘪𝘵𝘩𝘰𝘶𝘵 𝘬𝘯𝘰𝘸𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘸𝘩𝘢𝘵 𝘩𝘦 𝘪𝘴 𝘩𝘰𝘭𝘭𝘦𝘳𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘢𝘣𝘰𝘶𝘵............. ᴍᴀʀᴋ ᴛᴡᴀɪɴ
billryan
billryan 
  • Threads: 175
September 28th, 2020 at 3:48:06 PM permalink
Quote: lilredrooster

story about the tremendous support for John Gotti from NYC's Italian American community at the time of his trial:

https://www.nytimes.com/1992/06/24/nyregion/for-gotti-s-supporters-disbelief-and-anger.html

Gotti's crew paid hundreds of young wannabes to "demonstrate". I wouldn't read that as tremendous support from the Italian community. Compare a dozen busloads of demonstrators to the hundred thousand Haitians who protested not being able to donate blood around the same time.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
  • Threads: 155
September 28th, 2020 at 4:04:40 PM permalink

Gotti's crew paid hundreds of young wannabes to "demonstrate".

how is it that you were able to uncover that information but the NY Times couldn't?
I googled and found nothing about that
what is your source?

did you pal around in Little Italy with the Underboss, Sammy the Bull .....................................(-:\
Last edited by: lilredrooster on Sep 28, 2020
𝘱𝘢𝘵𝘳𝘪𝘰𝘵: 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘱𝘦𝘳𝘴𝘰𝘯 𝘸𝘩𝘰 𝘤𝘢𝘯 𝘩𝘰𝘭𝘭𝘦𝘳 𝘭𝘰𝘶𝘥𝘦𝘴𝘵 𝘸𝘪𝘵𝘩𝘰𝘶𝘵 𝘬𝘯𝘰𝘸𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘸𝘩𝘢𝘵 𝘩𝘦 𝘪𝘴 𝘩𝘰𝘭𝘭𝘦𝘳𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘢𝘣𝘰𝘶𝘵............. ᴍᴀʀᴋ ᴛᴡᴀɪɴ
billryan
billryan 
September 28th, 2020 at 5:38:13 PM permalink
There are several books on Gotti that go much deeper into the occurrences at the courthouses. Witness intimidation, juror intimidation, reporters assaulted, federal vehicles damaged. At one time, there were Gotti supporters in jail for their actions at his trials while he walked. I forget how many trials he had, but it was ridiculous. He'd get off and they would try him on something different until something finally stuck when his men turned on him.
Never met Sammy, but his son and Gotti Jr were big on the NY nitelife scene while I was working it. One of my friend's fathers was mobbed up but he couldn't be because his mom was Irish. Hid dad just disappeared one day.
Personally, I think the Irish mob was bigger in NYC but they are a much more secretive group. They all folded like cheap suits when the Russians hit town.
gamerfreak
gamerfreak
  • Threads: 48
September 28th, 2020 at 7:00:31 PM permalink
Iíve watched all of sopranos at least 3 times
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 72
September 28th, 2020 at 7:15:27 PM permalink
Quote: gamerfreak

Iíve watched all of sopranos at least 3 times

I still have not watched a single episode of Sopranos, and it sounds like something that I would enjoy. It is so many seasons that I am a little bit intimidated to start it.
Living longer does not always infer +EV
billryan
billryan 
September 28th, 2020 at 7:45:46 PM permalink
Not too long ago, I binge-watched the Sopranos over the course of about a week. It stood up better than I expected, and the last couple of seasons weren't as long and drawn out as I'd recalled. It's worth watching.
jjjoooggg
jjjoooggg
  • Threads: 29
September 28th, 2020 at 10:52:53 PM permalink
I was friends with the grandson of an italian mafia member for 3 months until he left town. It was best social life of my life. He was living with strippers.
I belong to an elite group called the "Zombie Outbreak Response Team."
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 221
September 29th, 2020 at 6:28:34 AM permalink

Personally, I think the Irish mob was bigger in NYC but they are a much more secretive group. They all folded like cheap suits when the Russians hit town.

The Westies were one of the few groups that the mafia could not totally dominate. Paul Castellano made them a deal, went partners. I doubt the Irish were "bigger" though.
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others

• Jump to: