Thread Rating:

Keyser
Keyser
  • Threads: 35
December 17th, 2013 at 5:32:01 PM permalink
Quote: onenickelmiracle

Makes more sense to not do what cannot be undone. Obviously an economy based on waste is unsustainable. We buy products which don't last and use energy we have no plans to live without a replacement for them.

A... not so fast. For starters, we could, techinically, if we really wanted to, reprocess our vast trash stock piles and turn them back into a combination of oil, methane, carbon, and some other useable chemicals. Now regarding our energy sources: We won't be running out of any of them anytime soon. For starters, oil, which many people have mistakenly referred to as a fosil fuel, is actually part of a geothermic process, much like methane. True, there can be biotic sources, but real geologists will tell you otherwise. The presence of huge amounts of methane on Saturn's moon Titan and in the atmospheres of Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus and Neptune is cited[1] as evidence of the formation of hydrocarbons without biology.[2] Another inexhaustable energy source is nuclear.

Quote: onenickelmiracle

Being totally screwed in decades is good enough reason regardless of whether or not the environment is being harmed.

Doom and gloom didn't sell well back in 1977 and it doesn't sell well today. Today, our country is on the cutting edge with research. Take a road trip across the US and you'll find vast wind farms. Don't worry, we're on the right track. The world will be just fine.

-Keyser
BizzyB
BizzyB
  • Threads: 5
January 7th, 2014 at 10:40:20 PM permalink
Quote: Nareed

They had to rebrand it, after all, as "Climate Change," because climate does nothing but change. it's cold, Climate Change. it's hot, Climate Change. There are too many hurricanes, Climate Change. There are too few hurricanes, Climate Change. There's a tsunami, Climate Change; even though tsunamis are seismic rather than meteorological, but who knows how nuclear power affects the movements of the Earth's crust over the mantle, so, Climate Change!

It's not a hoax. It's a scam. It brings in money for research and power for bureucrats. Next thing you know a gas we all exhale and that plants need in order to exist, will be classified as a pollutant by some government agency. Oh, wait....

Well, a tax on breathing should help drive up the debt, I mean, drive up the deficit, I mean, keep spending high, I mean, bring spending to new heights, I mean a politician is incapable of cutting a dime.

99% of scientists concur it is real. But we should ignore that and listen to the guy who can't spell bureaucrat.
BizzyB
BizzyB
  • Threads: 5
January 7th, 2014 at 10:45:50 PM permalink
Quote: boymimbo

Yeah, that's it, because when you break ice, it never forms again. I hate to tell you this, but the freezing point of ocean water is around -2 degrees celcius. When the sea is colder than that, it's ice. When it's warmer, it's water.

LOL. No. They broke the ice. What youre suggesting is that it somehow would fix itself if it were cold. Ludicrous!
24Bingo
24Bingo
  • Threads: 23
January 8th, 2014 at 5:03:06 PM permalink
Quote: Keyser

A... not so fast. For starters, we could, techinically, if we really wanted to, reprocess our vast trash stock piles and turn them back into a combination of oil, methane, carbon, and some other useable chemicals.

For someone so quick to be suckered in by creationist propaganda (see following), you seem to rather underestimate the hurdles put up by the second law of thermodynamics.

Now regarding our energy sources: We won't be running out of any of them anytime soon. For starters, oil, which many people have mistakenly referred to as a fosil fuel, is actually part of a geothermic process, much like methane. True, there can be biotic sources, but real geologists will tell you otherwise.

These "real geologists" ("real" from certain people always seems to mean "baselessly opposed to mainstream view I refuse to believe on X") were first Soviet propagandists fighting over Western Asia, then fundies using their "research" as a bucket to bail out the sea of evidence against their position. Processes by which abiotic methane and petroleum could form are known, but it's not known whether these actually occur naturally on Earth, and all known wells of the latter are believed to be biotic by all but a few kooks (and whether abiotic methane exists on Earth is in some dispute - extremophiles are responsible for at least some of what's thought by some to be abiotic). In any case, consider that you're hoping essentially the same process as geothermal energy, which we're using and which isn't sufficing, will power a reaction that will renew the oil enough to suffice (granted, if it were really happening, it would give us access to slightly more geothermic activity, but it would still have to be close enough for the oil to be accessible).

The presence of huge amounts of methane on Saturn's moon Titan and in the atmospheres of Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus and Neptune is cited[1] as evidence of the formation of hydrocarbons without biology.[2]

Source, the prestigious Journal of Typo. I'm not going to fight this, though, because the fact that abiotic methane can exist isn't in dispute.

Another inexhaustable energy source is nuclear.

It's a good idea, but it's not really correct to call it "inexhaustible" (much less "inexhaustable"); we're already at the point where uranium-235 isn't really viable to use anymore, and even the depleted uranium we have access to is finite.

Doom and gloom didn't sell well back in 1977 and it doesn't sell well today.

And yet, your entire thesis is dependent on it being "sold."

Today, our country is on the cutting edge with research.

Because the scientists aren't listening to you.
The trick to poker is learning not to beat yourself up for your mistakes too much, and certainly not too little, but just the right amount.
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 423
October 23rd, 2014 at 12:07:25 AM permalink
edited
"It's not enough to succeed, your friends must fail." Gore Vidal
HowMany
HowMany
  • Threads: 13
February 9th, 2015 at 4:51:54 PM permalink
Somewhere in an alternate universe (where "Global Warming" is actually REAL), I'm playing golf today.

However, in the universe that I currently reside, I'm getting bombarded with snow, again.

Whatever happened to the scientist's prediction-

"Soon, snow will be a thing of the past."
Dalex64
Dalex64
  • Threads: 1
February 9th, 2015 at 7:07:18 PM permalink
Why don't you just say: it gets cold at night therefore global warming isn't real. It makes just as much sense.
Frogger
Frogger
  • Threads: 14
February 14th, 2015 at 4:15:14 PM permalink
Quote: Dalex64

Why don't you just say: it gets cold at night therefore global warming isn't real. It makes just as much sense.

Hahhahahah
HowMany
HowMany
February 14th, 2015 at 5:09:43 PM permalink
Ten years from now, the data will show that Boston was snow free in 2015.
HowMany
HowMany
February 14th, 2015 at 5:11:23 PM permalink
I challenge the "warmers" to watch Al Gore's flick today.

The claims he made in that "documentary" are laughable.

• Jump to: