Thread Rating:

FleaStiff
FleaStiff
  • Threads: 261
April 26th, 2019 at 3:52:57 PM permalink
Yeah, and you could park your horseless carriage anywhere.
Lovecomps
Lovecomps
  • Threads: 54
April 26th, 2019 at 6:59:37 PM permalink
Quote: MDawg

Wasn't so VERY long ago, but remember when you could just slide a credit card in a "Twicket" kiosk at the airport and get on a plane with no ID? Show up for the domestic flight twenty minutes before departure, get on just fine and your checked luggage would make it onboard too.

Yeah, and you put on a suit or dress for the flight and after takeoff went upstairs to the piano bar in the bubble of the 747 (Pan Am, of course).
The best things in life are not free.
beachbumbabs
Administrator
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 97
Thanks for this post from:
MDawg
April 26th, 2019 at 7:51:07 PM permalink
Quote: Lovecomps

Yeah, and you put on a suit or dress for the flight and after takeoff went upstairs to the piano bar in the bubble of the 747 (Pan Am, of course).

TWA had that, too. My first flight was Dec. 1977, when I took a B747 from Chicago to London. We did dress up (college theatre tour) for the plane, and we did go upstairs, but I wasn't yet 21 so they didn't want me in the bar there. It was a beautiful circular staircase, and the lighting up there was like stars in a dark sky.

Someday I'm going to write the book about that trip. We were 4 lawless, scandalous, young American girls who cut loose from our chaperones for 3 weeks in London. (Granny sucks her dentures into a secret smile...)
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
MDawg
MDawg
  • Threads: 10
April 26th, 2019 at 8:01:39 PM permalink

Wasn't so VERY long ago, but remember when you could just slide a credit card in a "Twicket" kiosk at the airport and get on a plane with no ID? Show up for the domestic flight twenty minutes before departure, get on just fine and your checked luggage would make it onboard too.

Really I'm just talking about pre 9/11. Could still do that as recently as early 2001. I believe it was SW Airlines had those twicket terminals all over the airport, just show up, slide your credit card (or anyone's credit card, is the point I am getting at), get on the plane, and they wouldn't even ask for ID.

Plus those were the days when I was flying to Vegas or Tahoe about every three weeks and I'd routinely show up within thirty minutes of departure with baggage to check, no problemo.
Last edited by: MDawg on Apr 26, 2019
beachbumbabs
Administrator
beachbumbabs
MDawg
April 26th, 2019 at 8:05:17 PM permalink

Really I'm just talking about pre 9/11. Could still do that as recently as early 2001. I believe it was SW Airlines had those twicket terminals all over the airport, just show up, slide your credit card (or anyone's credit card, is the point I am getting at), get on the plane, and they wouldn't even ask for ID.

Plus those were the days when I was flying to Vegas or Tahoe about every three weeks and I'd routinely show up within thirty minutes of departure with checked baggage, no problemo.

Yeah, we had jump privileges with America West and PSA, couple others pre-9/11. Show ATC ID and a pink cockpit access card, if the jump seat was open, it was yours. Those were the days..
GWAE
GWAE
  • Threads: 90
tringlomane
June 19th, 2019 at 12:21:12 PM permalink
Remember those big Johnson shirts. I had about 20 of them. Cant imagine teens walking around with those now adays
Expect the worst and you will never be disappointed. I AM NOT PART OF GWAE RADIO SHOW
Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
  • Threads: 230
beachbumbabs
June 19th, 2019 at 1:27:52 PM permalink
Quote: beachbumbabs

...Someday I'm going to write the book about that trip. We were 4 lawless, scandalous, young American girls who cut loose from our chaperones for 3 weeks in London.

Oohh Myyy.... "Coffee, Tea, or Me, Part Deux?"

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leonardo da Vinci
beachbumbabs
Administrator
beachbumbabs
Ayecarumba
June 19th, 2019 at 1:30:57 PM permalink
Quote: Ayecarumba

Oohh Myyy.... "Coffee, Tea, or Me, Part Deux?"

Lol...

One thing that stood out on that trip. Michelle, a truly gorgeous black-haired beauty, got one of her new "friends" to pay for her to travel home on the Concorde, instead of with us peons on the B747.
Doc
Doc
  • Threads: 45
June 19th, 2019 at 6:20:11 PM permalink
I only recall flying on a 747 one time -- New York to Athens, Greece in June 1981 on my way to Egypt. They had converted the area upstairs under the bump (behind the cockpit) from a piano bar to business class seating. That's where we were, and the most notable thing about that arrangement was that we didn't get to watch the in-flight movies, because there was no room up there for a screen (like the ones that dropped down from the ceiling over the aisles on the main level. This was in the days before seat-back screens.
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
  • Threads: 261
June 19th, 2019 at 7:07:47 PM permalink
Planes? I recall a 727(?) that was descending VFR when he spotted a Cessna 182 Skyhawk and went into a climbing turn passing the now-diving Skyhawk close enough to count rivets. Obviously I survived it and went on to become a crisis actor in the great diabetes fake news scam.

• Jump to: