Thread Rating:

rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 214
July 30th, 2024 at 6:11:07 AM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

Quote: Johnzimbo

Remember hearing a top 40 single on the radio, liking it, then buying the album and finding out the radio version was shortened?

I can recall two for sure.

American Woman by Guess Who
Green Eyed Lady by Sugarloaf
link to original post

Just realized that I've never bought a record album in my life, I was never into music that much. I was always reading. My brother on the other hand has hundreds of albums. I was just at the library today, to me it's a more sacred place than the church.
link to original post

You don't use the Libby app? Save you from leaving your house.
Sanitized for Your Protection
smoothgrh
smoothgrh
  • Threads: 91
July 30th, 2024 at 8:00:47 AM permalink

Remember hearing a top 40 single on the radio, liking it, then buying the album and finding out the radio version was shortened?

link to original post

I had never heard the full version of Stevie Wonder's "Isn't She Lovely" until I bought the song on iTunes!
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
  • Threads: 16
July 30th, 2024 at 8:48:20 AM permalink
Quote: rxwine

link to original post

Just realized that I've never bought a record album in my life, I was never into music that much. I was always reading. My brother on the other hand has hundreds of albums. I was just at the library today, to me it's a more sacred place than the church.
link to original post

You don't use the Libby app? Save you from leaving your house.
link to original post

There are a few different library apps, depending on which digital collection "your" library subscribes to.
Mine gets me different collections on Libby and Hoopla.

Do I remember something about Meals on Wheels delivering library requests for a while?
(Not trying to cast aspersions on our group, but someone here would remember if it was once a thing.)
May the cards fall in your favor.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 243
August 14th, 2024 at 10:03:25 AM permalink
Remember when you were taught to walk on the left, facing traffic?

Saw it again today, woman with 2-3 kids in tow, walking on the right.

Anyone else notice this?
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 442
August 14th, 2024 at 10:57:16 AM permalink
Quote: AZDuffman

Anyone else notice this?
link to original post

I see it all the time because nobody explained to them the most rudimentary things about life and how to stay alive.
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
rxwine
rxwine
August 14th, 2024 at 12:54:57 PM permalink

Anyone else notice this?
link to original post

I see it all the time because nobody explained to them the most rudimentary things about life and how to stay alive.
link to original post

Doesn’t matter any longer; everyone is looking at their phone.
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 89
August 14th, 2024 at 4:53:38 PM permalink

Anyone else notice this?
link to original post

link to original post

Doesn’t matter any longer; everyone is looking at their phone.
link to original post

I was foolishly walking across a street in San Diego on my phone and ran into the curb because I wasn't paying attention. Kicking a curb in sandals is painful and I ended up breaking my big toe.
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
  • Threads: 327
August 14th, 2024 at 6:06:26 PM permalink

Anyone else notice this?
link to original post

it used to be taught to everyone. I find young people simply don't believe me when I tell them this.

Unmentioned even in my day: you walk on the left so you can see what's coming ... you might have to leap out of the road
the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!”   She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder
EvenBob
EvenBob
Thanked by
odiousgambit
August 14th, 2024 at 6:16:48 PM permalink
Quote: odiousgambit

Anyone else notice this?
link to original post

it used to be taught to everyone. I find young people simply don't believe me when I tell them this.

Unmentioned even in my day: you walk on the left so you can see what's coming ... you might have to leap out of the road
link to original post

25 years ago Stephen King was walking on the road near his house and was struck by a pickup truck from behind. It changed his life because of the injuries. He might have been able to avoid it if he'ed been facing the oncoming vehicle.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
August 15th, 2024 at 2:37:11 AM permalink

Anyone else notice this?
link to original post

link to original post

I have seen like a dozen kids walking home from school on the right. Shook my head. It just seems a casualty of schools not teaching life skills. People born after 1980 just do not seem to get it.
EvenBob
EvenBob
August 15th, 2024 at 9:04:57 AM permalink

Anyone else notice this?
link to original post

link to original post

I have seen like a dozen kids walking home from school on the right. Shook my head. It just seems a casualty of schools not teaching life skills. People born after 1980 just do not seem to get it.
link to original post

It's their parents that don't get it. My parents taught me all this stuff and parents aren't teaching their kids anything. I was reading that this generation of parents is so stressed that many of them when they get home from work they sit in their car in the garage for an hour and drink wine before they face the family. Or they sit in the parking lot down the street and do it. Pretty bad when you got to be half drunk before you walk in your own door.
TigerWu
TigerWu
  • Threads: 26
August 15th, 2024 at 9:22:18 AM permalink

I was reading that this generation of parents is so stressed that many of them when they get home from work they sit in their car in the garage for an hour and drink wine before they face the family. Or they sit in the parking lot down the street and do it.
link to original post

LOL Where on earth did you read that? Sounds like something that would happen in the '50s, not today.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
August 15th, 2024 at 12:42:50 PM permalink
Quote: TigerWu

I was reading that this generation of parents is so stressed that many of them when they get home from work they sit in their car in the garage for an hour and drink wine before they face the family. Or they sit in the parking lot down the street and do it.
link to original post

LOL Where on earth did you read that? Sounds like something that would happen in the '50s, not today.
link to original post

I can see it still happening. Lots of people have a sort of walking depression. Hide behind a happy face but their family life is not what they want. It is not what they see on the sitcoms. Filling their lives with useless consumer goods. Just getting by.
tuttigym
tuttigym
  • Threads: 10
August 15th, 2024 at 1:11:42 PM permalink

link to original post

link to original post

Too bad you did not live in the "50's." They were great. Not the kind of "stress" one sees or feels today. Most everyone was working. Moms stayed at home with their children. Gas and autos were cheap and affordable along with housing and rents. Kids played outside with their friends and could use their imaginations to make things interesting. Families ate dinner together and moms packed the lunchbox for school. There was so much more. It was a wonderful time to grow up. People in the "middle class" were abundant and active and could actually save a portion of their wages. Vegas was affordable and EXCITING and unique.

Tiger, what we have today is chaos, complexities, polarities, the f bomb along with all the other crudities, and confusion.

tuttigym
rxwine
rxwine
August 15th, 2024 at 2:46:42 PM permalink
Tuttigym inspired me to look this up. And I wasn't too surprised by the result. : )

Quote:

Ancient Greece: Aristotle noted that young people are high-minded and think they know everything1.
1st Century B.C.E.: The Roman poet Horace lamented that each generation was worse than the one before1.
14th Century Japan: Yoshida Kenkō criticized the coarsening of language and modern fashions1.
17th Century England: Thomas Barnes complained about the disrespectful behavior of youth1.
18th Century England: A letter in Town and Country magazine bemoaned the loss of manly vigor and athletic appearance in young

DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 89
August 15th, 2024 at 3:26:26 PM permalink

link to original post

link to original post

I can see it still happening. Lots of people have a sort of walking depression. Hide behind a happy face but their family life is not what they want. It is not what they see on the sitcoms. Filling their lives with useless consumer goods. Just getting by.
link to original post

That is why the show "Married With Children" may be the best TV show ever. It showed the side of life most people won't talk about.
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
August 15th, 2024 at 3:30:54 PM permalink
Quote: DRich

link to original post

link to original post

link to original post

That is why the show "Married With Children" may be the best TV show ever. It showed the side of life most people won't talk about.
link to original post

Also "Rosanne" got it really close to the mark. If you spend much time in lower management where you deal with the front line people daily you get to see it. Probably 40% of the USA is living right on the edge all the time. So many a flat tire from disaster.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
August 16th, 2024 at 6:07:28 PM permalink
Remember when most slots were "reel" slots and you would regularly see people playing 2 and even 3 machines at once? That always amazed me, need that much stimulation?!

I do not think I have seen people playing multiples since the early 2000s though I am sure some of you have seen it lately.
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
  • Threads: 16
August 16th, 2024 at 8:23:04 PM permalink

Remember when most slots were "reel" slots and you would regularly see people playing 2 and even 3 machines at once? That always amazed me, need that much stimulation?!

I do not think I have seen people playing multiples since the early 2000s though I am sure some of you have seen it lately.
link to original post

Most of the floor layouts I've seen since the time of social distancing have been low density, so "adjacent" machines have enough space between the player button decks to make it difficult.

It does seem more common to see a couple playing one machine, rather than one person playing two.
May the cards fall in your favor.
terapined
terapined
  • Threads: 93
August 17th, 2024 at 3:14:25 PM permalink
Laci Peterson murder 20 years ago
I followed this case pretty closely
Total media Circus
Just watched the Netflix documentary on this
Pretty shocking that the number 1 cause of death among pregnant women is homicide
rxwine
rxwine
August 17th, 2024 at 4:59:10 PM permalink
I don't know if anyone else had this effect, but when 911 happened I watched so much coverage I think I started to feel the effects of PTSD, Maybe it wasn't PTSD but it was something.
billryan
billryan 
  • Threads: 244
August 17th, 2024 at 7:59:35 PM permalink

I don't know if anyone else had this effect, but when 911 happened I watched so much coverage I think I started to feel the effects of PTSD, Maybe it wasn't PTSD but it was something.
link to original post

I had nightmares about it for years. Regularly at first, but they began spacing themselves out and eventually stopped.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
EvenBob
EvenBob
August 18th, 2024 at 11:02:23 AM permalink

link to original post

I watched the first day as it unfolded and after that I ignored it because all they did was repeat the same news over and over until they ran it into the ground. It's what they always do. My wife always falls for it, she'll sit there for days watching the same news regurgitated over and over again. I couldn't do that now if I wanted to because I don't have cable, I can't get live news and my life is so much better.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
August 18th, 2024 at 3:25:50 PM permalink

link to original post

I watched the first day as it unfolded and after that I ignored it because all they did was repeat the same news over and over until they ran it into the ground. It's what they always do. My wife always falls for it, she'll sit there for days watching the same news regurgitated over and over again. I couldn't do that now if I wanted to because I don't have cable, I can't get live news and my life is so much better.
link to original post

I kept it on because I was way into news back then. I even looked around the dial, they had some channel I forget which dialed into CBC which gave a detached Canadian viewpoint, which was and still is interesting. I had business on Long Island a week later, it was weird to see the smoke where you saw the towers. One guy at our Queens branch watched it fall on TV and live out the window at the same time. He was a tad shaken, lived in the midwest all his life until a couple months before.
EvenBob
EvenBob
August 18th, 2024 at 5:10:14 PM permalink

link to original post

link to original post

I kept it on because I was way into news back then. I even looked around the dial, they had some channel I forget which dialed into CBC which gave a detached Canadian viewpoint, which was and still is interesting. I had business on Long Island a week later, it was weird to see the smoke where you saw the towers. One guy at our Queens branch watched it fall on TV and live out the window at the same time. He was a tad shaken, lived in the midwest all his life until a couple months before.
link to original post

I was 52 years old when they took out the Twin Towers so I've been around to see this kind of thing covered ad nauseaum. In the late sixties on the Nightly News they had Vietnam coverage every single night for years and it all looked the same. I got sick of it and learned how to tune it out. Give me the highlights once a week and I'm happy.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
August 27th, 2024 at 3:13:43 PM permalink
Remember when radio stations used to just round their frequency for advertising? Sure, they did the FCC thing once per hour with the real one, but it was shortened because before digital you just dialed it close then went by ear.

AM stations would go even shorter, down to two digits because the radio in your car usually did the same.

• Jump to: