Thread Rating:

EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 423
July 12th, 2020 at 2:38:39 PM permalink
Quote: lilredrooster

the Untouchables tv show from back in the day is on H&I tonight and maybe other Sunday nights
it was a pretty good show IMO
much better than the 80s movie again IMO

It was in B/W, not color.

"It's not enough to succeed, your friends must fail." Gore Vidal
billryan
billryan 
  • Threads: 168
July 13th, 2020 at 7:18:04 AM permalink
In 1975/76, when calculators were first available to the general public, there were all sorts of tricks you could perform on them. I remember if you punched in certain numbers, it would spell out my name.
There was one long series of calculations, where you would ask a question and the person would enter the answer, then multiply by the next answer and finally you'd do one last action, turn the calculator upside down and the answer would be - Shell oil.
Anyone remember the questions that got you that answer?
If I recall correctly, the prices of calculators dropped from around $250 to under $20 in not much more than a year.
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 165
July 13th, 2020 at 9:47:08 AM permalink
I think calculators were dominated by Texas Instruments at that time. I don’t remember the cost, but they weren’t real cheap.
Quasimodo? Does that name ring a bell?
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
  • Threads: 154
July 13th, 2020 at 11:02:06 AM permalink
please delete
𝘈𝘭𝘭 𝘵𝘩𝘢𝘵 𝘸𝘦 𝘴𝘦𝘦 𝘰𝘳 𝘴𝘦𝘦𝘮 - 𝘪𝘴 𝘣𝘶𝘵 𝘢 𝘥𝘳𝘦𝘢𝘮 𝘸𝘪𝘵𝘩𝘪𝘯 𝘢 𝘥𝘳𝘦𝘢𝘮.........Edgar Allan Poe
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
  • Threads: 300
July 13th, 2020 at 11:14:15 AM permalink
Quote: billryan

In 1975/76, when calculators were first available to the general public, there were all sorts of tricks you could perform on them. I remember if you punched in certain numbers, it would spell out my name.
There was one long series of calculations, where you would ask a question and the person would enter the answer, then multiply by the next answer and finally you'd do one last action, turn the calculator upside down and the answer would be - Shell oil.
Anyone remember the questions that got you that answer?
If I recall correctly, the prices of calculators dropped from around $250 to under $20 in not much more than a year.

I remember a guy who had one of the first desktop calculators by Texas Instruments. All it did was add,multiply, divide etc. I'm pretty sure it wouldn't calculate a square root, for example. The display was a bunch of zeroes with a cross in the middle and to show a number some of the lines lit up in the crossed zero, if you can picture that. The decimal point was fixed in one place.

I remember he said it cost $100, and that was around 1972 or 73 I'd guess.
the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!” She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 71
July 13th, 2020 at 12:11:21 PM permalink
I think the real breakthrough came with the TI-30 calculator. We got one in 1978 and it was incredibly powerful and only $25.

Living longer does not always infer +EV
billryan
billryan 
July 14th, 2020 at 8:47:42 AM permalink
In my house, kids got three major Christmas presents, as well as minor ones and a stocking full of smaller ones. My older sister got a TI calculator as a major gift one year, and I got my first calculator two years later, as a stocking stuffer.
I'm talking here about handheld ones, not the desktop ones.
My Aunt had a calculating machine that weighed about thirty pounds that we all enjoyed playing with when she first got it.
She also had the first unabridged dictionary I ever saw and for some reason, that gave us hours of entertainment. Finding a word that starts with Q but has no U was a big thing.
My Aunt was also the first person I knew with two, yes two, phones, one of which was a Princess phone. To this day, I never understood how she got her phone number- 464-5000. I've never seen another residential account that ended in three zeroes, although I'm sure they exist.
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 423
July 14th, 2020 at 9:52:27 AM permalink
My dad got a TI calculator
in the early 70's that only
did the basics. We were
absolutely fascinated by
the thing, that's how tech
savvy we weren't. Then
Pong came out and we
thought we were in an
ep of Star Trek..
"It's not enough to succeed, your friends must fail." Gore Vidal
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 165
July 14th, 2020 at 10:02:51 AM permalink
Quote: billryan

. To this day, I never understood how she got her phone number- 464-5000. I've never seen another residential account that ended in three zeroes, although I'm sure they exist.

I'm sure that was before businesses started aiming to get easy to remember numbers.

Reminds me, in the early days of the Internet when you could still pick up very common names for your dot.com I knew a few people who had their domain scooped out from under them, because they didn't keep on top of renewing it.
Quasimodo? Does that name ring a bell?
billryan
billryan 
July 14th, 2020 at 2:32:11 PM permalink
Quote: rxwine

I'm sure that was before businesses started aiming to get easy to remember numbers.

Reminds me, in the early days of the Internet when you could still pick up very common names for your dot.com I knew a few people who had their domain scooped out from under them, because they didn't keep on top of renewing it.

She wasn't that old. This was also in the days that all of NYC was in the 212 area code. Her biggest peeve was that Ideal Toy had 464-4000 and she would get a few phone calls a week.
Last edited by: billryan on Jul 14, 2020

• Jump to: