Thread Rating:

Sonuvabish
Sonuvabish
  • Threads: 29
November 4th, 2014 at 3:30:52 PM permalink
Quote: Face

So no. It wasn't created to serve as a cesspool of hate.

LOL. Aw...BBB said yes (except for personal insults). So since 'mom' said yes, can I just ignore what you said?
Dicenor33
Dicenor33
  • Threads: 1
November 4th, 2014 at 4:04:05 PM permalink
I doubt anyone can shoot a pregnant woman. Is the world over populated? Absolutely. I see many people sell themselves so cheap, working makes no sence sometimes, because of salaries being so low. Yes it's man's destiny to participate at wars. It's always been that way. Peace is an abnormality. No laws will stop the desperate people to stop seeking better opportunities. Either it's peace and pregnant women crossing borders or it' s a global war with millions of casualties.
Sonuvabish
Sonuvabish
November 4th, 2014 at 5:58:54 PM permalink
Racial slur pending moderator approval
beachbumbabs
Administrator
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 99
November 4th, 2014 at 6:02:31 PM permalink
Quote: Sonuvabish

Racial slur pending moderator approval

??
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
Sonuvabish
Sonuvabish
November 4th, 2014 at 6:43:50 PM permalink
who's right, u or face? I personally think the free speech zone is meant to be a cesspool of hate.
1BB
1BB
  • Threads: 18
November 5th, 2014 at 10:45:58 AM permalink

Are racial epithets and hate speech directed at other forum members allowed in the FREE SPEECH zone? Or is it more like the content-regulated, 1st Amendment doesn't really exist zone?

It looks like it's allowed as long as it's not directed at forum members.

Forum Rule 8 says don't post anything that would violate the laws of Nevada or the United States.

The heading of the Free Speech Zone says that posts will not be busted, as long as they don't violate Nevada State law or Federal law. It doesn't say that no one will be suspended, it just says the post won't be busted.

Why Nevada law? Isn't this forum from New South Wales? Do we have to be lawyers to know what's illegal? For example football pools. Legal? Sending money across state lines for said pools. Legal?

Let's put the Free Speech Zone back under Recent Threads. What harm could it do? Were all adults here. It's probably a moot point anyway once the new owners revamp this forum to fit their business model.
Many people, especially ignorant people, want to punish you for speaking the truth. - Mahatma Ghandi
Face
Administrator
Face
  • Threads: 49
November 5th, 2014 at 11:13:03 AM permalink

who's right, u or face? I personally think the free speech zone is meant to be a cesspool of hate.

Quote: 1BB

It looks like it's allowed as long as it's not directed at forum members.

Forum Rule 8 says don't post anything that would violate the laws of Nevada or the United States.

The heading of the Free Speech Zone says that posts will not be busted, as long as they don't violate Nevada State law or Federal law. It doesn't say that no one will be suspended, it just says the post won't be busted.

Why Nevada law? Isn't this forum's owner from New South Wales? Do we have to be lawyers to know what's illegal? For example football pools. Legal? Sending money across state lines for said pools. Legal?

Let's put the Free Speech Zone back under Recent Threads. What harm could it do? Were all adults here. It's probably a moot point anyway once the new owners revamp this forum to fit their business model.

It wasn't my intention to overrule Babs. I've simply been here long enough that I remember the long ago.

The FSZ was never intended to be said cesspool. That isn't something Wiz would ever encourage. As I said, the FSZ is basically what DT is now; a place for the fringe. It predates the Religion sub forum, it predates the LGBT forum. It was supposed to be a catch-all for these types of discussions, discussions that could get heated.

As this place evolved, it became obsolete. Religion gained enough of a push that it got its own subforum. Nareed's efforts got her the LGBT forum. The only thing left was politics, and as you can see, politics goes everywhere unchecked. The FSZ no longer had a use, so it was closed.

Were it still viable, these political posts (there's what, 7 active right now?) would contain shouts of "Take it FSZ!", same as some threads still receive the "Take it to DT!" admonishment. But those posts, were they to go to FSZ, would live on in the same fashion regardless of where they stood. Going to FSZ didn't mean you were all of the sudden allowed to call someone a #^$% or a $^%& or a (*$^@## little $%^&#@!. It just meant you were allowed to talk about topics that were usually discouraged otherwise.
The opinions of this moderator are for entertainment purposes only.
Sonuvabish
Sonuvabish
November 5th, 2014 at 9:24:04 PM permalink
Quote: Face

It wasn't my intention to overrule Babs. I've simply been here long enough that I remember the long ago.

The FSZ was never intended to be said cesspool. That isn't something Wiz would ever encourage. As I said, the FSZ is basically what DT is now; a place for the fringe. It predates the Religion sub forum, it predates the LGBT forum. It was supposed to be a catch-all for these types of discussions, discussions that could get heated.

As this place evolved, it became obsolete. Religion gained enough of a push that it got its own subforum. Nareed's efforts got her the LGBT forum. The only thing left was politics, and as you can see, politics goes everywhere unchecked. The FSZ no longer had a use, so it was closed.

Were it still viable, these political posts (there's what, 7 active right now?) would contain shouts of "Take it FSZ!", same as some threads still receive the "Take it to DT!" admonishment. But those posts, were they to go to FSZ, would live on in the same fashion regardless of where they stood. Going to FSZ didn't mean you were all of the sudden allowed to call someone a #^$% or a $^%& or a (*$^@## little $%^&#@!. It just meant you were allowed to talk about topics that were usually discouraged otherwise.

OK, you're not overruling Babs. And the Wizard not encouraging a cesspool of hate isn't the same as prohibiting it. Anyway, hate speech is free speech! What's love, without hate?! So with that in mind, let's take 1BB's thoughts and do a hypothetical.

If I said "I hate (insert racial slur)" in this thread for no comprehensible reason, does that get a suspension?

And are slurs directed at others personal insults, since they are intended to insult others based on a group characteristic? Personal insult: X is stupid (obvious personal attack). Slur: X is a {racial slur} = X is a YYY-American. The only difference is the terminology; they have the same definition--one of which, is obviously not an insult.

To expand that further, hypothetically I say "X is a (racial slur)", but X does not belong to race. But Y, a member of that race, is offended. Is that a personal insult?
1BB
1BB
  • Threads: 18
November 6th, 2014 at 4:01:41 AM permalink

OK, you're not overruling Babs. And the Wizard not encouraging a cesspool of hate isn't the same as prohibiting it. Anyway, hate speech is free speech! What's love, without hate?! So with that in mind, let's take 1BB's thoughts and do a hypothetical.

If I said "I hate (insert racial slur)" in this thread for no comprehensible reason, does that get a suspension?

And are slurs directed at others personal insults, since they are intended to insult others based on a group characteristic? Personal insult: X is stupid (obvious personal attack). Slur: X is a {racial slur} = X is a YYY-American. The only difference is the terminology; they have the same definition--one of which, is obviously not an insult.

To expand that further, hypothetically I say "X is a (racial slur)", but X does not belong to race. But Y, a member of that race, is offended. Is that a personal insult?

I don't see anything prohibiting racial slurs but the rules allow a lot of creativity for the enforcers. One could argue that infanticide is illegal yet the advocation of it is allowed here. What about the legality of betting on football, weight loss or nugget consumption and sending funds across state and international borders? No problem with any of that but don't you dare call anyone a troll, whatever that's supposed to be.

"What we've got here is a failure to communicate". Cool Hand Luke.... 1967.
Many people, especially ignorant people, want to punish you for speaking the truth. - Mahatma Ghandi
Sonuvabish
Sonuvabish
November 12th, 2014 at 9:21:20 PM permalink
Quote: 1BB

I don't see anything prohibiting racial slurs but the rules allow a lot of creativity for the enforcers. One could argue that infanticide is illegal yet the advocation of it is allowed here. What about the legality of betting on football, weight loss or nugget consumption and sending funds across state and international borders? No problem with any of that but don't you dare call anyone a troll, whatever that's supposed to be.

"What we've got here is a failure to communicate". Cool Hand Luke.... 1967.

"a lot of creativity for the enforcers"...you can say that again.

I hereby advocate infanticide of all {insert racial slur} so as to further propagate a superior Race. Diversity yesterday, purge tomorrow.

Still waiting on whether we are free to use racial slurs...you might think this inquiry is silly, but I'm pretty sure journalists, movie producers, or the Framers of the Constitution would not think it's silly.

• Jump to: