Thread Rating:

Wavy70
Wavy70
Joined: Nov 3, 2009
  • Threads: 15
  • Posts: 907
February 11th, 2011 at 9:18:08 AM permalink
Quote: FleaStiff


Gambling site? I sure wish it had remained one. Instead it seems to have become more of a gay lifestyle gambling site.



So your solution is to make it a hate site?
Not sure where your spew is heading but I doubt we should start using 18th century Dutch rulers for guidance.

Think about the cost a person is paying for this website and the fact that it is ad free and it is this persons face to the world. Some day I hope you own a store and have someone spout garbage and offensive "ideas" and I am sure you will afford them the courtesy to allow them to continue.
I have a bewitched egg that I use to play VP with and I have net over 900k with it.
Wavy70
Wavy70
Joined: Nov 3, 2009
  • Threads: 15
  • Posts: 907
February 11th, 2011 at 9:19:41 AM permalink
Quote: OneAngryDwarf

Wizard, have you ever considered appointing other trusted forum members to be moderators, or at least co-moderate along with you? I've seen this sort of thing happen to just about every message board, where trolls and other undesirable elements gradually creep in and the poor guy who started it, with the noble goal of creating a place where people with a common interest can come together, gets in over his head. (Though thankfully, this board is still nowhere near as bad as others.)

Far be it from me to tell you how to run your site, but moderating an Internet message board is a very different job than analyzing casino games, and since the former task seems to be causing you some stress, obviously your paying job is what you should focus on. But as someone who enjoys this site and doesn't want to see it go away, I think appointing extra moderators is something to seriously consider.

(And before anyone says it, no, I have zero interest and hereby disqualify myself from the job. I just wanted to make the suggestion...)



Sad that it is needed with "Adults".
I have a bewitched egg that I use to play VP with and I have net over 900k with it.
DJTeddyBear
DJTeddyBear
Joined: Nov 2, 2009
  • Threads: 178
  • Posts: 10200
February 11th, 2011 at 9:42:09 AM permalink
Quote: Wizard

Valid point. However, I'm very left brained, and live in my own world organized by rules and order. If I don't abide by my own rules, then what do I stand for?

What I think may be called for is a nuclear option rule that for the greater good of the forum, I can delete posts, suspend/expel members, and do anything else I damn well please. Something for me to think about.

Please do. Or, select moderators to do your bidding.

Nobody here disputes that this is your playground. But a lot of us are surpised that you haven't used your King-Of-The-Hill status more.



Quote: FleaStiff

Gambling site? I sure wish it had remained one. Instead it seems to have become more of a gay lifestyle gambling site.

That was started AFTER getting the Wizard's blessing.

The "problem" with it, and with the Free Speech Zone, is that any member who comes to this site via a bookmark to the Recent Threats page, can't tell the difference between recent posts in those sub-forums or other sub-forums. This is a problem that is on JB's to-do list.
Superstitions are silly, childish, irrational rituals, born out of fear of the unknown. But how much does it cost to knock on wood? 😁 Note that the same could be said for Religion. I.E. Religion is nothing more than organized superstition. 🤗
OneAngryDwarf
OneAngryDwarf
Joined: Dec 17, 2009
  • Threads: 44
  • Posts: 254
February 11th, 2011 at 9:53:50 AM permalink
Quote: Wavy70

Sad that it is needed with "Adults".



It's the anonymity factor. Since people don't have to put their real name behind anything they write, they feel free to act in a way they wouldn't dare act to someone's face.
"I believe I've passed the age/of consciousness and righteous rage/I've found that just surviving was a noble fight... I once believed in causes too/I had my pointless point of view/And life went on no matter who was wrong or right..." --Billy Joel
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
Joined: Oct 14, 2009
  • Threads: 1323
  • Posts: 21755
February 11th, 2011 at 10:15:40 AM permalink
I am strongly thinking about a set of new rules and policies to take effect at the end of the month. Here are the changes I'm thinking of:

1. Higher expectations will be set for gentlemanly conduct. There will be fewer warnings and stronger punishments for violations.
2. I will appoint more administrators specifically tasked with busting offensive posts.
3. I will do away with the Free Speech Zone.
4. Extreme political rants will not be allowed. Granted, one person's extremist is another person's centrist. I pretty much draw the line at wishing harm upon somebody who has done no intentional harm to others.
5. There will be a nuclear option where I can invoke my right as a dictator whenever I feel like.

Discussion of topics not relating to gambling and Vegas will still be allowed. This is supposed to be a community, and none of us are defined by gambling and Vegas alone.
It's not whether you win or lose; it's whether or not you had a good bet.
Croupier
Croupier
Joined: Nov 15, 2009
  • Threads: 58
  • Posts: 1258
February 11th, 2011 at 10:23:44 AM permalink
Quote: Wizard

I am strongly thinking about a set of new rules and policies to take effect at the end of the month. Here are the changes I'm thinking of:

1. Higher expectations will be set for gentlemanly conduct. There will be fewer warnings and stronger punishments for violations.
2. I will appoint more administrators specifically tasked with busting offensive posts.
3. I will do away with the Free Speech Zone.
4. Extreme political rants will not be allowed. Granted, one person's extremist is another person's centrist. I pretty much draw the line at wishing harm upon somebody who has done no intentional harm to others.
5. There will be a nuclear option where I can invoke my right as a dictator whenever I feel like.

Discussion of topics not relating to gambling and Vegas will still be allowed. This is supposed to be a community, and none of us are defined by gambling and Vegas alone.



I concur completely. I must admit, I have some pretty strict opinions regarding crime and punisment, but I must admit FleaStiffs advocation of murder as a cost cutting exercise left me shocked. In the case of non resident pregnancy (the world over) I would just say that babies inherit the nationality of the parents automatically.

And Wiz, you should always remember: Its your party, you can cry if you want to. (so ends my bad analogy old with song lyrics)
[This space is intentionally left blank]
mkl654321
mkl654321
Joined: Aug 8, 2010
  • Threads: 65
  • Posts: 3412
February 11th, 2011 at 10:52:02 AM permalink
Quote: Wizard

I am strongly thinking about a set of new rules and policies to take effect at the end of the month. Here are the changes I'm thinking of:

1. Higher expectations will be set for gentlemanly conduct. There will be fewer warnings and stronger punishments for violations.
2. I will appoint more administrators specifically tasked with busting offensive posts.
3. I will do away with the Free Speech Zone.
4. Extreme political rants will not be allowed. Granted, one person's extremist is another person's centrist. I pretty much draw the line at wishing harm upon somebody who has done no intentional harm to others.
5. There will be a nuclear option where I can invoke my right as a dictator whenever I feel like.

Discussion of topics not relating to gambling and Vegas will still be allowed. This is supposed to be a community, and none of us are defined by gambling and Vegas alone.



I'm not particularly inclined to come to the defense of FleaStiff, but I think that he was using hyperbole rather than articulating an honestly held opinion. It is also worth noting that his proposed solution probably would work; China and Russia, as examples, don't have illegal immigration problems because they either shoot outright or put in labor camps anyone who tries to get in illegally. We're not willing to go that route, but many people are very frustrated that we don't enforce our own laws, and there's a lot of anger produced as a result.

I totally agree that neither Fleastiff's tone nor the content of his message were acceptable, but I think that any reaction to it should be modulated by the realization that it was hyperbole, and should not be taken at face value. There's a "piling on" phenomenon here, hardly unique to this board, that when one person criticizes another's post, everyone else feels compelled, and feels SAFE, to chime in. I don't object to the mass disapproval flung at FleaStiff so much as the collective decision to completely ignore that it was rhetorical exaggeration--everyone is acting as though he wants to murder women and children, as though he were an SS officer in a concentration camp or something.

I think we should save our outrage, given that we presumably have a finite amount of it (though I'm beginning to wonder about that). I do totally agree that the final decision belongs in the Wiz's hands, and he can do whatever he wants to re this site, INCLUDING breaking his own rules if he deems it necessary. Who pays the piper calls the tune.
The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one. The happiness of credulity is a cheap and dangerous quality.---George Bernard Shaw
Wavy70
Wavy70
Joined: Nov 3, 2009
  • Threads: 15
  • Posts: 907
February 11th, 2011 at 4:14:02 PM permalink
Quote: Wizard

I am strongly thinking about a set of new rules and policies to take effect at the end of the month. Here are the changes I'm thinking of:

1. Higher expectations will be set for gentlemanly conduct. There will be fewer warnings and stronger punishments for violations.
2. I will appoint more administrators specifically tasked with busting offensive posts.
3. I will do away with the Free Speech Zone.
4. Extreme political rants will not be allowed. Granted, one person's extremist is another person's centrist. I pretty much draw the line at wishing harm upon somebody who has done no intentional harm to others.
5. There will be a nuclear option where I can invoke my right as a dictator whenever I feel like.

Discussion of topics not relating to gambling and Vegas will still be allowed. This is supposed to be a community, and none of us are defined by gambling and Vegas alone.



Here here!
I have a bewitched egg that I use to play VP with and I have net over 900k with it.
thecesspit
thecesspit
Joined: Apr 19, 2010
  • Threads: 53
  • Posts: 5936
February 11th, 2011 at 5:56:50 PM permalink
Quote: FleaStiff



Gambling site? I sure wish it had remained one. Instead it seems to have become more of a gay lifestyle gambling site.



That's patently not true, given the number of posts about Gay Vegas and the number of posts about gambling and Vegas in the last few weeks.

Quote:


You had a thread on the COSTS of enforcing absurd laws. Well, I focused on the costs involved and the proper method for ending those expenses. Sorry if solving a problem rather than perpetuating it offended you.



I think you are an arsehole. My solution to this problem is therefore to shoot you and leave you dying in the desert. Sorry if solving a problem instead of perpetuating it offends you, or even inconveniences you in some way. A couple of rotting corpses on the Wizard of Vegas's (virtual) front porch will no doubt scare off others.
"Then you can admire the real gambler, who has neither eaten, slept, thought nor lived, he has so smarted under the scourge of his martingale, so suffered on the rack of his desire for a coup at trente-et-quarante" - Honore de Balzac, 1829
weaselman
weaselman
Joined: Jul 11, 2010
  • Threads: 20
  • Posts: 2349
February 12th, 2011 at 3:25:53 AM permalink
Quote: mkl654321

China and Russia, as examples, don't have illegal immigration problems because they either shoot outright or put in labor camps anyone who tries to get in illegally.


I don't know about China, but Russia does have a huge illegal immigration problem. The reason you don't hear about it as often is because it has so many other problems, this one just doesn't seem as important yet.

There is no need to shoot anyone. We don't even really need to decline the babies their citizenship. Just deport the mothers. Problem solved. And stop the government financing of their well being.
Despite what many people think, there are no technical or financial problems with enforcing the law. The only reason it's not enforced is political. Today's illegal immigrants are tomorrow's electorate (and their families are today's), that some politicians just do not want to alienate. If we started deporting illegals now, no Democrat would have much chance of winning elections in the observable future. Of course, they don't want that to happen, and will come up with any lame excuse they can to avoid it, like the common "you can't deport everyone" line.
"When two people always agree one of them is unnecessary"

  • Jump to: