Thread Rating:

treetopbuddy
treetopbuddy
  • Threads: 34
January 24th, 2014 at 2:07:31 PM permalink
Quote: FleaStiff

No, your parents, politicians and teachers did.

Exactly.......did the the Ruskie kids hide under their desks.?
Each day is better than the next
Buzzard
Buzzard
  • Threads: 90
January 24th, 2014 at 2:56:51 PM permalink

You ain't even close to being the poorest one here! Maybe I can't add to 21 properly or remember what to do with a pair of aces, but I sure am the poorest person to be on a gambling site.

98 dodge van, furniture, that's all folks. I am a very rich man, beautiful wife great kids and grandkips, just no money to speak of.

Face is guilty of exaggeration, but he already knows that. Too much firewater.
Shed not for her the bitter tear Nor give the heart to vain regret Tis but the casket that lies here, The gem that filled it Sparkles yet
Buzzard
Buzzard
January 24th, 2014 at 2:58:50 PM permalink
Quote: treetopbuddy

Exactly.......did the the Ruskie kids hide under their desks.?

The Ruskie kids had no desk The commies spent that money on the space race. And Sputnik scared the hell out of the Pentagon.
Shed not for her the bitter tear Nor give the heart to vain regret Tis but the casket that lies here, The gem that filled it Sparkles yet
Buzzard
Buzzard
January 24th, 2014 at 3:08:33 PM permalink
Remember crib notes on school , or writing answers on the cuffs of long sleeve shirts. Or passing a note in class. Now the kids text each other.

My adult Daughter MaryJo just told me about latest way to cheat in College class. Teacher assigned text books and you have to answer question in it on an on-line class. MaryJo just bought the teacher guide and answers from Amazon. Free next day delivery with her Free
student Prime account. MaryJo reminds me of somebody always looking for an angle. Maybe she was adopted ?
Face
Administrator
Face
  • Threads: 49
February 7th, 2014 at 10:12:36 AM permalink
"Ghost Man on second!"

Does anyone remember hearing this echo across a newly mowed field in their youth? When kids wanted to play baseball but obviously couldn't get 18 of them together to field full teams, "ghost men" were used in place of peers.

In my own yard, we played two on two. If one got on base and his teammate didn't bat him in, "Ghost Man!" was called and an invisible player took his spot on the base to allow the kid to go bat. Ghost Man was tied to the actions of the other actual kid on base and moved when he moved. He had every semblance of a real person, everyone knew who he was, and everyone, almost intuitively, knew how to use him. How to advance his base, how to get him home, how to get him out.

I have absolutely no idea whatsoever why this haunting cry from my youth chose to revist me today. It brings tears to my eyes. I wonder if there's a single ten year old today who even knows who Ghost Man is, or what a powerful tool he was to us.
The opinions of this moderator are for entertainment purposes only.
treetopbuddy
treetopbuddy
  • Threads: 34
February 7th, 2014 at 10:18:52 AM permalink
Yeah, used ghost men when playing wiffle ball. Worked great for one on one games. Played for hours and hours.
Each day is better than the next
GWAE
GWAE
  • Threads: 93
February 7th, 2014 at 10:35:28 AM permalink
Quote: treetopbuddy

Yeah, used ghost men when playing wiffle ball. Worked great for one on one games. Played for hours and hours.

+1
I used to love the big red bat. My buddy would only use the banana bat. My screw ball with 4 slits in the ball got him everytime.

remember when craft mac and cheese was 5 boxes for $1. Thats not even that long ago.
Expect the worst and you will never be disappointed. I AM NOT PART OF GWAE RADIO SHOW
GWAE
GWAE
March 1st, 2014 at 5:15:29 AM permalink
The thread about video game slot machines got me thinking.

Remember when we would all hang out at the arcade. There was an arcade in every single mall. On a Friday night we would hang out at the mall and play various games including pin ball. I would play the Indiana Jones pinball game for hours. I am 34 so this was circa 1990-1994

This was also back when games were mostly $0.25 a play. There were also no prize machine games except for the candy grab.

Nowadays there are no arcades in the Malls. In my area we have 6 malls and only 1 of them has an arcade and it is tiny. Of course there is Dave and Busters and places like.
Expect the worst and you will never be disappointed. I AM NOT PART OF GWAE RADIO SHOW
Ibeatyouraces
Ibeatyouraces
  • Threads: 68
March 1st, 2014 at 5:25:49 AM permalink
deleted
DUHHIIIIIIIII HEARD THAT!
RonC
RonC
  • Threads: 40
March 1st, 2014 at 5:28:20 AM permalink
For no reason at all other than a conversation in the office next door to me about Lancaster, Pa yesterday, I retreated for an hour to my favorite place and family members...and my first paying job. I even found it on Google maps; it looks pretty much the same...

My uncle owned two small farms (maybe 180 acres total) from the late '30's until 2000 or so. My first memories of Pennsylvania are time on that farm (the men going hunting on the opening day of small game season), gathering thousands of eggs before layers were caged, and taking on more and more work as I grew older...only it did not seem like work even if it was hard. Driving the lawn tractor at 10, the big farm tractor at 12, and into town to the feed mill with 140 bushels I loaded myself in the big truck at 14 (farm use; no need for a license is what they said back then).

My first pay check (complete with SS and taxes taken out) for one whole summer of work for $276.01. That was for 8-15 hours of day of work but included the best food ever, hand-scooped ice cream at noon at the general store some days, breakfast at "Liar's Club" (where the old farmers and townsfolks met to swap stories each day over food and coffee), and lots of time in the seat of a tractor.

My uncle will always be a hero to me...and I will always be thankful my oldest son got at least a glimpse of the farm life before he was gone.
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
  • Threads: 326
March 1st, 2014 at 6:19:43 AM permalink
Quote: GWAE

This was also back when games were mostly $0.25 a play.

I spent my entire childhood, on into teen years, massively jealous of the kids who were given a bunch of quarters to go play all the time. Of course they became fantastically good [at whatever] and I always sucked beyond belief.

By the time I started earning my own money, the value of money ingrained in me would not allow too much catch up.
the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!”   She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder
Buzzard
Buzzard
March 1st, 2014 at 7:33:01 AM permalink
" Does anyone remember hearing this echo across a newly mowed field in their youth? "

MOWED ? As an inner city kid I had to set the weed covered field on fire, wait until the firetrucks left, they set up whatever we could steal for bases. The baseball had no cover and we wrapped it in black tape.

But we had wooden bats. I hate that "ping" sound of an aluminum bat. UGH !
LarryS
LarryS
  • Threads: 67
March 1st, 2014 at 9:06:29 AM permalink
For people like me that has no mechanical ability

Remember when you needed an oil change, so you go to your local Goodyear, Firestone, or a dealer etc....and they say "do you have an appointment" the answer is no....ok "leave your keys we will have it done before we close.

or

First thing in the morning...."i have an appointment for an oil change and would like to wait"......ok...that will be about an hour.

jiffy lube pioneered taking the mystery and wait out of oil changes. And now to compete...even my Honda dealer has "express" oil change service.
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
  • Threads: 265
March 1st, 2014 at 9:07:34 AM permalink

The thread about video game slot machines got me thinking.

Remember when we would all hang out at the arcade. There was an arcade in every single mall. On a Friday night we would hang out at the mall and play various games including pin ball. I would play the Indiana Jones pinball game for hours. I am 34 so this was circa 1990-1994

This was also back when games were mostly $0.25 a play. There were also no prize machine games except for the candy grab.

Nowadays there are no arcades in the Malls. In my area we have 6 malls and only 1 of them has an arcade and it is tiny. Of course there is Dave and Busters and places like.

With all the money spent on child care and latchkey kids, wouldn't it make sense to bring back the old arcades with older games and cheaper games but still have it be cheaper than a night out at Dave and Busters. Some of those malls are virtually empty and willing to try anything to survive.
GWAE
GWAE
March 1st, 2014 at 9:09:20 AM permalink
Quote: LarryS

For people like me that has no mechanical ability

Remember when you needed an oil change, so you go to your local Goodyear, Firestone, or a dealer etc....and they say "do you have an appointment" the answer is no....ok "leave your keys we will have it done before we close.

or

First thing in the morning...."i have an appointment for an oil change and would like to wait"......ok...that will be about an hour.

jiffy lube pioneered taking the mystery and wait out of oil changes. And now to compete...even my Honda dealer has "express" oil change service.

that was also when oil changes were 9.99. Now Jiffy charges 40-50 for that quick service.
LarryS
LarryS
March 1st, 2014 at 9:25:03 AM permalink
I am not usre if this one was brought up...i didnt read all 57 pages

As a kid for long car rides, before vido games, movies, ipads to hold attentions....the prehistoric devices to hold our attention

1- the mans head with metal filings for hair with a magnetic stick to give the man a beard, mustache, head of hair
2-etch- a- sketch
3- the poor mans etch-a-sketch---a thick carboard piece with a piece of platsic like materiel over it..when you applied pressuere on the plastic covering with a wooden pencil-like stick it made an impression on the material underneath it...and when u were finished you lifted the pastic covering, and it "erased" your work.
4- Mad LIBS
5- color forms-(do they still make that???)

and then when we were home to occupy out time

cap gun
water gun(not super soaker..but a pistol like water device)
Paddle with ball on an elastic string
then of course the sports items lik baeball glove, basketball
maybe for rainey days some puzzles, or models, play dough when younger, or lincoln logs/tinker toys.(remember the smell of tinker toys when u first opened them up)

But basically the toys were "outdoor" toys thatinvolved some activity. Not alot of obesity back then with kids. It was actually a big punishment if mom said you couldnt go outside.
LarryS
LarryS
March 1st, 2014 at 9:32:37 AM permalink

that was also when oil changes were 9.99. Now Jiffy charges 40-50 for that quick service.

yeah but they top off your windshield washer fluid.

so it evens out

And today it is 35.99, and you do pay a little extra for the speedy service which is worth it to me.....and the price at the good years and firestones has not remained 9.99

So if you compare apples to apples..you maybe pay 5 dollars more at jiffylube for avoiding the hassel of wating a hour or more if you have an appointment,or leaving your car for a few hours.. My time is worth that for sure.
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
March 1st, 2014 at 1:20:56 PM permalink

Remember when you needed an oil change, so you go to your local Goodyear, Firestone,

In the 50's and 60's and 70's, you changed your
own oil. Everybody did. I changed mine till about
1990 or so. It was a 10min job, new oil and filter.

I knew a guy in the mid 60's who got 55 gal drums
of oil delivered from Wards and changed his oil
every Saturday morning. He had a 55 Merc and
swore it was why it was still going strong. I'm sure
he was right. Buying oil that way cost about 15 cents
a quart, and gas was 24.9 a gallon.
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
Ibeatyouraces
Ibeatyouraces
March 1st, 2014 at 1:28:40 PM permalink
deleted
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 240
March 1st, 2014 at 2:20:55 PM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

Remember when after you changed it you had to find a way to get rid of it? For years so much was dumped in the corner of your backyard. My dad had the logic of "oil comes out of the ground so what can it hurt?" Today when I take it back he acts as if the shop is doing a favor by taking it. I explained it was a law they had to take it.
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
EvenBob
EvenBob
March 1st, 2014 at 2:52:14 PM permalink
Quote: AZDuffman

Remember when after you changed it you had to find a way to get rid of it? For years so much was dumped in the corner of your backyard.

We spread it on our gravel driveway, it held it
in place very nicely. Stopped the gravel from
washing away.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
March 1st, 2014 at 4:19:43 PM permalink

We spread it on our gravel driveway, it held it
in place very nicely. Stopped the gravel from
washing away.

Same as when they paved the road in "Cool Hand Luke."
zippyboy
zippyboy
  • Threads: 2
March 1st, 2014 at 6:09:43 PM permalink

Buying oil that way cost about 15 cents

What's the deal with 24.9 anyway? Why not just tell us that it's .25/gallon?

My g'pa used to say to the guy at the station "Fill 'er up with Ethyl". Later in life I had a 1969 Olds 442 where the owner's manual required it to take ethyl. By now it was 1983, and there was only a couple places in Austin where ethyl could still be bought.
"Poker sure is an easy game to beat if you have the roll to keep rebuying."
EvenBob
EvenBob
March 1st, 2014 at 6:16:33 PM permalink
Quote: zippyboy

What's the deal with 24.9 anyway? Why not just tell us that it's .25/gallon?

Because it was never 25, it was always 24.9, except for the
summer of 66 when it 19.9 for four months.
LarryS
LarryS
March 1st, 2014 at 6:57:00 PM permalink

With all the money spent on child care and latchkey kids, wouldn't it make sense to bring back the old arcades with older games and cheaper games but still have it be cheaper than a night out at Dave and Busters. Some of those malls are virtually empty and willing to try anything to survive.

the arcades were a must growing up for me on the boardwalk of asbury park, and bradley beach in NJ.
Had a few pinball machines, and a "claw"

A treat when I go tov vegas is going to the pinball museum.....I havent been there for 3 years though.

But all the machines are playable. Including the old baseball machine where you use a flipper to hit a ball, and the ball goes thru a flap that says our, single double, triple, and if the ball flys up a ramp to the upper deck its a home run. Little carboard baseball payers run the bases like a merygoround
zippyboy
zippyboy
March 1st, 2014 at 7:54:14 PM permalink

Because it was never 25, it was always 24.9, except for the
summer of 66 when it 19.9 for four months.

Oh, Bob. Saying it's 24 and nine tenths is like saying we visit Wizard of Vega and nine tenths.
"Poker sure is an easy game to beat if you have the roll to keep rebuying."
LarryS
LarryS
March 1st, 2014 at 8:18:03 PM permalink

I knew a guy in the mid 60's who got 55 gal drums
of oil delivered from Wards and changed his oil
every Saturday morning. He had a 55 Merc and
swore it was why it was still going strong. I'm sure
he was right. Buying oil that way cost about 15 cents

its still only 10 minutes. And even though EVERYONE changed their own oil. In the 70's I never did, my father never did in the 50's 60' 70s, my 4 college roomates never did. Thats like saying in the 50's 60's and 70's everyone pumped their own gas. I never pumped gas till I was 40.
So if everyone in the country didnt even pump theirown gas in the 70's......no way did EVERYONE changed their own oil.
EvenBob
EvenBob
March 1st, 2014 at 9:05:04 PM permalink

...no way did EVERYONE changed their own oil.

Most people did, though. There were places that did
it in the 50's, but you had to leave your car and come
back later. The average person didn't have the money
for oil changes and car maintenance, they did it themselves.
Air filters, changing headlights, checking fluid levels.
Try and change a headlight on a modern car, you can't
do it.
Buzzard
Buzzard
March 1st, 2014 at 9:57:24 PM permalink
Gas stations used to do oil changes before they had convenience stores inside them. And try and sell oil to customer .
1970's commercial

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nq9uO5cawCs
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 100
March 1st, 2014 at 10:41:57 PM permalink

do it.

I used to change my own headlights, batteries, tail lights. The last 2 new cars I've had...forget it. You have to take 3-5 things out of the engine compartment before you can do either. It's ridiculous.
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
EvenBob
EvenBob
March 1st, 2014 at 11:23:47 PM permalink
In the older cars (90's) everything was right there. They've
forced us to become dealer dependent for everything now.
Thank god most oil change places will change a headlight,
I can't do it to save my life. Thank god they hardly ever
need changing. In the 60's I always carried a spare, they
went out a couple times a year.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
March 2nd, 2014 at 4:59:28 AM permalink

do it.

It used to be the average guy did a lot on his own car, often spending half a saturday on it. You would change the oil, possibly adjust the brakes, air filter, check the timing, points, etc. This was true even for most guys who had some kind of white collar job. Your dad would teach you how to change it in the driveway when you were about 12-13 years old.

I was lucky we had a garage, but I still learned on one freaking cold day. And remember when you had to tap the oil can with a spout? This was hard for me because when I learned the cans were cardboard and you could crush them easily if you didn't push the spout in just right, those who did it know what i am talking about.

I just had the shop replace my headlights because one burned out. I replaced them myself last time and it was such a hassle I didn't want to do it in the really cold weather. In summer I would possibly have given it a shot.

Saturdays not taken up with tuning or fixing the car were filled with washing and waxing it. Remember spending the afternoon waking the car and polishing all the chrome so she looked great for a few days? Who does that anymore, unless it is an antique car you keep in the garage?
EvenBob
EvenBob
March 2nd, 2014 at 12:23:15 PM permalink
Quote: AZDuffman

It used to be the average guy did a lot on his own car, often spending half a saturday on it.

Cars were part of our identity then, and that's
gone now. Look at all the songs written about
cars in the 60's. Cars had personalities, now
they just get us from one place to another.

'She'll have fun fun fun till her daddy takes her T-bird away.'
1BB
1BB
  • Threads: 18
March 2nd, 2014 at 12:29:15 PM permalink
I still have my 'Little GTO' just as the song describes it.
Many people, especially ignorant people, want to punish you for speaking the truth. - Mahatma Ghandi
LarryS
LarryS
March 2nd, 2014 at 12:54:03 PM permalink

Cars were part of our identity then, and that's
gone now. Look at all the songs written about
cars in the 60's. Cars had personalities, now
they just get us from one place to another.

'She'll have fun fun fun till her daddy takes her T-bird away.'

thats because in the 60's was the first decade where alot of teenagers were getting cars. There were cheap enough to buy , and cars from the 50's and early 60's could be bought used. Now its no big deal now if a teen says "look at me I am so cool..I have a car"......yeah you and everyone else.

When I was a teen with my first car, I couldnt care less about washing and waxing it for half a day....I would rather pay 2 dollars for a machine wash, and head down to the beach. I was more into laying pipe...than laying an extra coat of wax

Such a lame car....looking back....in 1973.....A 1973 plymouth Duster(cost 2k new).....with a "racing" stripe down the side and an after factory installed 8-track.
SkittleCar1
SkittleCar1
  • Threads: 14
March 2nd, 2014 at 6:31:09 PM permalink
I manage the parts department at a Chevrolet dealership, changing headlight bulbs on certain cars now require the removal of the front fascia. Oy. It's always fun to explain to the customer....

However, we don't have to change them all that often. Knock on wood, we have gone through 8 cars in the last tens years in our household, I don't think we have replaced a headlight bulb on any of them.
SkittleCar1
SkittleCar1
March 2nd, 2014 at 6:35:00 PM permalink
And while I think of it, I hear a lot of older people say "they don't build them like they use to." My reply is always, "I'm glad they don't." 100,000 miles with little maintenance is nothing with today's cars. Plus the are MUCH safer....
My favorite example...

http://youtu.be/joMK1WZjP7g

Again, I'm glad they don't build them like they use to!
ncfatcat
ncfatcat
March 2nd, 2014 at 6:41:01 PM permalink
My mechanic cusses computer aided design in cars. Says they don't calculate space to go in and change parts by hand.
Gambling is a metaphor for life. Hang around long enough and it's all gone.
SkittleCar1
SkittleCar1
March 2nd, 2014 at 6:45:53 PM permalink
100% true! Just as an example, engines are designed, THEN get put in different automobiles. One size fits all, just not real well.

Nothing beats the car designs of the past though. So much personality built into the look of them.
bw
bw
  • Threads: 7
March 2nd, 2014 at 8:07:21 PM permalink
Quote: SkittleCar1

And while I think of it, I hear a lot of older people say "they don't build them like they use to." My reply is always, "I'm glad they don't." 100,000 miles with little maintenance is nothing with today's cars. Plus the are MUCH safer....
My favorite example...

http://youtu.be/joMK1WZjP7g

Again, I'm glad they don't build them like they use to!

Also cars don't rust out like they used to. Remember you had to pay a few hundred dollars extra at the dealership for rustproofing that still didn't work too well compared to todays cars.
SkittleCar1
SkittleCar1
March 3rd, 2014 at 4:02:51 AM permalink
That might depend on where you are. Here in northern NY, a five year old car can look pretty rough because of all the salt they use on the roads in the winter. Don't ever buy a used vehicle that came from Lake Placid NY. :-)
GWAE
GWAE
March 3rd, 2014 at 4:09:45 AM permalink
Quote: bw

Also cars don't rust out like they used to. Remember you had to pay a few hundred dollars extra at the dealership for rustproofing that still didn't work too well compared to todays cars.

that wasn't even that long ago. I sold card in 2004 and we sold it for $275.

Oh my I just realized that was 10 years ago. Damn I am getting old.
Ibeatyouraces
Ibeatyouraces
March 3rd, 2014 at 5:47:56 AM permalink
deleted
GWAE
GWAE
March 3rd, 2014 at 8:24:06 AM permalink
Quote: Ibeatyouraces

Remember when gambling was "gambling" and not this "entertainment" crap you hear of now.

Why is it not entertainment? Some of us play craps, blackjack, VP, and slots because we have fun doing so.
Ibeatyouraces
Ibeatyouraces
March 3rd, 2014 at 8:52:30 AM permalink
deleted
LarryS
LarryS
March 3rd, 2014 at 12:22:25 PM permalink

Why is it not entertainment? Some of us play craps, blackjack, VP, and slots because we have fun doing so.

if it was for the fun of it, you could stay home and do it and save alot of money.

A deck of cards is cheap. Even a cheap roulette whell can give you the fun you need.

There are computer and handheld video games of all casino games...."for the fun of it".

how many invite friends over to play roulette,,,just for the fun of it?

there are "fun" games out there....monopoly, risk, life, naked twister......but really is roulette, blackjack, craps really fun games that you play at home just for laughs?
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 212
March 3rd, 2014 at 1:50:17 PM permalink

There are computer and handheld video games of all casino games...."for the fun of it".

Actually, the existence of handheld machines (before apps became the thing) makes me think some people have been playing them for fun for quite awhile.

I owned a solitaire handheld years ago, but I've seen the poker ones and I think other casino games of chance along side those. I assume someone was buying them and playing them only for fun.
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
AxiomOfChoice
AxiomOfChoice
  • Threads: 32
March 3rd, 2014 at 2:09:16 PM permalink
Quote: Ibeatyouraces

I can to but I'll never put my hard earned money for something I can do for free at home.

I think that this is a perfectly reasonable point of view, but I think that it's also reasonable to want to go out and play in a casino. There is a social aspect to it, and having real money on the line makes it exciting. Casinos also have a certain "feel" to them (especially in Vegas) that you don't really get elsewhere.

It's no different from going out to a bar instead of drinking at home (going out to a bar is obviously more expensive), or going to a restaurant instead of eating at home, or going out to a movie rather than watching a movie on TV. There's nothing wrong with not doing any of these things, but there's also nothing wrong with spending your money doing them, if you enjoy them.
GWAE
GWAE
March 3rd, 2014 at 3:00:45 PM permalink
Quote: AxiomOfChoice

I think that this is a perfectly reasonable point of view, but I think that it's also reasonable to want to go out and play in a casino. There is a social aspect to it, and having real money on the line makes it exciting. Casinos also have a certain "feel" to them (especially in Vegas) that you don't really get elsewhere.

It's no different from going out to a bar instead of drinking at home (going out to a bar is obviously more expensive), or going to a restaurant instead of eating at home, or going out to a movie rather than watching a movie on TV. There's nothing wrong with not doing any of these things, but there's also nothing wrong with spending your money doing them, if you enjoy them.

+1

My point exactly. People watch sporting events for fun but there are hundreds of thousands of people who pay a ton of money to actually go to the event. Both watching at home and live are fun but in a different kind of way.
LarryS
LarryS
March 3rd, 2014 at 3:22:28 PM permalink
'FUN" is what people hide behind when they go to gamble and they lose. The " I lost 300 but at least I had fun" angle.

Casinos want people to approach it as an opportunity to "have fun"...rather than a serious endeavor to try to make money.

If they approach it as an opportuinty to have "fun".....then better chance they will alter their senses and mental acuity with free alcohol, and joke around with friends and not pay full attention....and the house who already has an edge....now has a bigger one.
  • Jump to: