Virgi
Virgi
Joined: Apr 29, 2011
  • Threads: 0
  • Posts: 57
May 3rd, 2011 at 6:09:47 AM permalink
Quote: rdw4potus

Why offend/piss-off the Islamic world if people won't believe the pictures anyway? Not releasing the pictures is by-far the better position for us to be in.



There's the problem: coddling a religion instead of answering to the American people. If we never did another thing to pacify these odd people then no one would give a shit. But for some reason there's this feeling that we need to placate the animal arm of that strange & dangerous religion, maybe out of fear but certainly out of a lack of intelligence.
weaselman
weaselman
Joined: Jul 11, 2010
  • Threads: 20
  • Posts: 2349
May 3rd, 2011 at 8:41:25 AM permalink
Quote: rdw4potus

Why offend/piss-off the Islamic world if people won't believe the pictures anyway? Not releasing the pictures is by-far the better position for us to be in.


We are fighting a war in two Islamic countries simultaneously, but are cautious to offend them by releasing one photograph? Please ...
"When two people always agree one of them is unnecessary"
rdw4potus
rdw4potus
Joined: Mar 11, 2010
  • Threads: 80
  • Posts: 6963
May 3rd, 2011 at 8:50:51 AM permalink
Quote: weaselman

We are fighting a war in two Islamic countries simultaneously, but are cautious to offend them by releasing one photograph? Please ...



I think it's now 4 islamic countries: Iraq, Afghanistan, Pakistan, and Libya. And yes, drawing a distinction between the enemy combatants in those wars and the civilians in those countries is an absolute key to our success in those wars. The civilians' perception of our leadership and our forces in their land matters a great deal to the success and security of our forces in-country.
"So as the clock ticked and the day passed, opportunity met preparation, and luck happened." - Maurice Clarett
weaselman
weaselman
Joined: Jul 11, 2010
  • Threads: 20
  • Posts: 2349
May 3rd, 2011 at 9:08:35 AM permalink
Quote: rdw4potus

And yes, drawing a distinction between the enemy combatants in those wars and the civilians in those countries is an absolute key to our success in those wars.


Who is the civilian? Osama?
"When two people always agree one of them is unnecessary"
rdw4potus
rdw4potus
Joined: Mar 11, 2010
  • Threads: 80
  • Posts: 6963
May 3rd, 2011 at 9:10:38 AM permalink
Quote: weaselman

Who is the civilian? Osama?



Are you kidding me? It's not like we're fighting the entire country of Afghanistan...
"So as the clock ticked and the day passed, opportunity met preparation, and luck happened." - Maurice Clarett
weaselman
weaselman
Joined: Jul 11, 2010
  • Threads: 20
  • Posts: 2349
May 3rd, 2011 at 9:17:59 AM permalink
Quote: rdw4potus

Are you kidding me? It's not like we're fighting the entire country of Afghanistan...


I guess not ...
But if you were an afgan civilian would you be offended more by a foreign country invading your land or by a picture of a dead international terrorist appearing in some foreign paper?
"When two people always agree one of them is unnecessary"
rdw4potus
rdw4potus
Joined: Mar 11, 2010
  • Threads: 80
  • Posts: 6963
May 3rd, 2011 at 9:41:07 AM permalink
Quote: weaselman

I guess not ...
But if you were an afgan civilian would you be offended more by a foreign country invading your land or by a picture of a dead international terrorist appearing in some foreign paper?



Afghan civilians don't like the Taliban or Al Qaeda, but they also don't particularly like our troops. They'll tolerate the presence of our troops as long as they think we respect them and we're looking out for their interests by fighting their would-be oppressors. The safety of our troops on the ground relies heavily on the assistance (or at least not resistance) of the Afghan civilians. The reaction of the American public to the pictures matters a great deal. If the reaction to the picture(s) could uniformly be "dead international terrorist!" and not "dead Muslim dirtbag!," I suspect that things would be different. Sadly, based on what some people here are saying, that just isn't the case. It isn't worth risking the safety of our fighting forces overseas just so that we can view some ghastly images of OBL's corpse.
"So as the clock ticked and the day passed, opportunity met preparation, and luck happened." - Maurice Clarett
weaselman
weaselman
Joined: Jul 11, 2010
  • Threads: 20
  • Posts: 2349
May 3rd, 2011 at 11:25:01 AM permalink
Quote: rdw4potus

The reaction of the American public to the pictures matters a great deal. If the reaction to the picture(s) could uniformly be "dead international terrorist!" and not "dead Muslim dirtbag!," I suspect that things would be different. Sadly, based on what some people here are saying, that just isn't the case.



It isn't the case regardless. You are right, that is the (not completely uncalled for) reaction of (some of) the American public, and publishing or not publishing the picture of a corpse isn't going to change it one way or the other. That's exactly why I can't see this as an argument for suppressing the picture.
"When two people always agree one of them is unnecessary"
Virgi
Virgi
Joined: Apr 29, 2011
  • Threads: 0
  • Posts: 57
May 3rd, 2011 at 8:21:54 PM permalink
Here's a syndicated columnist who says we made a big mistake in killing OBL. His article today is "OSAMA BIN LADEN'S ULTIMATE VICTORY"

Ted Rall is an atheist and writes some cartoons dealing with these views.[6]

Like this is some sort of surprise. He's also 47 without family, he lives in Massachusetts, and I'll bet to those who know him he's just a little bit weird....
thecesspit
thecesspit
Joined: Apr 19, 2010
  • Threads: 53
  • Posts: 5936
May 3rd, 2011 at 9:32:06 PM permalink
Quote: Virgi

Here's a syndicated columnist who says we made a big mistake in killing OBL. His article today is "OSAMA BIN LADEN'S ULTIMATE VICTORY"

Ted Rall is an atheist and writes some cartoons dealing with these views.[6]

Like this is some sort of surprise. He's also 47 without family, he lives in Massachusetts, and I'll bet to those who know him he's just a little bit weird....



As weird as a man who creates sock puppets continually on a website? We've had one of those around here. What do you think of people like that?

Anyways, I thought y'all wanted him kept alive so you could watch him die? Make yer mind up...
"Then you can admire the real gambler, who has neither eaten, slept, thought nor lived, he has so smarted under the scourge of his martingale, so suffered on the rack of his desire for a coup at trente-et-quarante" - Honore de Balzac, 1829

  • Jump to: